Run program after finish creates zombies

rkkr

Hi,

Running build 24118 on Ubuntu 9.04 x64 (Server).

Having problems with function execute external program on .torrent finish. My external program is a very simple python script which finds the .rar file (if such exists) and extracts it. Verified that exceptions are handled and exit(0) is always returned.

Every time the .torrent finishes a python zombie process is created. I verified that utserver is the parent of them. Also after a short googling I found that zombies are created when child program exits (my script works), but parent program doesn't read the exit status, which leaves it hanging in the process table (which might be your bug).

utserver log is clean.

Thanks.

Running build 24118 on Ubuntu 9.04 x64 (Server).

There have been problems with running uTorrent Server on 64-bit Linux, so this may be part of the problem.

Every time the .torrent finishes a python zombie process is created. I verified that utserver is the parent of them. Also after a short googling I found that zombies are created when child program exits (my script works), but parent program doesn't read the exit status, which leaves it hanging in the process table (which might be your bug).

uTorrent Server runs finish_cmd and state_cmd in separate process groups from uTorrent Server so that those processes don't need to be waited on, so theoretically these processes shouldn't be becoming zombies and shouldn't be marked as being owned by uTorrent Server. If the function detaching the child process from uTorrent Server fails, the command doesn't get run. You are saying that the command gets run, though, as evidenced by the presence of the python zombies marked as being parented by uTorrent Server, so the detach call must be returning an indication that the detach succeeded (even though the child behaves as if the detach failed).

I'm working on getting uTorrent Server running on 64-bit Linux; I'll note this as something to check there.

• 1 month later...

Archived