µTorrent 3.0 64-bit experimental 25570

Firon

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a bug that i spotted long ago but forgot about it because there were more annoying bugs. Now utorrent works pretty fine for me and I'd like you to check the following:

I don't use uTorrent 24/7. I usually find something to download and after it is downloaded I stop the torrent, delete if from the list and close the uTorrent. So when i press File --> Exit it freezes for about 5 seconds and then exits. The strange thing is that it's not always behave like that. Sometimes it exits fine. Maybe uTorrent does some actions after deleting torrent from the list, so it doesn't allow to exit until all actions are completed. Check this please.

And one more thing. Windows 7 allows to change the size of system UI elements to provide the best visibility. For example I have a FullHD resolution on only 22-inch screen, so in 100% mode things don't look really good. So I have a 125% size

http://i.piccy.info/i5/97/37/1563797/screen_dpi.png

Thats why uTorrent icon doesn't look well in tray, because i have 20x20 icons instead of 16x16 by default and it is streched from 16x16 to 20x20

http://i.piccy.info/i5/20/38/1563820/tray.png

As you can see the icon on the left looks fine, because it is 20x20 or higher. So it would be great if you add 20x20 icon or change anything else to fix that problem. Thanks a lot ;)

Yes, both of these are real issues.

The first problem can be caused by many things: disk cache flushing, tracker disconnects, etc.

These are all things that utorrent really has to do. The problem is that:

• We could do some of these things earlier

• We should really let the user know what's going on while we are shutting down, otherwise it can look like we are hanging

The second problem is one of our problems where we don't deal with Windows DPI settings.

Be assured, the dev team knows about these two, and we will fix them, but we probably won't get to them before the 3.0 stable.

Thank you for reporting them.

I've been having issues with utorrent wiping out my networking capability on exit. It's not specific to any version, and I assume it's because I've got >1k torrents loaded and seeding at any one time. I assume it is just messing things up trying to announce to 1k trackers at the same time. Is there any tuning I can do to help this? Anything you can do for utorrent so it handles edge cases like mine more gracefully?

I've been having issues with utorrent wiping out my networking capability on exit. It's not specific to any version, and I assume it's because I've got >1k torrents loaded and seeding at any one time. I assume it is just messing things up trying to announce to 1k trackers at the same time. Is there any tuning I can do to help this? Anything you can do for utorrent so it handles edge cases like mine more gracefully?

You could try lowering net.max_halfopen. It should respect this setting. But it will make the shutdown take a LOT longer.

When I select to show apps then utorrent freezes up and 1 min later it eats 151-160mb memory in working set. I created minidump with process explorer and smallest was 3829kb.

What OS? What version of IE? Also, please create a dump with task manager, not process explorer.

Could you please make a "Preview" option for movies, songs and other media files?

An option that makes the program download only the first specified number of pieces and then stop downloading and wait for the user's confirmation to continue download!

As you can see the icon on the left looks fine' date=' because it is [b']20x20 or higher. So it would be great if you add 20x20 icon or change anything else to fix that problem. Thanks a lot ;)

Actually, if the icon is encoded in the newer larger windows icon format (PNG format, not the legacy BMP format), you can put in varying sizes up to a 256x256 icon in, and windows will scale it smoothly to the needed size. There's more information and guidelines here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511280.aspx

Yes, we will be fixing the icon for Win7 in 3.0 stable.

You could try lowering net.max_halfopen. It should respect this setting. But it will make the shutdown take a LOT longer.

I'll do some testing and see how low it needs to be to not wipe out network connectivity. I'm not really concerned about shutdown speed as long as it does it correctly.

BUG: if ASLR is set to Always On in Windows, uTorrent crashes at startup.

you can test this by downloading EMET and setting ASLR to Always On. Haven't tested this with the 32-bit build but definitely happens with the 64-bit build. meaning uTorrent doesn't work with ASLR.

BUG: if ASLR is set to Always On in Windows, uTorrent crashes at startup.

you can test this by downloading EMET and setting ASLR to Always On. Haven't tested this with the 32-bit build but definitely happens with the 64-bit build. meaning uTorrent doesn't work with ASLR.

We'll look into this, thanks.

BUG: if ASLR is set to Always On in Windows' date=' uTorrent crashes at startup.

you can test this by downloading EMET and setting ASLR to Always On. Haven't tested this with the 32-bit build but definitely happens with the 64-bit build. meaning uTorrent doesn't work with ASLR.[/quote']

We'll look into this, thanks.

i posted instructions on how to force aslr to always on so i'll just quote it.
Microsoft has a free tool called EMET which can be used to force aslr to be Always On.

this is considered an unsafe setting since AMD's graphics drivers don't work with it and cause a BSOD at boot. Not sure if this has been remedied since i last tried this 1.5 years ago but nvidia's drivers work fine.

Anyways, to enable it, you first need to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EMET after installing and setting EnableUnsafeSettings to 1. After that, launching EMET and setting ASLR to Always On will work. A reboot is then required.

I do this step for extra security on my PC as malware can get annoying.

I started using build 25329 yesterday.

I am a fairly heavy bittorent user but have noticed no problems so far on my new 64bit Win7 computer(8GB Ram, Athlon II Quadcore)

The streaming feature is nice.

Only bug I have found so far is, If I click on the search icon the application hangs right away.

1 other bug, can't select individual files in the torrent. They immediately unselect themselves.

Sorry if this was reported already and is known bug: when I start the application I get the pop-up about the new 64-bit version, but if I accept to try it out, I get a msg saying there was an error trying to download it or sth. If this is not a known issue, and admin/mod here could send me a very short mail if they want more details about it.

I found this really annoying bug. When i download big torrents, I would like tor prioritize few file inside the torrent.

I select the files in files tab and right-click > prioritize by file order.

But with 3.0 x 64, some the the file items get automatically deselected. it seems that some unnecessary refreshing happening in the file tab

I started using build 25329 yesterday.

Only bug I have found so far is, If I click on the search icon the application hangs right away.

1 other bug, can't select individual files in the torrent. They immediately unselect themselves.

I found this really annoying bug. When i download big torrents, I would like tor prioritize few file inside the torrent.

I select the files in files tab and right-click > prioritize by file order.

But with 3.0 x 64, some the the file items get automatically deselected. it seems that some unnecessary refreshing happening in the file tab

I've been using the same build, 25329, since it was released.

I also have a problem with the search button in the category list but not the search button in the toolbar.

I also have trouble with selecting individual files and when I try to select multiple files as otherneo reports but it is not consistent. I've tried seeing if I can find circumstances that make it consistently selectable or not. A couple of things that I think I'm seeing. I don't seem to have trouble with torrents with a finished status. Seeding torrents and downloading torrents seem to have more difficulties. It seems to help if I chose to sort the individual files by the first piece.

Archived