µTorrent 3.0 64-bit experimental 25570

Firon

The goals about ratios is to help insure that everyone who wants a specific torrent can get it. That is why a suggested ration is 1.5. You give/return 50% more than what you get. It is nothing more than a guide, hint, poke in the ribs, etc. to tell you to share and think of other downloaders.

However, ratios can get screwed up. (Although I have heard that trackers will keep better stats and therefor they know what your actual ratio is - important to private trackers.) At one time, I downloaded about 4000+ torrents (alot of files). I lost all my data on the file server - poor backup procedures. At the time when I started uTorrent, it crashed on loading the torrents I was currently downloading and those that were completed. So I had to re-add the torrents, force re-check on those torrents where I still had data files, and go on from there. Needless to say the ratio on newly added torrents is zero, regardless as to how much of the download is already completed. uTorrent does not assume anything. It cannot determine how much of the data file I have allready uploaded. Therefor if I only need 1 piece of the file to complete, the ratio is based on that 1 piece vs the amount of up-load going forward. It is very easy to reach 400 ratio when the fact is it may be closer to 1, 1.5 or even less than 1.

I can not think of a method where it would make since for uTorrent to have a feature to query a tracker to determine what your ratio is on a specific torrent, unless the torrent was only tied to 1 specific tracker and not using DHT or peer exchange. Would you query each tracker, take the highest, average, what? Remember some trackers go down, and if they were down when you stopped seeding, they would not get notified what your current ratio is. And in the above example, would 400 really make since as a ratio.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since there's no any dump file I submit a record from Event Log:

Faulting application name: utorrent-3.0-latest.x64.exe, version: 3.0.0.25570, time stamp: 0x4e53e6b5Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000Exception code: 0xc0000005Fault offset: 0x00000000f07e30a0Faulting process id: 0x158cFaulting application start time: 0x01ccb97fc8f43d8fFaulting application path: E:\Программы\P2P\µTorrent 3.1.26595\utorrent-3.0-latest.x64.exeFaulting module path: unknownReport Id: 0795f84e-2573-11e1-b844-00a0d1a27656Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I don't know if this has been reported before, but I came across a bug on build 25570.

On the files tab, I wanted to select some files and choose "don't download" from the right-click menu, but I wasn't able to select them because all the files would get unselected, like the list constantly got refreshed. The files wouldn't stay selected for even one second, so there was no time to open the right-click menu and choose 'don't download'. Eventually, I was forced to go back to uTorrent x86 in order to successfully select and skip those files.

Hope this gets addressed. Thanks for uTorrent x64!

We've finally made a 64-bit release of µTorrent 3.0 that is stable enough for public testing. Please check it out! It may be considerably buggier than the 32-bit release, but please report all bugs specific to the 64-bit release in this thread.

It seems to me that its pretty difficult to be "considerably buggier than the 32-bit release".

May I humbly suggest that you concentrate all available ressources to fix the numerous problemsof 3.0 / 3.1 ??

It seems totally inadequate to develop any extensions ( The Plus paying add-ons) or 64 bits ports until the very fundamental design flaws of the Genenation 3.x have been fixed - or abandonned and redeveloped on a new base, which seems not so crazy given the time elapsed since the first release ...

We've finally made a 64-bit release of µTorrent 3.0 that is stable enough for public testing. Please check it out! It may be considerably buggier than the 32-bit release' date=' but please report all bugs specific to the 64-bit release in this thread.

[/quote']

It seems to me that its pretty difficult to be "considerably buggier than the 32-bit release".

May I humbly suggest that you concentrate all available resources to fix the numerous problems of 3.0 / 3.1 ??

It seems totally inadequate to develop any extensions ( The Plus paying add-ons) or 64 bits ports until the very fundamental design flaws of the Generation 3.x have been fixed - or abandoned and redeveloped on a new base, which seems not so crazy given the time elapsed since the first release ...

And here I was thinking on the total opposite end of the spectrum. I do however agree that the 32 bit version should be abandoned. I was hoping that now with most computer setups out there having not only two cores, but three and four; and with the rumors that Windows 8 will only be released in 64 bit. I was thinking it is time to stop dividing the limited resources used to try and support both the legacy 32 bit and the current 64 bit and just concentrate on the 64 bit. Seems the only logical choice.

And here I was thinking on the total opposite end of the spectrum. I do however agree that the 32 bit version should be abandoned. I was hoping that now with most computer setups out there having not only two cores, but three and four; and with the rumors that Windows 8 will only be released in 64 bit. I was thinking it is time to stop dividing the limited resources used to try and support both the legacy 32 bit and the current 64 bit and just concentrate on the 64 bit. Seems the only logical choice.

absolutely agreed that software x32 should be ported gradually and updated to x64 that is the near future instead of still developing for a dead zone (x32) with the inherent limitations of such architecture, well valid in this near past but the x64 version OS are grooving and grooving and I guess that OS and software should be in the same source (x64) moreover when it's expected that next windows 8 would be only in this architecture.

of course I'm not firming the roots of a new development, these are only wishes of what I think, for sure that could be absolutely different from another human being thoughts ;)

Although I would love to see the 64bit version meet the 32bit standard (even with the bugs in the 32bit), it is unreasonable to expect uTorrent maintain two separate code bases. They probably should not have even released the 64bit version. Remember this is a "Free" product. Many users are still using xp. So unless and until the majority of their customer base migrates to the 64 bit platform, the requirement for a 32bit application is still there. I do not see the benefit for uTorrent to devote what few resources they have to work on the 64bit version. It would be interesting to see the number of users on the various platforms.

I agree. Also, why should µTorrent work on prerelease operating systems? There is honestly no reason for it even to support 64-bit architecture since (I pray) µTorrent won't ever need to use over 4gb of ram on its own. This is becoming almost as bad as people demanding Firefox 64-bit stables without understanding it's unnecessary.

I agree. Also, why should µTorrent work on prerelease operating systems?

I guess, just because WDP turns to Beta at January and then drifts to the final. Isn't that better way to be aware of possible problems and bugs in good time?

And, by the way, it was uTorrent devs' decision to begin with x64 version, not just our demands;)

Just a simple question - I'm running the x64 Build 25329 - I haven't had any *real bad* problems and my downloads are much improved over the 32-bit current release build. Now I have the 25570 build downloaded and just wondered if I should un-install the current build I have before installing the 25570 build? Or can I just install over top of the current one? Years of experience have taught me to *always* un-install first, but I just wanted to check before I possibly screw up. Thanks for any reply, and for the hard work that goes into the software.

Thanks!

NSK

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing, after installing Version 3.0 beta (build 25570) I closed it down and restarted the program. Upon restart it askes me if I wanted to update to the newest beta version. Not thinking I took it and it turned out to be 32bit version instead. Why would it update from 64 bit to 32bit. Seems strange to me that it downgrade itself.

Archived