Installation Problems in Kubuntu 10.10

swiftdr

I'm having problems getting uTorrent set up. I downloaded the files and extracted them as directed.

When I start the server, it doesn't create any of its configuration files and I get "The µTorrent WebUI does not seem to be installed. Click here to try to install it, or see the guide for more details." after trying to login to the WebUI.

What's weird is that I followed the exact same procedure on my Cr48 with Ubuntu dual-booting and uTorrent created configuration files and was accessible through the WebUI.

Please help!

• 8 months later...
check the command you are using to start utserver. Make sure webui.zip is in the right folder. Also I've noticed utserver tends to look for the files in whatever directory you issue the command from, so /home/utorrent/utserver is different than cd /home/utorrent ./utserver

This was very useful information for me. I was trying to get utorrent server to start on my headless ubuntu 10.04 lts installation, and every time I would restart, it would lose the WebUI and I'd have to totally reconfigure it--only to lose everything on the next boot.

If you want utorrent server to run at startup on ubuntu, DON'T add the executable to the startup application list.

Rather, make a new document called something like "startup.sh" with 2 lines in it that look like this:

cd /directory/you/installed/utorrent/server/
./utserver

That will work, as opposed to the command that launches it directly from the executable, such as:

/director/you/installed/utorrent/server/utserver

The idea is, as hampsterblade pointed out, that you have to actually be inside the working directory when you launch it (for some not-so-brilliant reason)... and utorrent uses this directory to find it's settings and webui.zip file.

I hope this helps to clarify everything for some poor fool such as myself. :D

The idea is, as hampsterblade pointed out, that you have to actually be inside the working directory when you launch it (for some not-so-brilliant reason)... and utorrent uses this directory to find it's settings and webui.zip file.

Look in the docs - there are some command-line arguments you can use to keep uTorrent Server from looking in the current working directory for certain files and directories. That way, you can run utserver from any directory by using full paths to the executable and the arguments that point to directories or files.

uTorrent Server shares some code with our embedded products - that's why there are all the command-line arguments, so that embedded customers can set up the software on device startup, similar to what uTorrent Server administrators often would want to do.

uTorrent Server looks in the current directory by default because the embedded product does so by default. It allows users to extract the archive, cd to the directory created by the archive, and run ./utserver from that directory, just to start using it typically without any big configuration required.

The product is not really meant to launch via double-click from a GUI file browser, but I think it will do that if the file browser sets the current directory as the directory where the utserver executable lives.

Archived