Usb hdd gets disconnected after a while when downloading huge torrent.

Geocities

I'm trying to download a gigantic 600gig torrent but µtorrent keeps getting disconnected from my usb hdd after downloading 500megs of the torrent, clicking on force download works for a while but then it goes back to getting disconnected :/.

I'm using a asus eee with only 512mb ram+1tb external usb hdd so i wonder if I need some specific disk cache option?.

Hi,

I don't quite understand what do you mean by "disconnect". Do you mean that the DL & UL speeds drop to zero?

If that is the case and assuming that your mega torrent is composed of several files, then, check the activity light on the HDD enclosure (if it has one - it should). If it flickers constantly while the speed drops to zero, what's happening is that uTP just ordered the HDD to create a few monster files of several Gigs each and while the HDD is doing so, it is busy so, it won't take any info from the USB interface. Solution? Replace the USB interface (i.e. buy a better HDD enclosure) or, be patient. Eventually, the HDD will finish writing the mega file and DL will resume.

I have seen this happening with cheap USB or SATA interfaces. With more expensive ones it would seem to work. Also, I have seen this effect happening with ATA interfaces. So, I guess my explanation is not entirely correct, but ballpark only. However, the solutions outlined above do work.

Good luck!

:)

3206369793b753859677b.jpg

Hello and thanks for the reply.

I think the creation of the chunks gets in conflict the files that are at the same time being downloaded to the hdd and thus this kills the process cause the hdd connection is getting overloaded, the hdd just resets itself and no chunks are being created, it just sits there static.

Forcing works once but then the next time you try to force it µtorrent refuses to find the hdd.

I'm gonna try the hdd on a linux computer and see if it behaves in the same manner as it might possibly just be how XP handles the flow to it (a extremely loose theory of mine ;) ).

*EDIT*

So I cracked the enclosure open and tried using one of these on the hdd:

sata61.jpg

And behold now µtorrent doesn't loose contact anymore!, so the problem definitely was the sata/usb adapter hardware inside the enclosure.

:)

Archived