Port Open, but red circle on uTorrent

Jackpine

I have a Speedstream 4200 modem and a new D-Link DIR655 modem. They are both installed and working. (I also have ZoneAlarm Pro, with the Windows firewall turned off.) I used the uTorrent setup guide. My download speed is set at 350kB/s and upload at 60kB/s. When I check the network using the uTorrent setup guide, the result is that the port is open and the network is properly configured. However, at the bottom of the uTorrent program, the normally green circle shows red indicating the port is not open. I don't understand this.

My internet connection is working fine and my updload and download speeds are fine as well, being able to reach the above settings. Any help on my settings (if that is what is the problem) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Anyways, before I uninstall ZoneAlarm, please explain a few things:

1. What will provide my firewall function - the router?

2. What about the firewall that is part of Windows XP; do I need to get rid of that too? Can I eve do that? If I simply disable it, and if that's good enough, why is it necessary to uninstall ZoneAlarm instead of just disabling it?

3. With ZoneAlarm, I can configure the firewall so that I get notifications for programs wanting access to my computer. I can allow them or prevent them. Will I still have that capability with the router firewall or Windows XP firewall?

I want to understand the implications of what you are asking me to do before I do it; hence the questions.

Thanks again.

PS. I did set up my computer IP address to be static using PFStatic Address. I then forwarded the port from uTorrent (set at 30031) using the PortForward guide. However, when I check using PFPortChecker, it says the port is not forwarded, yet uTorrent port checker says it is forwarded, but the red circle still shows. I guess that's because of ZoneAlarm still being installed.

1. What will provide my firewall function - the router?

Yes.

2. What about the firewall that is part of Windows XP; do I need to get rid of that too? Can I eve do that? If I simply disable it, and if that's good enough, why is it necessary to uninstall ZoneAlarm instead of just disabling it?
You can actually only turn off the windows firewall because it actually listens when you tell it to turn off, unlike zonealarm.
3. With ZoneAlarm, I can configure the firewall so that I get notifications for programs wanting access to my computer. I can allow them or prevent them. Will I still have that capability with the router firewall or Windows XP firewall?
Windows firewall yes, router no. By the time something is on your computer, it's too late for software firewalls to protect you.

Archived