uTorrent zeroing files after re-check/move?

manys

Twice now I've had files *disappear* after re-checking torrents after moving them. I think they're checking up to 99.7% or whatever, the torrent starts and downloads the remaining few bytes, then it copies over itself or something apparently destructive. Has anybody else seen this?

This is 3.0 Alpha (build 24613) and my partial/complete directories are different. One aspect that may speak to that, though, is that both of these instances were cases where I had to re-establish the torrents. That is, importing torrents for completed downloads.

I "relocate" and "set download location..." for each of the torrents and files, run a re-check, inevitably there is a minor percentage remaining due to path changes or whatever, the torrent goes active, presumably downloads that 0.3%, then in the process of (I'm assuming) moving the torrent files into place (where they already are), the files disappear.

I'm guessing that "Move downloads to..." in settings, "Set Download location...", and "Relocate..." (in a torrent's file context menus) are stepping on each other somehow. I don't think tags are involved since the directories aren't created within my set-download-location directory (which has happened before), though I do move my downloads according to tags ("Append tag...").

If the forced recheck of a complete file reaches only 97-99%, so there is likely a program that accessed to your file and modified it, like a media player changing the tags of audio files.

Do you observe this issue for various files or only media files like video or audio (mp3 etc)?

Anyway you need to update to the latest alpha 3.0, because you don't have the latest version. And as it's alpha, strong bugs are present.

And you can read and report your issues in the main thread: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=63247

I know of the short re-checks as being a side-effect of moving files, though I'm not sure if this is a resume.dat thing. Regardless, I never experienced this in my years of running utorrent, so maybe it is indeed an alpha problem. I just wish they weren't rare files that I lost.

Thanks for the tip on the thread. Typically (i.e. on the wild internet) "Announcement" groups are not replyable by lusers so I tend not to check them.

No. Only with multifile torrent and if you have skipped some files.

Imagine you download the torrent including the files A, B & C and you skipp A & C.

Move complete B without the partfile (or delete the partfile). Force a recheck and µt will not reach 100%, it discards the edge pieces overlaying the complete file and the skipped files.

Archived