µTorrent Mac 1.5.14 stable

Firon

"Whenever I download the .torrent file, and adds it manually, the download goes to my Downloads-folder.

If I use magnet-links, the download goes to Application Support folder instead!!"

yep same here with 1.5.2. I don't know yet if the newest version suffers from the same problem.

Fixed in 1.5.3.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for clearing it, Theron. I was assuming some other problem :P

The crash rate is very low on my setup (a hackintosh);

can't remember a recent crash (or older, for that matter).

At 14 crashes per 1000 you probably won't see many crashes on average but in reality it's likely there are a number of people that have something in their settings or resume file that cause it to crash much more frequently, such as a terabyte+ sized torrent with tens of thousands of files where they select every other file to download (a possible crash I'm looking in to now).

We like to shoot for 4 to 6 crashes per 1000.

About the "irregular" cpu load; is there any usefull feed back i can give to you guys? I mean,

is sampling the process useful in this case?

Any time your machine goes in to high CPU load because of our client please feel free to send me a sample along with a screen shot and an explanation of the conditions under which this is occurring including OS version, machine setup and wether or not any of the target locations are on an external or network drive. Any information we get can help us nail down the problem.

Also a request/suggestion:

what do you guys think of adding a button (e.g. near the Seed Ratio one, on the statusbar)

to easily set the "Per torrent limit" of connections?

I would put it to good use :) i only raise that number, if a torrent with many seeders, doesn't

connect me with a good seeder/s (which often happens), else i usually keep it limited to 10 or less.

The client is pretty good about choosing peers from the list available from the trackers, DHT and peer exchange. Tweaking the limits on a per torrent basis up or down when there are user storms may not be as helpful as you might think as everybody is competing for a small number of peers with a set maximum bandwidth but if it's a feature you think would be popular you may want to post it on uservoice:

http://utorrentideas.uservoice.com/forums/58959-torrent-mac

http://utorrentideas.uservoice.com/forums/47263-torrent-for-windows

Since this feature would require some core changes to implement I would recommend posting it on the windows client board since they see much more traffic. If it makes it in to the windows client and in to our core code it will be a trivial addition to the mac client.

Hey Theron:

When do you think there would be a final version of utorrent 1.5. Most private sites do not accept beta and I would love to have the feature set of the beta client which are currently missing in 1.0.2

Thanks for the time and keep up the good work.

Thanks again for the attention; been a bit busy, thus the delay in returning answer...

Any time your machine goes in to high CPU load because of our client please feel free to send me a sample along with a screen shot and an explanation of the conditions under which this is occurring including OS version, machine setup and wether or not any of the target locations are on an external or network drive. Any information we get can help us nail down the problem.

Ok... i'll keep an eye on it; been calm on those events in the past few days...

The client is pretty good about choosing peers from the list available from the trackers, DHT and peer exchange. Tweaking the limits on a per torrent basis up or down when there are user storms may not be as helpful as you might think as everybody is competing for a small number of peers with a set maximum bandwidth but if it's a feature you think would be popular you may want to post it on uservoice:

http://utorrentideas.uservoice.com/forums/58959-torrent-mac

http://utorrentideas.uservoice.com/forums/47263-torrent-for-windows

Since this feature would require some core changes to implement I would recommend posting it on the windows client board since they see much more traffic. If it makes it in to the windows client and in to our core code it will be a trivial addition to the mac client.

Well, i'll have to think; was more seeking for an opinion.

Just to be sure we are talking about the same.. i didn't meant "Tweaking the limits on a per torrent basis...", like each torrent with it's limit; i meant changing the "Per torrent limit:" on "Preferences --> BitTorrent --> Connections:"; i like to keep it low, specially when i'm seeding; when downloading i only raise it if necessary and usually i don't keep finished torrents seeding along; diff rules for diff activities :)

It would be a button much like the existing ones for down/upload and ratio.

It would be pointless to release a stable version before release of Lion. So, I guess we will see a stable version only in august... :|

Out of curiosity, why is a stable linked to the release of Lion. Any bugs in 1.5.3 due to changes in Lion would also be present in 1.0.2 and it is not like jailbreaking (yet) where Apple would close a loophole?

Running 1.5.3, having some trouble with smart feeds -

I've got a feed that requires http auth/cookie - the feed is displaying in uTorrent, and my smart feeds are showing up in the Smart Feed Filter column of the appropriate entries on the feed, but when I click on the actual Smart Feed no matched entries are listed, and matched files are not adding to the download queue automatically, nor can I right-click and Start Download from the context menu.

Running osx 10.6, saving to an SMB share.

Does the feed itself work? Can you download the torrent from the master feed, but the smart feed is not showing the same torrent and not autodownloading? If that's the case, you can try "clear feed history" on the smart feed. Maybe it was already started at some point and now it's not showing up anymore. Or maybe it's a bug. Please let us know your results and we'll try to get it fixed.

Does the feed itself work? Can you download the torrent from the master feed, but the smart feed is not showing the same torrent and not autodownloading? If that's the case, you can try "clear feed history" on the smart feed. Maybe it was already started at some point and now it's not showing up anymore. Or maybe it's a bug. Please let us know your results and we'll try to get it fixed.

The main feed appears to work (it populates) but downloading from the feed does not work - neither double-click nor ctrl-click->Start Download nor clicking the + sign in the feed.

When viewing the rss feed, the Smart Feed Filter column shows the smart feed that should match, but when I view the Smart feed, no torrents are listed. I believe I cleared the history, but I'll do so again.

Any other info I can provide that would help?

will Check for Updates from the current 1.5.3 beta work?

Manual check worked; automatic didn't... it's better then nothing :)

p.s.: i think i have an issue; i've been trying to download this very poorly seeded torrent (3 seeds) for over a week; i added it via magnet link at the time, to check the location issue.

Now i was looking at the client and decided to remove the torrent and add it via .torrent file, and i immediately get a connection. Tested it a couple of times and always no connection with magnet.

Can this be related to the client?.. tested with 1.5.3/4.

Wouldn't it be nice with smart feed-folders? I have around 100 smart feeds, and it would be nice to make them foldered like TV , Movies , Apps and so on :)

Also I would like to have an option to say in which interval the rss will be updated. As it is now, its too slow. :)

In 1.5.4: 109.6% CPU load (according to Activity Monitor)

This is on 10.6.8, saving to a non-Spotlight-indexed folder (had trouble with MDS before), on an external usb-drive.

Once the CPU usage went into overdrive, it was impossible to exit uTorrent without Force Close. Additionally, it did not seem as though it was successfully downloading/saving anything.

After restarting uTorrent, CPU usage returned to ~20% and everything seems fine again. For now.

25424 works fine with 10.5.8. No problems so far. :D

EDIT : actually I just discovered something really unpleasent :

25242 suddenly "froze" (= it didn't react to mouse clicks though the seeding and leeching went on). I wanted to restart it but UT didn't react to Ctrl+Q.

Then I thought "Ok I'll force quit it". Well UT 25242 didn't react to that either. So I had to switch off the Mac by pulling the plug off the power main and restart the machine.

A bit annoying and potentially dangerous for the computer itself. I hope it won't happen again... ;)

25242 works fine now but it's the very first time I see a version of UT not reacting to a "force quit" order.

(fyi I'm on 10.5.8)

[2011-07-14 edit : it hasn't happened again]

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 rss feeds. First one works fine but the second one not.

I get all the torrents from that feed but when I try to download them it doens't work. I get no error or so but nothing downloads. The other feed works fine...

When I try the same feed in 'Automatic' it works fine! So the cookie works...?

Feed format: http://www.xxx.tld/rss.php?passkey=pppp&username=uuuu&direct:COOKIE:uid=cccc;pass=aaaaa&direct

Archived