µTorrent Mac 1.5.14 stable

Firon

So does anyone else have a problem with uTorrent 1.5.2 storing all downloads in Application Support folder?

I also have duplicate folders like these:

"Bittorrent+download+(year)" and "Bittorrent download (year)"

I hope this will be fixed in 1.5 stable

Yes, same problem here.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So does anyone else have a problem with uTorrent 1.5.2 storing all downloads in Application Support folder?

I also have duplicate folders like these:

"Bittorrent+download+(year)" and "Bittorrent download (year)"

I hope this will be fixed in 1.5 stable

Yes' date=' same problem here.[/quote']

Works fine for me... Did you try to remove your settings files and reconfigure utorrent

@zadigre

Yes I even uninstalled the whole program using AppZapper, redownloaded the 1.5.2, and installed it.

Same problem, even with "Downloads" set as default folder in uTorrent's settings.

#Eligos has the same problem it seems.

I don't know how AppZapper works exactly when it deletes all traces of a program...

so are you sure that it deleted the settings.dat file in ~/Library/Application Support/uTorrent/ ?

@zadigre

Yes I even uninstalled the whole program using AppZapper' date=' redownloaded the 1.5.2, and installed it.

Same problem, even with "Downloads" set as default folder in uTorrent's settings.

[b']#Eligos has the same problem it seems.

I don't know how AppZapper works exactly when it deletes all traces of a program...

so are you sure that it deleted the settings.dat file in ~/Library/Application Support/uTorrent/ ?

Yes, we removed ALL traces of the app. When I run Version 1.0.2 (23439), I have zero problems.

@Eligos + #Zadigre

Yeah, I second that. All traces removed, including the settings.dat. Basically, every trace of the program is gone and reinstalled. Problems remain.

Funny how this shit just randomly happens to users. Is it the hardware, or just other software installed that interferes somehow? Is it that maybe 10.6.7 screws something up for us, while the other people who has no problem are using older versions of 10.6? What does it? There has to be some explanation to it other than just pure voodoo.

@zadigre

Yes I even uninstalled the whole program using AppZapper' date=' redownloaded the 1.5.2, and installed it.

[b']#Eligos has the same problem it seems.

Yes, we removed ALL traces of the app. When I run Version 1.0.2 (23439), I have zero problems.

The .torrent files go in there by default but the actual download should default to your Download directory assuming it exists in ~/Downloads. If it's missing or not writable it's possible it would fall back to your application directory.

You can change where the .torrent files are stored in your directory preferences.

Have you tried running Disk Utility -> Repair Disk Permissions on your disk?

Let me report this :

I tried to DL a torrent partially and it seems 25258 doesn't handle this well : I find it impossible to complete it, the DL stops and I get the red exclamation mark. I click on it and restart the DL, the blue arrow appears and after a few seconds the red exclamation mark re-appears, grinding things to a halt.

So far I've restarted this torrent about 20 times and I'm stuck at 97%...

It seems that the problem occurs as the torrent comes near completion say beyond 90-92%. After that it's stop-and-start stop-and-start stop-and-start...

EDIT : there's definitely a problem with the way 25258 handles partial torrents. I just noticed that a completed partial torrent (which displayed a green arrow) suddenly became red. I clicked on the icon and it went back to green but that's annoying...

This should be fixed in the next beta release.

Hi, there are known bugs for me. :) Please, fix it in next beta. ;)

I have a problem in Feeds Menu.

1) When I start download from feeds - it's automatically starts download file without showing me a window with torrent details and menu with path to save it.

I mean this Menu:

oknor.png

2) First picture is good and at second - some problems:

rss1fp.png

So, it shows me that all files are dowloaded and headlights are missing:

rss2m.png

3) Upload and Dowload speed are missing too.

There is a bug where if you manually select an RSS feed item for download it doesn't show the torrent add dialog like the windows build does. This will not make it in to the next beta refresh but will be addressed before it goes stable.

I haven't been able to reproduce the missing feed names after adding the torrent for download but I'll keep an eye out for it. Do the names come back when you restart uTorrent? Check your system log and see if there is an array out of bounds error when this happens. If both of these are the case then the problem should be fixed in the next beta release.

@Theron

Regarding the Application Support folder and disk permissions.

I've tried fixing the permissions with Disk Utility, rebooted and still the same problem.

BUT, I've noticed something interesting!!

Whenever I download the .torrent file, and adds it manually, the download goes to my Downloads-folder.

If I use magnet-links, the download goes to Application Support folder instead!!

Could you maybe look into that, and see if there is a bug in how uTorrent handles magnet links? I'm using kickasstorrents' magnet links, but it shouldn't matter.

Dear Developers,

Could you make an option to disable system read/write caching? It seems that now µTorrent pushes out from system cache all programs etc. so after half an hour of working torrent everything on my mac is very slow. Or maybe Mac OS X supports I/O priorities for caching like in Windows 7 so that µTorrent used system cache but din't pushed out system libraries?

And it seems also that recheck always takes a lot of time even if there are no physical files on the disk to check.

@Theron

Regarding the Application Support folder and disk permissions.

I've tried fixing the permissions with Disk Utility, rebooted and still the same problem.

BUT, I've noticed something interesting!!

Whenever I download the .torrent file, and adds it manually, the download goes to my Downloads-folder.

If I use magnet-links, the download goes to Application Support folder instead!!

Could you maybe look into that, and see if there is a bug in how uTorrent handles magnet links? I'm using kickasstorrents' magnet links, but it shouldn't matter.

Just confirmed the bug. Thanks for the info. We'll look in to fixing this.

I haven't been able to reproduce the missing feed names after adding the torrent for download but I'll keep an eye out for it. Do the names come back when you restart uTorrent? Check your system log and see if there is an array out of bounds error when this happens. If both of these are the case then the problem should be fixed in the next beta release.

Restarting Utorrent did't not solve this problem.

Utorrent didn't remember columns. For example, I turned off 'DONE' column, but after restart it's appear again. I noticed this problem at RSS and pop-up menu, when add new torrent file.

64904369.jpg

With the release of Lion next month, will this delay the release of the next stable version of utorrent?

Also, I am assuming that a Lion compatible version will take some time?

Can the developers give us any indication that they are indeed working on Lion compatibility or will that work only start after Lion is officially released to the general public?

Utorrent compatibility with Lion is going to be of critical importance to me as to when I upgrade to Lion.

UTorrent STABLE Version of mac client is the only client that is universally white-listed in all major private trackers. I can't do without utorrent on mac!! :)

Edit : I hope to expedite matters, the developers consider releasing a minor update to the latest stable version without any new features that just makes it compatible with Lion so that Lion users can at least hope that it does not crash on Lion

With the release of Lion next month, will this delay the release of the next stable version of utorrent?

Can the developers give us any indication that they are indeed working on Lion compatibility or will that work only start after Lion is officially released to the general public?

Utorrent compatibility with Lion is going to be of critical importance to me as to when I upgrade to Lion.

UTorrent STABLE Version of mac client is the only client that is universally white-listed in all major private trackers. I can't do without utorrent on mac!! :)

Edit : I hope to expedite matters, the developers consider releasing a minor update to the latest stable version without any new features that just makes it compatible with Lion so that Lion users can at least hope that it does not crash on Lion

How do you know it doesn't already work?

New beta up! Please give it a shot guys. :)
I've been running 1.5.3 nonstop for the past 6 hours. So far it's been stable, but I did notice a small memory leak:

activitymonitor.jpg

Edit.

I did some experimenting, and the memory leak happens when I'm downloading multiple, large torrents (torrent sizes ranging from 400 MB - 2 GB). If I'm just seeding (currently seeding 26 torrents), µT's RAM usage is around 45 MB.

Well, first time around and i just lost an hour of my precious time writing a detailed feedback, just to lose it due to login session expiration :/

So, to go straight to the point:

- 1.5.2 didn't offered the update to 1.5.3; i was aware of it through the topic subscription (rss).

- cpu load is very irregular, constantly fluctuating between +- 10 & 30%, not to mention the times when it gets around 100% or more, as previously mentioned.

Thanks and keep it up...

Well, first time around and i just lost an hour of my precious time writing a detailed feedback, just to lose it due to login session expiration :/

So, to go straight to the point:

- 1.5.2 didn't offered the update to 1.5.3; i was aware of it through the topic subscription.

- cpu load is very irregular, constantly fluctuating between +- 10 & 30%, not to mention the times when it gets around 100% or more, as previously mentioned.

Thanks and keep it up...

Auto updates are currently turned off for this version because we wanted to see how stable it was for the few people that would download the latest version before we updated all of the beta users. The crash rate is somewhere around 14 crashes per thousand which is too high so we'll probably avoid turning on the autoupdate until we get a new beta build out with a few more bug fixes.

Hopefully we'll have that up later on this week.

With the release of Lion next month' date=' will this delay the release of the next stable version of utorrent?

Edit : I hope to expedite matters, the developers consider releasing a minor update to the latest stable version without any new features that just makes it compatible with Lion so that Lion users can at least hope that it does not crash on Lion[/quote']

How do you know it doesn't already work?

I'll be checking this out on Lion later on this week.

"Whenever I download the .torrent file, and adds it manually, the download goes to my Downloads-folder.

If I use magnet-links, the download goes to Application Support folder instead!!"

yep same here with 1.5.2. I don't know yet if the newest version suffers from the same problem.

I have tested the "partial torrent" option of 25394 :

- good point : now the torrent goes to completion without a problem. With 1.5.2 you had to restart the thing about 10 times.

- bad point : for the test I chose a Dylan torrent off Dimeadozen and I selected one song from each disc of a 2-cd show. But I only got the song from cd-2. Cd-1 remained out of reach as if 25934 didn't locate it.

- 1.5.2 didn't offered the update to 1.5.3; i was aware of it through the topic subscription.

Auto updates are currently turned off for this version because we wanted to see how stable it was for the few people that would download the latest version before we updated all of the beta users. The crash rate is somewhere around 14 crashes per thousand which is too high so we'll probably avoid turning on the autoupdate until we get a new beta build out with a few more bug fixes.

Hopefully we'll have that up later on this week.

Thanks for clearing it' date=' Theron. I was assuming some other problem :P

The crash rate is very low on my setup (a hackintosh);

can't remember a recent crash (or older, for that matter).

About the "irregular" cpu load; is there any usefull feed back i can give to you guys? I mean,

is sampling the process useful in this case?

Also a request/suggestion:

what do you guys think of adding a button (e.g. near the Seed Ratio one, on the statusbar)

to easily set the "Per torrent limit" of connections?

I would put it to good use :) i only raise that number, if a torrent with many seeders, doesn't

connect me with a good seeder/s (which often happens), else i usually keep it limited to 10 or less.

Sorry for the useless "login expiration" comment; i was grumpy due to exhaustion and

had just woke up after falling asleep in front of the machine :)

"Whenever I download the .torrent file, and adds it manually, the download goes to my Downloads-folder.

If I use magnet-links, the download goes to Application Support folder instead!!"

yep same here with 1.5.2. I don't know yet if the newest version suffers from the same problem.

Just tested it working properly here;

download was stored in the folder set on Preferences --> Directories.

Archived