torrents download fine, but won't upload/seed at all

abh468

Hi, I don't usually run into issues with uTorrent, but just recently I've been having this problem where the file downloads perfectly fine, but once it finishes, it won't upload/seed at all. The torrent(s) are typically healthy, usually from private trackers. My ports are open, when running tests on the setup guide my network is open and fine. I have windows firewall on, but there are exemptions there and it has never blocked uTorrent before. In fact, some of the torrents that I was seeding without issues a few days back (and are still healthy in terms of seeders:leechers) won't seed today for some reason. My bandwidth I think was around 4Mbit/s from a speed test, but I have my settings as follows:

Upload Limit = 350 kB/s

Connections (per-torrent) = 70

Max Active Torrents = 10

Upload Slots = 8

Connections (global) = 350

Max Active Downloads = 8

I'm not sure what else to do and would appreciate any help. Not sure why suddenly I can't upload anything. Let me know if you need other info.

Thanks,

abh468

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1214372541.png

I don't think it should be an overseeding issue in this case, although I do agree with you about that being an issue on private trackers. Though, one of the torrents I've tried seeding was showing about 400 seeders and 300 peers at the moment. A few days back when I was seeding fine, this same torrent had a similar ratio of seeders to peers. I have at least like 3-4 torrents with similar ratios that worked before, but do not any longer and also a couple new ones (from different trackers too). So I'm thinking it's more likely something on my end, rather than the torrents. Thanks for the quick response btw!

While you are right, it still seems strange that I have four torrents up at the moment with 700 peers (in swarm) between them and that I am constantly connecting to them and then they disconnect immediately, and I am not uploading at all (except an occasional 0.1kB/s or something). Last night I managed to connect to 1 peer and upload for like 5 minutes maybe, but then it stopped. A few days back, when I had like 4 to 5 torrents up with a larger number of peers and seeders (between 100-300 in swarm for peers & seeders), it would eventually find enough peers and upload near what I have my speed capped at. Also the number of peers I was connected to wasn't changing as fast as it is right now.

If my isp was interfering, what steps could I take to find out if that's the case or to get around it? Also, is it likely an isp issue if usually I don't have this problem?

Thanks again for the help

Edit:

I don't know if this helps, but in the log when I look for disconnects I mostly see these:

Disconnect: Not downloading

Disconnect: Is Seed

Disconnect: No such torrent: (Long Alphanumeric thing here, hash value i think)

Disconnect: Peer error: offline (timed out)

Disconnect: Connection closed

• 2 weeks later...

I am with Comcast and am experiencing the same problem...exactly the same. Torrents that I seed (I am the original seeder) usually work overnight but slow to a crawl during the day and refuse to connect to any additional incoming connections with the same errors showing up in the log. Once a peer disconnects thats it. Problem is that once they stop accepting connections it seems this remains even the next night. There are plenty of people leaching I just cant connect. Is there any kind of way around this???

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue but it is with one tracker in particular (kara@@@ga).

From months of poking around, I concluded (and they deny) that the tracker is sending bad/outdated information. The numbers vary the way you describe and when I start the torrent it may say 5 seed/195 leech and I can't U/L - the connection flickers on/off with an U/L rate of about .1k, - as if the connection were being dropped. If I refresh the stats they will drop to, say, 1seed/3 leech and the torrent will instantly make a strong upload speed that immediately starts decreasing until it hits zero a minute or so later. The entire time, the number of seed/leech will be flickering all over the place until a huge number is again displayed.

I hope someone can help; I have found it impossible to maintain a good ratio on the site becuase it is thinly traded and total downloads per torrent may only be 12 or so. Without fat pipes I may only be able to U/L 50k by the time I have finished a 4Gig file D/L. Again, this happens on one site only for me.

• 6 months later...

I've noticed to same issue with my connection. I have Cox in San Diego and have just noticed this happening in the last view months. I've also noticed that while I'm downloading, my upload is normal and it's not until the torrent goes into seed mode does it come to a halt. I have all ports properly open and proper setup of firewall / all tests conclude this is correct. I've found myself capping my download below my upload in order to ensure a decent ratio. I only use torrents provided by private communities that I have been using for years and constantly update trackers.

Speed Test:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1598416519.png

I suspect this is a relatively new technique deployed by our ISP's to prevent over usage of bandwidth. I'd also like to add I received an email from Cox shortly prior to my knowledge of this issue. The email was informing me I had excessive bandwidth usage and I was nearing my monthly bandwidth allowance. Since then I have upgraded my connection speed to directly increase how much data I am allotted to transfer.

I have this same issue in 3.0/26473 on Windows 7 x64. I am using public trackers and have 4 torrents up with low seeds and plenty of leechers but I can't get or maintain even one upload connection. My ISP is not interfering as far as I can tell. I can sustain 4-5 MB/s up and 8-9 MB/s down. (bytes, not bits) uT (or maybe Windows) simply refuses to accept connections from peers on torrents I try to seed. I see them flash across the peers list for a second or two and they disappear. The network OK green light keeps toggling between that and a warning that I have no incoming connections. The test says the port is open and the network is configured properly. I installed Vuze and configured it to use the same port as uT and on the very same torrents it seeds at very respectable speeds - after accepting over 100 incoming connections for the 4 torrents I am trying to seed. uT under the same conditions won't accept even one connection.

Is there some setting that could be causing this?

I'm having a problem that several others are having. Running uTorrent 3.0

In windows 7. I am downloading torrents from Dimeadozen. The downloads are fine then when it is upload/seeding it has been glacial to stalling out to around share 5 or 6. My uploading used to be stronger and almost continuous. Should I make any setting adjustments?

I ran a glasnost test and there is no evidence of throttling.

I have switched to 2.2.1. With slight improvement.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

(Possible solution)

Hi guys. I've had the exact same problems with extremely low upload speeds in uTorrent 3.x.x

I have a 100/10Mbit connection and never had so much ratio problems before.

I dug into things and noticed that even when I was the first leecher on a new torrent with only one seeder, I donwloaded it in a few minutes with anywhere from 5-12 MB/s and during that time I had a good seeding output of 200-800kB/s. Then when the torrent was finished upload speed suddenly went down to 0.1-25kB/s for hours even though leechers went up from 1->50, almost noone downloaded from me.

I experimented with different settings, especially connected peers per torrent, max upload ratio, seeding tasks have higher priority, disk flush and everything else I could find in different guides to no avail.

(I like to add that I usually set my upload speed to 400-800kB/s)

Then today I ran across this old forum post:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=47523

" A seeding torrent can only upload to so many peers before peers time out due to inactivity. Also, seeds have no need to connect to other seeds...reducing the number of connections a seed can get. A downloading torrent can sustain many more connections because only inactive seeds/peers that are not uploading or download get disconnected.

Beyond this max, peers go through a disconnect/reconnect cycle of repeated handshakes and increasing bandwidth used. Traffic shaping equipment monitoring traffic patterns is also more likely to interfere with these connections. EVERYONE LOSES!

While seeding, 1 upload slot uses optimistic unchoke -- which changes peers no quicker than once every 30 seconds unless peers disconnect. The other upload slots upload to the first peers that come along and change peers less often. peer.disconnect_inactive_interval = 300 seconds (5 minutes) by default. So any peers the seed has not uploaded to in 300 seconds gets automatically disconnected.

At 1 upload slot max and changing peers once every 30 seconds, this works out to be:

300 seconds / 30 seconds per peer * 1 upload slot = 10 max peers

This is the theoretical max usable peers for a seeding torrent limited to 1 upload slot, which is surprisingly low... "

Even if it was a bit technical for me, I started to understand some of the mechanics behind the problem and I found another post further down that shed some light on the issue:

" The addition of uTP and Teredo/IPv6 connections only makes matters worse for weak networking.

bt.connect_speed defaults to attempting 20 new outgoing connections PER SECOND.

And unlike regular TCP peer/seed connections, uTP and Teredo/IPv6 are both UDP streams which are not bound to the net.max_halfopen limit of 8 connection attempts at a time.

This is why I recommend lowering bt.connect_speed to only 1-4. net.max_halfopen will still be the limiting factor. "

So I set bt.connect_speed down to 3 from earlier 7

and I set net.max_halfopen limit to 20 from earlier 100

and of course set Number of upload slots per torrent to 10 and Maximum of connected peers per torrent to 20. (although you can set these last two lower/higher depending on you connection and tracker of choice)

And voilà... every torrent I have is uploading at awesome speeds now I'm easliy capping out my set upload rate of 800kB/s nomatter if I seed 1, 10 or 20 torrents.

I read in this thread:

https://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=115026

that having an upload rate limit of 0 [unlimited] also helps with seeding, but I prefer to leave some room for gaming, streaming, surfing so I want some upload to spare, but might be good to try.

Just thought I share my findings.... I hope it helps someone. :)

• 8 months later...

Archived