Error: Permission Denied

Once I start uploading a torrent with a good amount of seeds it will start gathering seeds and the Availability will steadily increase but the downloading stays at 0%. Then the downloading will stop, a red stop sign symbol with an explanation point in the center of it will appear to the left of the torrent and Availability will turn red and show 0%. In the status it says Error: Permission Denied. I've tried to upload several torrents and they've all done this process. Is there a setting that is wrong? I'm not sure why it started doing this.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I had a similar issue until a couple of minutes ago.

I read somewhere that there was something with the new uTorrent update that created a problem with where .torrent files are stored and the permissions on that new folder.

I just changed my preferences to save .torrent files to another folder I knew I definitely didn't have any permission issues with and everything has worked fine since.

uTorrent menu > Preferences > Directories tab > Check the box next to "Store .torrents in:" and choose a new location from the drop-down list.

Hope this works for you :)

having this exact same problem, newest update of utorrent, running on OS X Lion. I tried what you said Koala, problem is still occurring, any other suggestions?

i tried downgrading to an older version and i didn't get the error, but it was still "standing still". i then tried using a different program(Vuze) all together and the torrent downloads fine...try giving that a shot.

There is a known issue found in 1.5 - when you add magnet links, µT may try to add files to directories that are not permitted for changes. Please check manually that the directory that it suggests by default is Downloads (or choose any other that you have permissions to write to).

OR

Please use the following workaround until we address the issue

in Preferences-> Directories check the checkbox "Put new downloads in". You can leave there Downloads folder as default. This should fix the problem for now.

The issue will be fixed soon in the client.

I use uTorrent 1.5.11 (25801) on Leopard. Had the red exclamation mark too. My guess was it has indeed something to do with permissions (as uTorrent sees them). I normally download to an external USB HD. When I changed to the internal HD, forced a re-check and started the download again everything was running fine :).

Archived