Can I set a specific dl:seed ratio for specific trackers?

nzdreamer55

Hello everyone,

As I learn more about torrents I came across private trackers which seem to have some files that I want to get (tv shows like bethenny ever after) but a lot of them say that we need to keep a specific ratio. In utorrent there is a setting under seeding goal labeled minimum ratio (%). What number do I put here if I want to keep a ration of 0.8 (as per the private tracker's rules) Is it 80 or 0.8?

Will this keep me from abusing the private tracker? Is there something else that I should set? Can I set this per tracker such that one private tracker will have one ration and another one will have another. Some have rations of 1.2, 1, or 0.8 and it would nice if I could set them per tracker so when I use that tracker the ration is preserved and I don't have to figure out what the ratio should be.

There may be a better way to do this so if you can enlighten me that would be great.

Steve

Thanks for the reply. I'm still not sure what to put in utorrent to get the correct ratio. So one tracker says that I need to keep a ration of 0.8. For the individual torrent, do I put in 80 or 0.8. The % sign in utorrent makes me think that it wants the input as a percent not as a decimal.

Thanks

Steve

In utorrent there is a setting under seeding goal labeled minimum ratio (%). What number do I put here if I want to keep a ration of 0.8 (as per the private tracker's rules) Is it 80 or 0.8?

Minimum ratio (%) [ ]

for 0.8:1 ratio requirement by the control freak beancounters:

0.8 = 8/10 = 80%

Setting calls for percent, not the ratio factor so you must convert ratio to percent

therefore, Minimum ratio (%) [ 80 ]

.3:1 = 30% etc.

but.. there is no reason not to leave it at 100% or higher, although those who share more than 100% will prevent others from being able to reach 100% which I gather the control freaks who micro-manage sharing ratios do not understand.

Great. That makes sense. So if I were to find a site that said I needed a ratio of 1.2 then that would convert to a percentage of at least 120%. Now I understand. Thanks for the great info. I also realize the more you share the better, but wanted to understand the numbers behind ratios and utorrent.

I also realize the more you share the better, but wanted to understand the numbers behind ratios and utorrent.

Communally, you are very correct in saying the more you share the better.

Before contamination, before Columbus, the 'Indians' of the Americas lived that way. Columbus stated in his log and report of the Arawak:

[The Indians] "are ... so free with their possessions that no one who has not witnessed them would believe it. When you ask for something they have, they never say no. To the contrary, they offer to share with anyone...."

The rigid control of access by the self-declared gatekeepers [tracker admins] who religiously apply ratios is detrimental not only to the concept of open sharing at will but is technically flawed. Under their system, assuming they insist on a minimum 1:1 share ratio, it is detrimental to share more than that. Why? Because if you share more than 1:1, then you are preventing others from reaching that magic 1:1 even if they wanted to do so. Therefore the generosity of some excludes others from access. Fortunately, most of the content these tracker tyrants are controlling, limiting are distractions and diversions from more significant informations. Sadly, most of the general population is seeking escapism through vicarious spectacles and 'reality' role playing rather than taking responsibility for making changes to this system for the benefit of the faceless, those yet to be born.

"A life lived free of toil and tyranny, free of masters, free of greed and the struggle for gain, became so much the key picture presented by the first historian of the New World, Peter Martyr of Anghiera, that his English translator summed it up in the repeated word 'liberty'. ...Among the people there, he wrote, "Myne and Thyne (the seedes of all myscheefe) have no place . . ."

excerpts are from:

New Worlds for Old - Reports from the New World and Their Effect on the Development of Social Thought in Europe, 1500-1800 by William Brandon [1986] Ohio University Press

Archived