µTorrent 3.0 (32-bit) Stable Release

Firon

Alrighty, so after trying out 3.0 for the first time today I'm a little distraught..

A few items:

1. First and foremost: I dug through all the advanced options and could not find a way to get rid of the enormous green down arrow when Category List is closed. PLEASE allow users to remove this as it takes up valuable screen real estate for those of us who don't want to use any of the flashy new features.

2. Columns got messed up, again? Come on guys... there simply MUST be a way to make columns backwards compatible in the settings file... I'm very tired of redoing my columns back to the way I like them every 6 months or so (for the last 6 years).

3. Back on the topic of screen real estate, Added On/Completed in Info tab should be beside one another, much like Peices is in a separate column, to use the space much more efficiently. I also noticed Completed On shows 12/31/1969 9:00:00 PM until a torrent actually finishes? "N/A" would probably suffice :P

4. If ratings/comments are disabled, the dialog when removing a torrent shouldn't show up full of ratings/comments related stuff. I don't want to hide the dialog completely because I like having the failsafe of it asking me if I'm sure, but it shouldn't be asking me to rate something after I spent the time to go through all the options to disable them.

5. Since you reordered all the tabs, would it not also be fair to give us a way to reorder them ourselves? I preferred them the way they were.

6. I notice the skins app is missing, hopefully this is due to it being updated for 3.0? Will we be getting an updated 2.0.4 skin again this time around? I, for one, and I'm sure many others would appreciate it greatly.

7. Could gui.color_progress_bars please apply to the Info tab and maybe Pieces as well? It doesn't make sense to revert to the basic blue/etc. in one area but not these others.

8. The search engine toolbar icon area still shows when the search engine list is empty (this is a reversion from old behavior), and, as schnurlos mentioned, tooltips for them are missing as well.

9. Sort by IP in Peers by default doesn't make much sense. I'd like to suggest it should be sorted by Downloaded and then secondary sorted by Uploaded so that all the most active peers remain at the top of the list.

10. Lastly, and this is a biggy, I'm seeing CPU usage at around 50-70% on my old box here. It's slow to scroll in the torrent list even. This was never the case with 2.x and hopefully can be resolved..

Anyway, if the CPU thing and the screen real estate issues (big down arrow) aren't to be fixed, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about µTorrent.. I've been a user since discovering it in 2005. Rufus had proven a bit more CPU/Memory intensive (Python! :P) than I liked and µTorrent was the perfect solution: similarly visually designed but with that crazy small footprint from all Ludde's hard work.. I really hope you guys can wrangle this release into shape in keeping with Ludde's vision of small footprint/ultimate customizability for the advanced user, while continuing your own advancements to make BitTorrent more accessible to the masses.

1. We have decided to implement this, due to popular demand.

2. I'm waiting. http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=586586#p586586

3. Done.

4. This feature (disabling comments) was implemented because a handful of people (one person?) requested it. Unfortunately, we don't have time right before a stable release to polish a feature that 0.0000001% of the user base are going to use.

5. We are definitely going to do something about the tabs. Expect it. Don't expect it in 3.0

6. http://apps.bittorrent.com/skins/skins.btapp

7. That makes sense. I will run this by the non-programmers.

8. I'll see if we can improve this behaviour before stable. Tooltips are fixed.

9. Agreed. We'll default to sort by downloaded by default.

10. Now this is a serious one. We'd like help tracking that down.

There are definitely things we need to slim down, but I think we're doing okay on binary size for the functionality.

Yes, we are always going to keep advanced users in mind. We are advanced users ourselves, and utorrent will always be by and for advanced users.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Forum behaviour

I have been seeing some unacceptable behaviour on the forums lately.

Here are some examples of behaviour that is counterproductive for you, and may result in a permanent ban:

• Whining
  • Threats
  • Foul language
  • Insults
  • Breaking other forum rules

These forums are for all users. Use your head.

MINOR GUI BUG IN RESOURCE OF DIALOG 21

Please correct the line

CONTROL "", 1037, BUTTON, ... , 152, 48, 107, 10 

this way

CONTROL "", 1037, BUTTON, ... , 152, 47, 126, 8 

Good catch. I changed it to:

CONTROL "", 1037, BUTTON, ... , 152, 47, 107, 8 

Please be so kind and use a width of field = 126. Wider fields (of course if possible) are more better for us translators. Thanks.

MINOR GUI BUG IN RESOURCE OF DIALOG 21

Please correct the line

CONTROL "", 1037, BUTTON, ... , 152, 48, 107, 10 

this way

CONTROL "", 1037, BUTTON, ... , 152, 47, 126, 8 

Good catch. I changed it to:

CONTROL "", 1037, BUTTON, ... , 152, 47, 107, 8 

Please be so kind and use a width of field = 126. Wider fields (of course if possible) are more better for us translators. Thanks.

OK - we've maximized text width for all text on that dialog.

Thanks.

2. Are you experiencing problems [with column reset] when upgrading, or downgrading? Also, from/to which versions?

4. This feature (disabling comments) was implemented because a handful of people (one person?) requested it. Unfortunately, we don't have time right before a stable release to polish a feature that 0.0000001% of the user base are going to use.

6. http://apps.bittorrent.com/skins/skins.btapp

9. Agreed. We'll default [Peers] to sort by downloaded by default.

10. Now this is a serious one. We'd like help tracking that down.

There are definitely things we need to slim down, but I think we're doing okay on binary size for the functionality.

Yes, we are always going to keep advanced users in mind. We are advanced users ourselves, and utorrent will always be by and for advanced users.

2. It has been the case of column resets on upgrade to every version that involves a column change (added/removed/reordered columns, etc.), so roughly every major version; I have never downgraded. As far as I know this has been the case since I started using µTorrent and I've seen it reported by more than a few people over the years. Usually it only affects the areas where the columns were altered. This time (2.2.1 -> 3.0 RC) it reset all of my columns in every tab/pane.

4. I get the verification aspect of the rating/comments, it makes it universal and not just limited to specific torrent sites. Maybe with time I'll come to use it but for now, I just want to slim my copy of µTorrent down to what I know and like. I understand time constraints for releases, naturally, so thank you for considering work on this in a future update.

6. Ah great, they all seem to be 2.x skins though, so they mess up the down arrow to hide the tab area (among other things), which is why I was wondering if it was being updated for 3.x. Will we be getting an updated 2.0.4 skin?

9. Secondary sort by Uploaded keeps things looking neat on Seeding torrents as well. :)

10. Anything I can do to help track it down, let me know. I notice that net.low_cpu still works despite the high CPU problems so it keeps things usable for the present (though I never had to use low_cpu previously and scrolling the torrents list is still slow).

Thanks so much AdamK for taking the time to respond to my lengthy post, and I appreciate your reassurances. I continue to look forward to new releases from you and the team in the future. :D

Utorrent do not remember size of "Add new torrent" window. It's size always default.

Please tell the steps.

The add torrent dialog is resizable, but it won't remember the size. It only remembers expanded/unexpanded state

10. Lastly, and this is a biggy, I'm seeing CPU usage at around 50-70% on my old box here. It's slow to scroll in the torrent list even. This was never the case with 2.x and hopefully can be resolved..

We've been working on CPU usage issues for quite some time now, so we definitely aren't ignoring the problem. Just compare today's build with a 3.0 build from a few months ago. :)

Can you let uT run for about 10 minutes, then create a dump of it? You can do so by selecting "Create Dump File" in task manager on utorrent.exe.

Utorrent do not remember size of "Add new torrent" window. It's size always default.

Please tell the steps.

The add torrent dialog is resizable' date=' but it won't remember the size. It only remembers expanded/unexpanded state[/quote']

Yes, I mean it. Version 2.2.1 remembers the size, version 3 - do not.

Not sure if this is something that has been addressed, or if it's just me. But recently (see: since the last few upgrades), torrents from certain sites won't download, they don't connect or ever start. eztv, pirate bay, and some others work fine but what.cd and passthepopcorn both don't agree with my client anymore

ou known what really gets problems fixed quickly? Red. You, sir are a genius.

Bahahaha.. Getting sick of it hey?

I have been seeing some unacceptable behaviour on the forums lately.

Here are some examples of behaviour that is counterproductive for you, and may result in a permanent ban:

Whining

Threats

Foul language

Insults

Breaking other forum rules

These forums are for all users. Use your head.

Although I in NO WAY endorse or agree with the behaviour of the users taking a swipe at you and your development team; they are reacting to the software you have delivered.

They are bitching and moaning (again, I don't agree with it) and being met with very little in response (to their unreasonable approach). Add to this that uTorrent has progressed to RC3 with a collection of bugs still present and various issues unanswered that even die hard fans are starting to question the wisdom of their loyalty.

I've been on these forums for a long time. I do lots of reading and (until recently) not much writing.

Although I know this isn't the case; it appears as though you do not care about users points of view. You are (justifiably) ignoring the ignoramuses, answering a percentage of the decent questions. The issue is that it APPEARS you are ignoring issues, even if you are not.

Appearance is more important then fact, especially in these kind of matters.

The great irony of all this is that the douche bags on your forums represent perhaps 50% of your forum population, and less than 0.01% of your total user base.

</condescending sophomoric rant>

P.P.S. I really hope I don't have to repeat myself on any of these problems!

You known what really gets problems fixed quickly? Red. You' date=' sir are a genius.[/quote']

Well it seems to have gotten your attention :P

Alrighty' date=' so after trying out 3.0 for the first time today I'm a little distraught..

A few items:

1. First and foremost: I dug through all the advanced options and could not find a way to get rid of the enormous green down arrow when Category List is closed. PLEASE allow users to remove this as it takes up valuable screen real estate for those of us who don't want to use any of the flashy new features.[/quote']

1. We have decided to implement this, due to popular demand.

Do you mean implement the arrow, or the removal of it. I really hope it's the latter but I still see it in the latest build...hopefully you get around to it in the next one.

3. Back on the topic of screen real estate' date=' Added On/Completed in Info tab should be beside one another, much like Peices is in a separate column, to use the space much more efficiently. I also noticed Completed On shows 12/31/1969 9:00:00 PM until a torrent actually finishes? "N/A" would probably suffice :P[/quote']

3. Done.

Thanks, but I don't know why you decided to separate "Created On" and "Created By". I think that was fine as one line and saved just that little bit more space. Also, "Comment" should really be the last line there because some torrents have really long comments so it just works better that way. See my original suggestion: http://i56.tinypic.com/2zg6phs.png . If you do want to keep "Created On" and "Created By" separated, just move "Created By" underneath or above "Created On".

4. If ratings/comments are disabled' date=' the dialog when removing a torrent shouldn't show up full of ratings/comments related stuff. I don't want to hide the dialog completely because I like having the failsafe of it asking me if I'm sure, but it shouldn't be asking me to rate something after I spent the time to go through all the options to disable them.[/quote']

To be fair, I think it was more than one person. This is not a huge deal (at least to me), so I can understand that it's not a priority right now. One thing that should also be looked at concerning ratings is that some torrents get rated automatically when I know I didn't rate them myself. This has been reported before.

5. Since you reordered all the tabs' date=' would it not also be fair to give us a way to reorder them ourselves? I preferred them the way they were.[/quote']

5. We are definitely going to do something about the tabs. Expect it. Don't expect it in 3.0

That's fine, but what I can't understand is why you can't put them back in the original order that we got used to for so many years now (while you work on the reordering feature). I've seen many people complain about the new tab order but I haven't seen a single person saying anything positive about it. So, I suggest you simply put them back how they were and that way everybody's happy

9. Sort by IP in Peers by default doesn't make much sense. I'd like to suggest it should be sorted by Downloaded and then secondary sorted by Uploaded so that all the most active peers remain at the top of the list.

9. Agreed. We'll default to sort by downloaded by default.

I think it would be MUCH better to sort by Relevance first and % second! That way the most relevant peers (the ones that actually have the data you want) stay near the top of the list.

P.S. Thank you for listening and fixing some of the things I wrote about...but don't forget about the rest of my post.

max download speed achieved is to slow when set global download speed limit. For example: with out limitation global download speed (=0) speed 100Mbsp reached through 40 sec after start download, but if global download speed = 9999 KB/s (or other limit) top speed reached through 5-6 minutes. Need to fix that!

eztv, pirate bay, and some others work fine but what.cd and passthepopcorn both don't agree with my client anymore

Private trackers may ban clients in alpha/beta versions, ask their support team, it's not an issue with µT.

I have a small sugestion:

I wanted to delete some torrents from the torrent list. I have selected them (about 200 torrents), then when I wanted to press DEL button on my keyboard i've made a mistake and pressed ENTER.

Now that was something cool: 200+ Windows Explorer opening! :/

Please make a confirmation dialog from when someone wants to open Download forlder for more than 1 torrent.

Version using : 3.0 RC3

while updating to the latest version, after the program closed in order to open the new version it popped up the message that utorrent process is still running so I closed the process manually. now when I opened the program again it shows that the torrent I was downloading (~50GB) is being checked but stays at "Checked 0.0%" not progressing at all. When I stop the torrent and then start it again or force recheck it crashes.

Any ideas?

Still when deleting torrents it permantly deletes and does not go to recycle bin no matter what the setting for gui.delete_to_trash.

Still getting "Error: The Data is Invalid" message on skipped file torrents. As I have reported over and over in this thread and in the 2.2.1 release.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=587276#p587276

Data is Invalid: This has been reported before. Thanks.

I know that it has been reported before because I reported it back in 2.2.1 and I have not had a reply to this until your post. And still occurs in the just released 3.0 RC3.

-- 2011-05-23: Version 3.0 RC3 (build 25327)

- Change: health bar is green now

- Fix: crashes

- Fix: µTorrent can hang if checking thousands of torrents

After updating to this version my bars are still yellow colored. Is there a setting now or am I missing something?

1) Can the tray icon behavior change? I have asked for this in one of my previous posts but the developers missed it.

It would make sense to put μTorrent in the tray if one single clicks on it and it's already restored. Maybe make it happen only if the "Single click on tray icon to open" option is enabled. But, please, implement this as it's very handy. Most of the programs do this.

2) Now, I also agree with osmosis regarding most of the things he suggested. The most important is the columns being messed up each and every time a new μTorrent major build is out. It's inconvenient and it simply makes me not want to try the new builds cause I don't have the time to reorganize my columns.

3) Another thing I noticed with v3.0 is that the gui seems to be a little bit unresponsive compared to all v2.X builds. I don't have so many torrents loaded (aprox. 30) but when selecting a torrent it's like it takes a few ms to just to the selected row. The thing is that this is completely noticeable even if it's only a few milliseconds. The UI isn't as responsive as it was. My system is Windows 7 32bit.

4) Please disable the "Create Quick Launch icon" installer option on Windows 7. I don't need to go through all the details, but quick launch toolbar isn't officially available on Windows 7. If a user knows how to enable it then they should know how to add μTorrent there. So, that option should be hidden if the OS=Windows 7.

5) Please update the help file. There have been so many changes especially in the advanced options. Right now the help file doesn't even get downloaded (Tested with 25327)

6) I had v2.2.1 installed. Then I installed 25327. Everything went fine. But when I try to launch µTorrent from the desktop shortcut or the start menu shortcut I get the µTorrent setup dialog! The same happens if I try to launch uTorrent.exe from the installation folder. But let's say I'm feeling lucky :P So I follow the setup dialog and try to reinstall it. When I hit install nothing happens except from utorrent.exe running for a few seconds and then terminates.

I hate to complain, but come on guys, v3.0 shouldn't even be considered a beta. It's an alpha and you shouldn't release it anytime soon unless you are ready for more complaining.

eztv' date=' pirate bay, and some others work fine but what.cd and passthepopcorn both don't agree with my client anymore[/quote']

Private trackers may ban clients in alpha/beta versions, ask their support team, it's not an issue with µT.

oooh, i didn't even think of that!

Archived