µtorrent causes audio to skip?!?

enigma9o7

I've been banging my head at this computer for the last few days, uninstalling things, playing with settings, and finally finally solved my problem. But it doesn't make sense.

Basically, one day for no appearant reason, audio started skipping and playing slowly... from pandora or from playing mp3s (any player software). It's kinda behaving like if my CPU was maxed out, but it's not...

I finally figured out if I close µtorrent problem goes away. I have since determined that pausing transfers also solves it. It also seems to happen less frequently if I only have one torrent going, but two or more it happens constantly.

This makes no sense cuz I've had utorrent loading with windows startup for years and years and often had lots of torrents running and never had this problem before. Any ideas?

I'm using utorrent 2.21 under win xp home.

I've tried searching and still haven't found the solution. I haven't changed hardware that I can think of recently and been using the same sound drivers since 2006 and there's nothing newer. While searching I found things like people who have been running utorrent a couple hours start to have problems... but in my case it's instant, I can reboot and it's happening right away, and just have to pause transfers to fix my sound. I also found someone who suggested a failing hard drive so I checked and defragged mine, no problems or change.

Archived