Explain download icon, please?

Indeed, without being connected to the tracker you wont get connected to any new peers (until DHT is implemented) but it won't disconnect you from the peers you're already connected to.

Just looked at them again, seems they've reconnected to the peers.

When I'm diconnected, does this also mean other peers can't see me? If so, is there some way I can force the torrents to stay connected to the trackers so I'm still sharing the load? Shouldn't slow me down any, since I have a pretty fast connection.

Would the DHT you mentioned have something to do with this? Not sure what that is...

Thanks for the help, Raan! :)

I thought the bittorrent client only connected to the tracker to get the new list of peers every X minutes, meaning you aren't always connected? So perhaps the icon means that the last attempt to connect to the tracker failed.

You can force an update to the tracker by clicking "Update Tracker" on the right click menus of torrents.

Right you are, segosa. I say "disconnected" because, well, it can't connect when it wants to. Anyway, failed connection attempts to the tracker doesn't slow down your downloads or anything, it just prevents you from getting an updated peer list, and about all you can do about that is what segosa says, press "Update Tracker" to force another attempt.

DHT is a protocol that allows you to recieve an updated peer list from other peers without being connected to the tracker, that way the torrent can be kept alive even if the tracker becomes unavailable for some people or goes down entirely. There are currently two versions of the protocol, as far as I know, the one used by the official BitTorrent client and BitComet, and the one used by Azureus. µTorrent will use the former, I think. ( http://www.bittorrent.com/trackerless.html )

Archived