ubuntu 11.04 utorrent

Uboring

I'm using ubuntu 11.04

I searched every where how to run this dam8 utorrent server .and I saw so many complex coding configuring taring unziping confusing and that give me a such headache and waste of time . in every step I see terminal I fail running it .

and after 2 weeks of wasting my time I figure out , it's just a program and it will run when you make it executable .

for all beginners like my self follow these steps :

after you download the last utorrent server in downloads dir

1- extract the utorrent file ( open and extract it in same directory,just simple at it is )

2- open the directory that you extracted before .

3- search for utserver and make it executable by following this step .. right click on utserver > properties > permissions >> add tick on Allow executing file as program>> close it

4-run the utserver by clicking it <double click> .

5- I know you will be shock and you will say ohh nothing happen . but actually it's just server like windows srv .and you already run it on your system

6- open your browser like firefox , chrome , opera ... etc

7-type in URL : http://localhost:6881/gui/ and open it ((notice 6881 may be different but mine are 6881 others says 8080 so try both and refresh it ))

8- the username :admin

no password

so it's better to stick it some where . maybe noobs like me find it easy .

where is "the documentation in the download"

Did you mean the 11 files inside the docs folder that comes with the zipped files ?

I need 2 hours just to read all of them .

It seems that without reading the documentation are done faster, only for two weeks! :lol:

you mean it's there and I didn't see it . actually I read some of them like the server.pdf file and I didn't understand it .my mistake I'm a Ex windows user or maybe I just need decade to understand it . anyway If you have that luck with the docs files you will install it in 3 hours .

and if only if someone like me <noobs one > lucky finds this topic . it will cost him 0 hours to install it .

Anyway thanks for the help > and

would someone that understand the docs tell me how can I create a shortcut of the utorrent URL .

thanks

7-type in URL : http://localhost:6881/gui/ and open it ((notice 6880 may be different but mine are 6881 ))

My view is that this is a bug. You should only be able to access the web UI via the web UI port (8080 by default), not the peer/tracker connection port (6881 by default - the associated setting is named bind_port).

Forum members, let me know if I'm missing some information that would change my mind about this. Otherwise, at some point in the future I or somebody else here will remove that ability to use anything other than the web UI port to access the web UI and submit the same HTTP commands as does the web UI.

maybe this is the bug you talking about :

I always do this step > run utserver [double click] check it from system monitor > open the firefox browser . at URL I choose :http://localhost:6881/gui/

it's say invalid something > refresh > username & password appears> username : admin no password > ok > again refresh .

but in my opinion if 6881 a bug , it will be a good bug for me .

http://img41.imageshack.us/i/screenshotanz.png/

Sure, its a bug. You should be able to configure it to accept webui API on 6881, but not to just let it sneak in through a pot opened for a different reason. I'm sure there's a good security reason for this, but can't think of one off the top of my head.

I struggle to find what is hard about "dump the contents of a tarball in a directory and run the program". There are several detailed walkthoughs in this forum for people that like to be able to copy every command, some intended for setting uTorrent as a daemon, some for building deb files, but also a number of simple "it's just a program" threads. Maybe the whole no visible front end thing is confusing, and it is certainly a bit scary if the webui doesn't connect first time. Or maybe Ubuntu has just gone too far and Natty users simply don't know how to open a terminal any more?

You should only be able to access the web UI via the web UI port (8080 by default)

Agreed.

not the peer/tracker connection port (6881 by default - the associated setting is named bind_port).

Depends. If "Alternative listening port" is disabled, the former and the latter ports would coincide, and I would then disagree.

But yes, the gist of it is that WebUI should only be accessible on the designated WebUI listening port. If webui.enable_listen is 0, then bind_port becomes the designated listening port, and in that case, it should be allowed.

Archived