All my torrents have disappeared. The list is empty

ASIIFB

One day I open utorrent 2.2.1 (build 25110) and vuala! All my torrents have disappeared.

The only info I have is under the logger tab which I have pasted at the bottom of this post.

This is the second time this has happened to me actually. Well, I haven't lost my torrent files or the downloaded data from their source folders, but I will have to reopen them all (which is alot) and the stats reset when I do this too which is annoying because I lose track of which torrents I need to keep uploading and such.

Has someone had this problem before or knows what I can do to keep it from happening in the future?

Here's what it said under the logger tab when I had opened utorrent and all the torrents were gone. I found the relating files "settings.dat.new" and such, but I've no idea what they mean.

Please help me! Thank you

Logger:

[2011-05-27 23:26:59] File not found during integrity check: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\uTorrent\settings.dat.new

[2011-05-27 23:26:59] The file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\uTorrent\settings.dat' was damaged/missing. It has been recovered.

[2011-05-27 23:26:59] File not found during integrity check: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\uTorrent\settings.dat.new

[2011-05-27 23:26:59] File not found during integrity check: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\uTorrent\dht.dat.new

[2011-05-27 23:26:59] File not found during integrity check: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\uTorrent\rss.dat.new

[2011-05-27 23:26:59] The file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\uTorrent\rss.dat' was damaged/missing. It has been recovered.

[2011-05-27 23:27:00] File not found during integrity check: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\uTorrent\resume.dat.new

Torrent history and settings are stored in the folder %appdata%\utorrent (especially files resume.dat & settings.dat).

If you delete this folder or it becomes corrupt, µT is not able to load your torrent list (and settings etc...) at the next start. So be sure this folder stays untouched (no deletion, no bad sectors on the HDD).

In addition follow the migration guide to restore your torrent jobs: http://user.utorrent.com/help/guides/migrate

And make regular back-ups of %appdata%\utorrent if your computer has an issue.

Ah yeah, good idea to just make a backup. Thanks!

So, I will reload all my torrents again, then copy that folder "Application Data\uTorrent" onto another drive so i can replace it when it happens again.

Thanks for the quick reply too!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I am running uTorrent 2.0.4 Build 22150 and my download list disappeared again for the third time.

I did a manual ADD TORRENT and each one is queued for checking and it took me several hours, I would like to have a proper backup if/when this happens in the future.

Can someone confirm which file I need to backup? I backed up appdata\roaming\uTorrent?

• 1 month later...

I'm running uTorrrent 3.2.1 beta in Windows XP. All my torrents are disappearing from uTorrent. It's happened 5 or 6 times. In addition, my preference settings are reset to the default settings when this happens. It's as if it's just been reinstalled, seemingly at random. I do run Superantispyware and FixCleaner but haven't been able to correspond their use to the problem occurring.

I've read in the forum about the need for a %appdata%\utorrent folder. When I click on my hard drive and look at the uTorrent program, all I see is the logo--no files. Perhaps they're hidden or I'm looking in the wrong place?

I'm running the beta version because I first used the standard version and had this problem, so I replaced it with the beta in hopes that the problem would go away. It hasn't. Thanks to anyone who can help me resolve this.

I've made a copy of the %appdata%\utorrent folder and when the folder disappears, I replace it. That seems to work okay as a work-around, sort of. Was hoping to keep it from happening, but If there's no further advice on how to prevent %appdata%\utorrent from disappearing every time the computer reboots, I'll figure something out.

Archived