Superslow estimated time. 2 weeks and 3 days Please help?

JohnnyBoy

Im am new to uttorent, but when i try to download files that are around 2Gbs in size; the est time to complete the download is 2weeks. I spend a whole day of downoading this one 2Gbs file and by the end of the day it says i only completed 2.6% of the totall download. Tell me if i am wrong, but should it really take that long to complete a large download. Please help.

I have a linksys router, BEFSR v.2

and a Win. XP

Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

Hmmm what's the average speed of your download for large torrent files and what's the average speed for small torrent files, if they are any different?

For me it's roughly 20-30kb/s for large and small. I can't estimate accurately as to how long it's taken me to download a 2Gb file though as I've been testing different settings on and off.

Note: If you are directed to this post, respond from wherever you were directed from.

Common Checklist™ 2 (for troubleshooting slow speeds):

- READ THE SETUP GUIDE ALREADY

- Looked around in Speed problems subforum

- Read the entire FAQ

- Using latest version of µTorrent (latest beta if beta is being tested)

- Green circle in status bar

- Ran the Speed Guide (Ctrl+G) in its entirety -- make sure you select the right upload speed

- Tried testing a torrent from OpenOffice.org or Ubuntu Linux

- ISP not listed here

- Provide modem/router information (especially if you are using a SurfBoard modem)

- Tried enabling Protocol Encryption

- Tried enabling peer.lazy_bitfield (if unable to seed properly)

- Tried disabling DHT

- Tried lowering max global connections

- Tried patching TCPIP.SYS (if using Windows XP w/ SP2)

- Provide operating system information

- Provide information about security software installed (firewall, antivirus, etc)

More information needed.
Common Checklist™:

1) latest beta

2) speed guide (Ctrl G) used to choose upload speed

3) Network OK in status bar

4) Verified router/modem is not on this list http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Modems_routers_that_are_known_to_have_problems_with_P2P

5) read the stickies in the Speed Problems subforum

• 3 months later...

I have adjusted my connection and speed settings according to your guides but when I try to download a torrent, it always receives an Inactive status and cannot be downloaded.

I use proxy server-

Can you please help me? Thank you.

P.S. The text above didn`t help...

What µTorrent has in its Preferences neither dictates nor reflects whether or not trackers choose to alllow/disallow (they can sometimes detect proxies, thus, are able to block if they wish). At any rate, is your port forwarded properly?

Using a proxy will slow your connection, it's an extra hop. Is the some random proxy you found off of a proxy list or a proxy server you own/paid for? Why are you using a proxy in the first place? Try using uTorrent without a proxy and see if you still have a problem.

• 2 months later...

no matter what i do i always have lame speed of 2kb/s and i'm also trying to download a 2gb file, usually a 2gb file doesn't take much more than a few hours to download cuz the usual download speed off a decent site is 300-500kb/s at its worse ir can be 120kb-200kb/s so why does utorrent run so damned slow? it says my download speed is 1800kb/s which should be giving me 300kb/s dl speeds

Christ people, download speed doesn't just depend on your own connection for god's sake. Where do you think the information is coming from? It has to come from somewhere right? And between your location and that somewhere don't you think that the data packets could get bogged down due to slow connections between the two? Sheesh.

Your download speed is only a window. It means if someone can upload at your max download speed, you'll get that speed, provided that the servers between you and the uploaders have high bandwidth. If not, tough luck.

the-rabid-monkey, you're confusing bandwidth kilobits/sec with file download speeds in KILOBYTES/sec...or at least not clear which you mean.

Also, how fast are you uploading in return? If you're never uploading over 5 KB/sec despite setting upload speed limit in µTorrent higher than that, then there may be a bigger problem.

What sort of software firewall and antivirus software are you running?

...and do you have something like netnanny on your computer?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived