Not connecting to multiple peers available to upload to.

winstonchurch

I have several torrents I'd like to be uploading to help out my share ratio. I never really understood the Peers number ie. 0(12), which after I looked it up would mean there are 12 people downloading that file, but zero are connected to my computer. If the network is ok and the ports are forwarded correctly, what is keeping my computer from connecting to these 12 people? I always see this and for years I was wondering if there was settings within utorrent or Azureus or Bitcomet that would make the opportunity to connect to these people instead of seeing a big zero.

EDIT: within the time it took to type this, now I am seeing Peers: 0(17) which sucks as that is 17 people I'd like to be able to be uploading to. An observation I have made is it seems the best success I have in uploading is when the torrent is new and I am one of the first to jump on it. Sometimes I will get a .5 share ratio if I am lucky by the time I finish downloading the file along with the other peers. Then as it is seeding sometimes it will continue for a little while. But then as time goes on I will still see several peers within the parenthesis but none are connected to me. What can I do to make them available to connect to?

What do you mean by overseeded torrents? The example I have given shows 0(14) now for peers and for seeds it shows 0(43). Are you saying that the (14) shown are 14 phantom peers that don't actually exist? I doubt that is the case as I have maybe 30-40 torrents being seeded and 99% of them have some number within the parenthesis but no connected peers. I doubt all these numbers would be phantom peers. I do have one peer connected to out of all of that but I would suspect they should all be connected to. I did read someone in a post several years ago was having a similar problem and changed the setting of a setting and then all of these peers that showed as 0(xx number) were all connected to and he was uploading to them. I think they were using either an older version of uTorrent or Bitcomet. Is there any setting within uTorrent that would be able to be adjusted to accomplish this?

Are you saying that the (14) shown are 14 phantom peers that don't actually exist?

Given the number of seeds on the torrent, that is very likely. When uTorrent gets a peerlist from a tracker, it assumes that all the addresses on the list are peers until it connects to them and negotiates the initial handshake. Until then, seeds don't reveal themselves. Likely what is happening is that those 14 are seeds that are firewalled.

So in this pic you can see, most of the torrents aren't over seeded but still most of the peers aren't connected to me. Even the ones I am connected to, one isn't actually uploading anything to, and the other is single digit KB/sec when I max out at 45-50KB/sec upload.

4g57pf.jpg

Archived