uTorrent Broadcasting IP/Port with no Torrents?

nailsone

I recently tried to lock down my home network in attempt to resolve noticeably sluggish internet. I observed my router accepting a ton of connections on the port I had uTorrent configured for. This was happening despite not hosting any .torrent files in the past week.

I shut that port down and reconfigured uTorrent to use a different port (still not hosting any .torrent files). Two days later, I see connections coming in on the new port, so I took the same action... shut down the new port, and reconfigured uTorrent to use a 'newer' port.

I restarted uTorrent once or twice and within a few minutes, all kinds of IP addresses are now trying to connect to this new port. What's the reason for this? It would make sense if I was hosting .torrent files, and uTorrent was broadcasting the 'newer' port to any trackers I was connected to, but that's not the case here.

TIA

So you're not a huge fan of being able to connect to peers when the trackers are down and also not a huge fan of being able to help others in the same situation?

Some sites REQUIRE that DHT not be enabled because they are private sites. If he doesn't have any torrents that are being hosted, what's the point in the DHT being enabled and slowing his connection down? He can always enable it when he has torrents hosted that need DHT enabled. Don't be such a sourpuss.

Archived