Downloaded file won't open as .mp3/.avi

Cachorrita

I've been using uTorrent for a couple of years now, and when I download something on my computer it opens as a .avi/.mp3 etc and I can open it directly from the folder it downloaded into and it will play in WMP. However I've installed uTorrent on Vista for a couple of people, and for some reason the downloaded files are still torrents, even though the extensions are .mp3/.avi. I'm sure this is a very noob thing, I've tried to find an answer on google and just haven't been able to! What am I doing wrong? Someone please help as this is driving me insane.

I should also reiterate that it downloads just fine, it seeds just fine, but when I open it in explore it tries to add it to the list of torrents in uTorren, and if I select 'open with' window media player, it says that it can't open a .torrent extension. However, the description of the file in Explore will be a sound file, as will the icon. I've tried moving it to the desktop, the icon is a musical note, it has the .mp3 extension, but still a torrent. I've saved the mp3 to a usb stick moved it to my computer, and all it did was add it to my list of torrents, download it and then it opened fine on my pc as an .mp3! What step am I missing with Vista?

µT opens only .torrent files, not the underlying files contained in the description of a .torrent file.

Are you sure you didn't associate .mp3 or .avi extension to utorrent.exe. If yes, remove this association in Vista.

I understand that, however on anything other than vista it will open. I've changed the program, it says it's a Windows Media Player file, it still has the avi.torrent extension but when I click on it to change it, it's just a .avi. I'm at a loss.

Archived