I can't connect to any peers to seed

prime007

OK guys. I recently got a new computer (Windows XP) after going months without one. Got uTorrent, set it up according to all the guides and everything I could find. I get great download speeds but I can't seem to connect to anyone to seed!

For example, a file I have right now has 197 peers, but I can't connect to any of them, aside from 1 for only a few seconds here and there. My ratios are suffering greatly.

I tried going through and setting up a Static IP address and port forwarding as suggested, but it doesn't work. Then I looked up my ISP's website and it says they don't allow static IP addresses on Residential accounts (strong WTF)

I've added firewall exceptions for both the software and the ports, but nothing changes. Please help!

Then I looked up my ISP's website and it says they don't allow static IP addresses on Residential accounts (strong WTF)

Why the hell are you looking there for something that is ONLY if you have a router and ONLY on your own computer.

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. I have a wireless router/modem. There are 3 people in the house that use it. I checked the ISP's website to try to figure out why only Dynamic IP addresses give me access to the internet while Static IPs don't. I'm trying to set a local static IP so I can forward ports for uTorrent. I set up the static IP properly, I even used Port Forward's Static IP Setup Program. It just doesn't work.

Then chances are there's something in the router/modem combination you have that needs to be changed to get it to work.
...if you don't have anything helpful to say, then why the hell are you posting in my thread in the first place?

Well, considering you haven't told us WHAT modem/router combo you use (which is basically ESSENTIAL information at this point) why are you expecting helpful answers?
Motorola SBG900. I didn't think that information was relevant. If you needed it, all you had to do was ask for it.

When you set up your static IP address on your computer, what did you set it to?

What it was when it was dynamic?

What is the DHCP range of the router in its settings?

The static IP I set was 192.168.0.150. When dynamic it sets it to 192.168.0.3.

DHCP Range is 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.255

Change the dhcp range to .0.2 - .0.120 and set your static back to .0.150

Make sure to specify the correct default gateway (.0.1) and proper DNS addresses (such as google's public DNS servers at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

Done. No change. Still no internet access when set to static.

OK, I figured out the static IP thing. Apparently you have to tell the router in its settings that you're setting up a static IP, enter the addresses, then enter them again in the computer's config. Interestingly it also REQUIRED the address to be within the DHCP Range.

So I've got a static IP addy now...but I still can't seed properly. An online check shows the port for utorrent still being closed, even though its been forwarded in the router, and opened in the firewall...

Ah ha! I just tried something that got results. I temporarily disabled Window's Firewall...and sudden was able to to connect to a bunch of people and seed.

So Window's Firewall is the problem...but I already made the necessary exceptions for uTorrent, what else can I do?

Archived