utserver ACL handling missing

TvL

I run utserver as user utorrent.

I am user tom on the server and like to be able to manage utorrent's downloads.

Therefor I created a default ACL to obtain permissions. However it seems utorrent does not do anything with ACL's. If I am not mistaken, the application is responsible for setting the permissions.

pollux downloads # cd utorrent/completed/
pollux completed # getfacl .
# file: .
# owner: utorrent
# group: utorrent
user::rwx
group::rwx
other::r-x
default:user::rwx
default:user:tom:rwx
default:group::rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::r-x

pollux completed # getfacl The.Secret.Life.of.the.American.Teenager.S04E01.HDTV.XviD-LOL.avi
# file: The.Secret.Life.of.the.American.Teenager.S04E01.HDTV.XviD-LOL.avi
# owner: utorrent
# group: utorrent
user::rw-
user:tom:rwx #effective:r--
group::rwx #effective:r--
mask::r--
other::r--

pollux completed # ls -l
total 1351504
-rw-r--r--+ 1 utorrent utorrent 281684076 2011-06-10 05:10 [HorribleSubs] Naruto Shippuuden - 215 [720p].mkv
drwxrwxrwx+ 4 utorrent utorrent 4096 2011-06-08 20:08 Orcs.2011.720p.BluRay.X264-7SinS.[UsaBit.com]
-rw-r--r--+ 1 utorrent utorrent 367466288 2011-06-15 16:48 Pretty.Little.Liars.S02E01.Its.Alive.HDTV.XviD-FQM.avi
-rw-r--r--+ 1 utorrent utorrent 367988736 2011-06-09 18:39 The Secret Life of the American Teenager S03E26 HDTV XviD.avi
-rw-r--r--+ 1 utorrent utorrent 366662082 2011-06-15 16:43 The.Secret.Life.of.the.American.Teenager.S04E01.HDTV.XviD-LOL.avi

it seems utorrent does not do anything with ACL's.

That is the case: uTorrent Server does not manage ACLs on files it creates.

If I am not mistaken, the application is responsible for setting the permissions.

uTorrent Server sets permissions on torrent files and torrent data files according to the umask of the shell invoking uTorrent Server.

There isn't any intention to create or modify ACLs for files created by uTorrent Server, if that's what you mean.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I think utserver should do something with ACL's, but it doesn't.

I was just wondering if it's on the todo list and this was my bug reports / feature request.

I understand that this functionality may not be a high priority on the todo list.

The problem I have with this, is that I have to run utserver as my user (in order to manage files created by utserver) and give it access to my files. Giving utserver it's own user has now become useless and since my data is very important (to me), it's more dangerous.

Or is there a workaround?

EDIT: Of course, I have to be in the utorrent group to be able to manage utorrent files :S

I think utserver should do something with ACL's, but it doesn't.

I was just wondering if it's on the todo list

It's not, and yes, it is not high priority.

The problem I have with this, is that I have to run utserver as my user (in order to manage files created by utserver) and give it access to my files. Giving utserver it's own user has now become useless and since my data is very important (to me), it's more dangerous.

Or is there a workaround?

EDIT: Of course, I have to be in the utorrent group to be able to manage utorrent files :S

Yes, as long as it's OK to have only one group that has access to the server, and all users needing access to the server can be in that group. I think that's probably why we haven't put this on the todo list because so far nobody has reported needing more complex restrictions than that.

Archived