Help a torrent noob out?

JPaper

OK, now I barely know anything about using torrents so bare with me... I'm only new to it, a few days into using utorrent. But I was wondering if anyone could help me with my speed issues? My internet connection is decent (supposedly 12MB/s), but my downloads on utorrent are horribly slow. They had been alright, at least 100KB/s until tonight (some up in the 500-900KB/s range when at it's best), now they're all below 40KB/s!? I followed the setup guide exactly and don't really know what else I can do to improve my speeds? And yes, I have been seeding everything I download, but my uploads speeds are frustratingly slow as well. Please help an enthusiastic noob out?:)

Cheers.

I changed those settings, they didn't seem to help much... once I paused any downloads I had and tried downloading that LO my speeds were a much healthier 1.3-1.7MB/s... I understand that the more seeds, the faster the download, but some of these are very well seeded. Would it help if I downloaded one file at a time?

Any other tips I can try?

If you set correctly the bandwidth and queueing seetings in µT according to the max UL speed of your connection, so it should be ok (you can run a http://www.speedtest.net/ to know the max UL speed).

After that, there is no guarantee about the DL speed, because it depends mainly on the swarm quality. Some popular public torrents with a ton of leechers and seeders are really slow, some private torrents with 50 peers are overseeded.

Are you sure your ISP doesn't filter p2p traffic during the day?

Yeah, call the support of your ISP and ask them. They have to tell you if they apply some filtering during specific hours.

Anyway if you set µT according to the max UL speed of your connection and there is no ISP throttling, you're fine. The low speed is due to average swarm quality. Try popular overseeded torrents on a private tracker, you should reach your max DL rate.

Archived