'Disk overloaded 100%' message in uTorrent 3.0

eklatrys

I was downloading some files when I got the message that uTorrent 3.0 is available. I confirmed the update as usual and surprise: My download speed doesn't exceed 10Kb/s (it was >5Mb/s). After a close look I realised that in the bottom of the uTorrent window I get the message "Disk overloaded 100%".

I tried changing the disk cache settings and nothing works:

- disabling the uTorrent cache no effect

- manually increasing the cache size: a few seconds of high speed download then again the disk overloads

I don't know how this version was launched as stable but for now I'll try to reinstall the older version of uTorrent.

:(

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for screenshots. I see hashing is ok and uT doesn't overload your disk. Problem is that uT can't write cached information to your disk. Maybe because it is full? Please, check this. If disk, where you write this torrent, has enough space, then it is uT bug.

While I was waiting for a solution I found and installed uTorrent Version: 2.2.1 (Build 25302). To get the screen shot of the disk cache preferences I updated it back to 3.0 and surprise:

NOW IT WORKS FINE !?!?

I looked at the disk cache preferences and they are the same as when uTorrent was not working. I'm sure that I haven't changed anything else in my computer so I can only assume that uTorrent had some wrong hidden settings inherited from the previous version (v2.9 I suppose) and the version 2.2.1 deleted them.

54auyc.jpg

After installing 3.0 I had the same problem. I think I found a solution. Question is, is this only good for my system, or is it general?

When I first installed 3.0, I was using a 32GB thumb drive for initial down/uploading, to save wear and tear on my internal drive, and transferring finished files to a large external drive. Since I was getting frequent 'overload' messages, I decided the thumb drive was just too slow, and moved the down/uploading activity to my internal drive. In 2 months since I did this, I have not gotten a single 'overload' message. I generally set my download speed to 1.4MB/sec and upload to 500kB/sec, tho Comcrash usually limits upload speeds to about half that.

While I was waiting for a solution I found and installed uTorrent Version: 2.2.1 (Build 25302). To get the screen shot of the disk cache preferences I updated it back to 3.0 and surprise:

NOW IT WORKS FINE !?!?

I looked at the disk cache preferences and they are the same as when uTorrent was not working. I'm sure that I haven't changed anything else in my computer so I can only assume that uTorrent had some wrong hidden settings inherited from the previous version (v2.9 I suppose) and the version 2.2.1 deleted them.

54auyc.jpg

You can try the disk-cache setting in my sig/tips . I think that not setting any fixed cache size is problematic...

I got the same problem with disk overload error. It all started with utorrent 3.0. Not sure if it has anything to do with settings, harddrives, cache or anything like that at all. My guess would be that there is simply a giant memory leak in 3.x versions. For instance at the moment my utorrent 3 is using more than 3Gb of memory ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this as I've got the same problem.

Here's my cache settings (anything else than this gets me 100% overload 100% of the time, this works somewhat) :

utorrentcachesettings.png

Here you can see the throughput when uTorrent finally manages to write some:

utorrentnowriting2.png

It'll fill up my 1GB cache and stall (as expected) as it cant seem to actually write to my disk until quite some time has passed. And when downloading at 2-3MB/s 1GB of cache fills rather quickly :P

Storage is on a 3ware 9650SE-8LPML (hardware raid controller, 224MB onboard dedicated cache) in a RAID5 setup with 4x WDC WD2002FYPS-02W3B0 drives (enterprise class SATA drives), and I'm only having trouble with uTorrent, everything else works as one would expect.

Let me start out to say I think uTorrent has been a great piece of software. I'm having a hard time understanding why the admin's and other power users are failing to admit that this is a uTorrent problem. The last version that I had prior to 3, v2.2.1, worked flawlessly. Simply upgrading to the new version causes complete chaos. If it worked previous, and the only update is the client, its not Windows screwing up, its uTorrent.

As an avid uTorrent user for many years, I find this disappointing. I hope it will be fixed soon. uTorrent used to be a micro client, and is clearly venturing far from its roots. I hope I will not have to find an alternative.

maybe nothing. but it can help

had exactly the same problem.

noticed that I only had the problem when I had 1 specific torrent downloading.

can have 10-50 other torrents downloading at the same time and i still don't get disk overload

but when I add that 1 specific torrent to my download list the disk overload happens (even if I download just that 1)

think you can try to fix it to set all your downloads to stop and restart utorrent

now keep an eye to your disk statistics and add the torrents 1 by 1 and see if it results in a disk overload

if a disk overload happens redo all steps but skip the torrent that caused the overload when adding the 1 by 1.

don't know why it happens (am not that technical) but this is how I fixed it. (or worked around it)

edit: atm I did not find any way to add the broken torrent back to the download list.

removing the files and re downloading the torrent did not seem to work.

This problem has rendered version 3.0 useless for me. I get the disk overloaded problem constantly under 3.0. Within 10 minutes of launching 3.0 the hardware interrupts (from proc explorer) skyrocket from an average of < 2 to over 30 when utorrent 3.0 runs, disk overloaded messages appear and the system becomes nearly unusable as CPU is pegged.

Same torrents, same hardware, same settings under 2.2.1 and no problems. I just ran 30 days under 2.2.1 and experienced no issues. I tried 3.0, 254460 this morning and it locked up the system hard after less than 15 minutes of running with the exact same set of torrents, same hardware, same OS (win2003 server). Seeing as the disks in questions is an 8TB array with dual controllers (and at least 4 TB free at the moment) I doubt seriously it is the hardware--especially since the older version works fine.

There is something seriously wrong with 3.0. I've done clean installs, upgrades, clean uninstalls and re-installs and nothing makes a difference.

I've reverted back to 2.2.1 for the time being since this is my primary media server and having it freeze up is not an option.

Okay so here are my thoughts on this issue.

There have been so many people reporting this problem that it is a "Major Bug"

It has nothing to do with DMA v. PIO or any of the other suggestions for if it did then the problem would have existed with previous versions of uTorrent and it did not.

I cannot say precisely what version upgrade the problem started for me but it was in the late stages of ver. 2 and now the problem continues into version 3.

I know this is a free program and project but do the developers care to fix the problem and/or in the interim at least acknowledge the problem and make available the last stable release so that users (like myself) can un-install and downgrade so that we too can download and enjoy torrents without the headaches caused by this "Disk Overloaded" Issue?

I personally do not need nor do I care about all the new features like streaming etc... I just want to be able to download torrents again.

This same problem recently came my way also...after struggling with it for a few days, I have found a "work around" that is working well for me. Basically, I believe that my DL speeds were more than my HDD could write the incoming data...for whatever reason, who knows.

By limiting my DL bandwidth to 100 kB/s at first, and then slowly increasing the speed until I found where the disc overload error started to appear, I was able to find that about 1400 kB/s was the max that my system could take without filling the disc cache, and getting the "disc overloaded 100%" error. As long as the "disc overloaded" never reaches 100%, it will continue at decent speeds.

Currently using 3.0 build 25460

Archived