'Disk overloaded 100%' message in uTorrent 3.0

eklatrys

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I am having the same problem have tried all the answers suggested here but nothing seems to answer the problem, the nearest to a solution so far I have had was turning off the cached writes all together, which left me with download speeds of around 1MBp/s on a 11Mbp/s up & down connection. I have replaced the HDD already originally believing that to be the problem to no avail.

PC spec is as follows -

1.2Ghz Celeron

2GB RAM

1TB HDD

64BIT Win Server 2008 SP2 - Web Edition

Utorrent 3.0 (build 25460)

I have run Utorrent on this setup since version 1.8.2 with no issues what so ever. I saw more and more people adopting 3 and decided to give it a go but this is destroying Utorrent for me, without this flaw its a flawless program!

Below are shots of settings, the incriminating cache, and resource moniter. Hope this helps.

DiscCacheSettings.jpg

WriteStats.jpg

ResourceMon.jpg

Most of the torrents I download come as multi-part. So I would rather not stop downloading them in this format. This said I meant to mention I have 28 torrents active, before the update I had nearly 400 in various states.

I have just tried both a multi-part and a single file torrent, and both torrents simply fill the cache until it is full then downloading stops until enough cache is free.

Try less torrents actively running at once. I'd also keep the Windows system cache on and lower uT's cache to say, 128MB.

Your CPU looks pegged though. Have you tried closing the uTorrent GUI while downloading? This will make it use less CPU.

Try less torrents actively running at once. I'd also keep the Windows system cache on and lower uT's cache to say, 128MB.

I tried this last night and only had 3 active torrents going (2 downloading and 3 up) running on the system, this did no effect the outcome though cache still filled and then download slowed to allow it to catch up.

Your CPU looks pegged though. Have you tried closing the uTorrent GUI while downloading? This will make it use less CPU.

The screenshot I posted is a bit of a misrepresentaion I had not realised that the FTP was being used and that tends to eat up the CPU as its over SSL. I have been monitering for the last hour or so and the CPU seems to be stuck around 60% percent until the cache fills then the CPU goes to 100%.

As I say I have never had any issue with this exact same setup running previous versions of utorrent. This said I have been testing other versions namely 2.1, 1.8.5 and 1.6.1. The thing is that now all the versions respond in the same way, however another torrent client, Deluge, works perfectly. I really don't want to move to another client utorrent is great but its completely un-usable at the moment with this problem.

I had the same problem, for utorrent 3.0 only, every time my download rate exceeded 400kBps I would get a disk overloaded message which would fluctuate between 30-100% keeping the download max to between 200-400kBps. I never had this issue with 2.2.1 and was about to downgrade when I tried Firon's tweak which seems to have fixed it :)

Have you tried tweaking your cache settings? I generally find setting it to around 128MB, then turning on 'write out finished pieces immediately' and turning OFF write out untouched pieces every 2 minutes gives me the best performance.

Try less torrents actively running at once. I'd also keep the Windows system cache on and lower uT's cache to say' date=' 128MB.[/quote']

I tried this last night and only had 3 active torrents going (2 downloading and 3 up) running on the system, this did no effect the outcome though cache still filled and then download slowed to allow it to catch up.

The screenshot I posted is a bit of a misrepresentaion I had not realised that the FTP was being used and that tends to eat up the CPU as its over SSL. I have been monitering for the last hour or so and the CPU seems to be stuck around 60% percent until the cache fills then the CPU goes to 100%.

As I say I have never had any issue with this exact same setup running previous versions of utorrent. This said I have been testing other versions namely 2.1, 1.8.5 and 1.6.1. The thing is that now all the versions respond in the same way, however another torrent client, Deluge, works perfectly. I really don't want to move to another client utorrent is great but its completely un-usable at the moment with this problem.

So, if it's FTP using all that CPU... are you hammering your disk at the same time on FTP? That would explain a lot.

So, if it's FTP using all that CPU... are you hammering your disk at the same time on FTP? That would explain a lot.

I thought the same, having turned off the ftp server and tried again, I am no better off. Still with the disc overload message at the same points. Even with the settings tweaked with every tweak in this thread so far. I really don't know what to try next...

I have tried this and there is only a difference because the single files complete before the cache is full, this then leaves the problem that downloads hang at 99.9% whilst the cache is written to the disc. The multi-file torrents that I often download are much larger 7+ GB or so meaning that I simply do not have enough cache to fulfil this need. I am at my wits end with this problem I really love the new features that 3.0 brings and now even old versions are duff.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a pro user, but have a suggestion, all of you getting disk overload problem may enable high performance of HDD through device manager, i mean "Enable write caching on the device" and "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device" boxes checked. This improves HDD performance a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

xthol and Firon's suggestions are correct.

Downloading too fast will overwhelm your cache and to allow for delayed writes to disk your RAM will serve as a buffer. Simply set an upper limit to how much can be used as cache (I set mine to 1/4th of my total RAM) and DISABLE wait for 2 minutes to write to disk and ENABLE write out finished pieces immediately.

I for one was happy to see the Disk overloaded message as that meant I was downloading faster than disk writes could keep up! But alas, the fun ended when uT started thrashing and I had to kill the program >_<

Although unrelated; for those suffering from uT taking up too much CPU, Windows allows you to set processor affinity and priority per process. Simply lower priority to below 'Normal' and set affinity to only one of your available cores. Even if uT takes up too much processing time, it will at least be limited to one core. Finally, as rafi suggests, minimize uT's interface to also cause less consumption. I'm sure watching your queue won't make things go any faster but perhaps your heart rate.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah! Good answer that is I must say!

Are you serious? This damned problem of the disk overload's been here for ages. And all I've been seeing from the developers are answers to the complaining users like: "It's that crap Windows memory handling problem, not utorrent", "try this, try that" and NO solution so far! Are you kidding us? If it's Windows problem then why doesn't it exist on version 2. And anyway, even if the problem is of the windows, you seem to forget that you're developing a program that works ON windows! The program should follow the OS rules! Not the other way!

So tell us, will you admit that this is a major bug and are you able to fix it? Otherwise just tell us to downgrade and stop all those big-fancy "Super fast. Ultra light." bull about version 3 on the homepage!

Same issue here, was fixed by downgrading to Utorrent 2'ish . Only appreciatable new feature to version 3 is "real" ability to MOVE a torrent. Prevously you had to stop the torrent, manually copy it to a new location the restart the torrent. Nice new feature I must add, but that is really the only appreciatable difference. Utorrent 2 is faster!

Same problem here but it occured when I upgraded to v3.0.0 build 25756.

I always update when uTorrent prompts me so I am pretty sure I had the latest 3.0 build before that which didn't give me the Disk Overload issue.

Now here are my 2-cents:

I have about 100GB of free disk space. When i start a torrent with small files everything works ok. On two torrents I have (one with 3 7-GB files and the other with 10 100MB files) download starts but utorrent never creates the files on the disk. It downloads data until the cache (32MB) is full and then drops the speed and fails to write them to the disk which brings the Disk Oveload message.

I also noticed that uTorrent uses 100% cpu when i start the downloads. (I assume it tries to create the files on the disk) and I have to terminate it through task manager because shutting it down normaly leaves the process running.

I have "preallocate files" selected if it matters anyhow.

I used a different PC I have with a previous version to test those two torrents. I started the downloads and when uTorrent created the incomplete files, I stoped it and moved them to my problematic PC. I started uTorrent and when checking of files finished the download started with no problems writing to disk normally again.

For now I reinstalled v3.0 build 25583 which I'm not sure if it is the one I had before the update and the issue disappeared

Archived