Set Download Location problem

SergSlim

I have a lot of torrents in my uTorrent. I had to change drive letter of one of my discs.

Now I need to change download location of half of my torrents to the new disc.

Example:

I have a torrent downloading to H:\Movie\Season 1\

It has no subfolders in it.

I want to change download location to F:\Movie\Season 1\

I select torrent, go to Advanced -> Set Download Location...

Navigate uTorrent to the new location F:\Movie\Season 1\ and hit Select Folder.

Here's where the problem pops up.

uTorrent adds a subfolder to the path:

F:\Movie\Season 1\Movie.S01.720p.WEB-DL.Rus.Eng

It was a path that was initially in the torrent when I added it:

Save As line looked like this:

H:\Movie\Season 1\Movie.S01.720p.WEB-DLRip.Rus.Eng

but I removed "Movie.S01.720p.WEB-DLRip.Rus.Eng" from it, so that I wouldn't have any extra subfolders in my "Season 1" folder.

Now the only way to download to the same folder without creating a subfolder manually, which I found, is to delete torrent from the list in uTorrent and add it again, in that case I can delete the subfolder, as I did when I first added it.

Is there an easier way to do this?

+1

Set Download Location... does not work as in previous version.

I move downloaded files(sometimes renaming the folder, but not contents), Then I set location to new in uTorrent. But after clicking Force Re-Check it marks all as red. The only way is to point all files one by one separately.

PS And after reinstalling back 2.2.1 it behaves as 3.0 FFFFUUUUUU O_o

SergSlim, the part that added to path is not exactly "a path that was initially in the torrent", it is a current torrent name (in client). It'll be easier to just change torrent name to folder name, then change location and then change back torrent name.

In your example:

1. Change torrent name to "Season 1".

2. Change location to F:\Movie\Season 1\ (with Set Download Location).

3. Change torrent name to it's previous name.

However, if someone knows how this action (automatic addition of torrent name to path) can be changed to a way it was before, in earlier versions (before 2.2, i guess), I'll be very grateful for a solution.

SergSlim, the part that added to path is not exactly "a path that was initially in the torrent", it is a current torrent name (in client). It'll be easier to just change torrent name to folder name, then change location and then change back torrent name.

In your example:

1. Change torrent name to "Season 1".

2. Change location to F:\Movie\Season 1\ (with Set Download Location).

3. Change torrent name to it's previous name.

However, if someone knows how this action (automatic addition of torrent name to path) can be changed to a way it was before, in earlier versions (before 2.2, i guess), I'll be very grateful for a solution.

Sorry, but how do I change torrent name in uTorrent?

EDIT:

Nevermind, already found out how to.... Thanks that worked. Great.

I have had not had access to the net or other things, so I hadn't updated uTorrent in quite some time. I find this issue to be a very troubling thing. I figured out that changing the torrent name to the folder I want, but that is not a fix, it's just a workaround. I have 1500+ torrents and this could be an issue with most of them.... So, renaming 500 seasons to something, changing folder then changing back, a very time consuming thing and I hope there is a fix for this issue soon. Anyone have a fix rather than a workaround?

• 2 weeks later...

So, why was this behavior changed in the current versions? I have not heard anything from people that are doing the development. I have 2k torrents in uTorrent and so renaming each one along with some that have multiple subfolders, is not even close to a feasible option. So, what is being done about this?

I have this same problem too. I have to rename the torrents to be able to reallocate them else it adds the name of the torrent as a sub folder.

OK I found a solution. Pretty simple. Cut the torrent name and press enter so that the torrent has no name. Right click on the torrent and set the download location. It will tell you to overwrite. Select yes. Start the torrent (you don't need to force recheck!). F2 on the torrent, Ctrl V and you're done.

Hi, I have the same problem with my nTorrent 3.0, 32-bit.

I had to install the XP Pro on new hard drive and then the client also nTorrent.

Now my workbooks have always been on a secondary hard drive D: \, and then also all my downloads.

When installing nTorrent assigned the default folders that I have changed the routes that the D: \ Torrent \ downloads.

Now downloads, oddly enough, takes place instead in C: \ Documents and Settings \ Paul \ My Documents \ Downloads, then I find two folders for downloads and are not seen more files in D: \ Torrent \ downloads.

I wish I could revise my old download them again in D: \ Torrent \ downloads, but I can not.

Who has any idea?

I am still curious why this behavior was initiated, can some with more technical knowledge and that knows of the ins and outs, behind the scenes of uTorrent, tell me why this was done?

In my case I have 6 drives that information is spread across and they have drive letters setup from C-H, for now until I add another drive. Among these drives there is 7.5TB of space and many many folders, some files and folders get shared at times, others do not, depending on what I am trying to do. For example, right now I have aproximately 1500 torrents that need my attention and when I recently did a fresh W7 install and an updated install of uT 3.x I noticed this behavior. In addition Windows does not know my drive naming conventions so I have to change them, manually. The windows stuff is not of consequence, but what is and continues to be my problem is that I should not have to rename each and every single torrent to the folder name it is already named to when I used 2.x.

Even when I do rename, within uTorrent, this does not fix the possible subfolder issues within those said folders.

I am hoping we have an option to revert to the previous way of doing things, unless someone has a different more feasible option for making this work.

• 2 weeks later...

The work around is not really a resolution. I have had to go back to 2.0 because of the issues going back for awhile. Why was this implemented, in the first place? It would seem that, though I have more folders and possible seeding files than most, the renaming features and lack of being able to actually reselect incorrectly selected files (I have to do this when I move whole folders to a newer big drive) are major game changes to cause me to try and either continue using an outdated version or to find another client. Any suggestions anyone?

• 6 months later...

There is one more thing I do when I need to move many torrents from drive to drive. My situation with torrents and drives is similar to which kookykrazee is in, only I have more hard drives (currently 13, including system drive) and half as much torrents (~700). Here is a list of my actions:

1. Turn off utorrent.

2. Move files (usually copy, then check and delete from old location).

3. Change necessary paths of torrents in file "resume.dat" (I have that file in my utorrent folder, by default it should be somewhere in "%userfolder%/AppData/Roaming/utorrent", something like that). For example, I move torrents from drive D to drive T, torrents on each drive are in folder "Torrents" (in there divided by subfolders, but that's not the point), so I search in file "resume.dat" string "D:\Torrents" and replace it automatically with "T:\Torrents".

4. Check if all files are moved, then launch utorrent. It should work fine without any rehashing.

Obviosly, if you want to move files just to another folder on the same drive, it should work as well; the main thing is: you should search string (path) that unique for all neccessary torrents and only for them. It's not mandatory to search full path, just part of it that you need.

Hope it will help someone.

P.S. I use "BEncode Editor" for edit that file.

P.P.S. Back up "resume.dat" first, just in case :).

• 9 months later...

Forgot about this issue but now I had to relocate some folders with multiple files in each of them. uTorrent still adds the current torrent name when setting the new download location path for each file. Using 3.2.3. Will this be fixed or is it not regarded as an issue ?

I have not heard anything updating this and have previously been told it's a feature, not a flaw, though I disagree. I have had to go in the Peabody WABAC machine and use an older version of uTorrent. I would love to have newer features (well most of them, anyways) but this aspect makes that impossible. And with other issues that sites have with corrupt data (finally fixed in newest versions) I have not had my version banned, as of yet, by any of the dozens of sites I use.

Archived