Incorrectly Identifying Local peers when there are none

bob925

Running uTorrent 2.2.1 on 2 different computers (xp home 32bit and xp pro 64bit). They appear to randomly be determining that the machine is a local peer of itself for random torrents. There are no torrents in common between the 2 machines. There are no other machines on my network running uTorrent. Under IP address it shows the computer's network name rather than an actual IP, and I've seen sometimes that it shows the wrong version of the client. Enable Local Peer Discovery is turned off on both clients.

It really seems to me that this probably isn't an issue with uTorrent itself and I may have some sort of virus or malware that is causing my clients to report the computers as their own peers rather than an actual peer. It could be some open backdoor in uTorrent that's allowing this also, I suppose. It could be something else occurring that's intended that I'm just not aware. Note that the status bar shows uploads to local peers reach several hundred KB so it's not negligible. Is there any way to test this, or to not allow local peer discovery (keeping in mind that I've already turned it off in preferences)?

Thanks in advance...

Confirmed that the IP address is my router. I have 2 routers setup. One from the ISP that's directly connected to the internet and my own that's connect to the ISP's router. All my mahcines are connected to my own router. The IP that shows is the IP of my router, as my ISP's routher sees it. Hope that was clear. Still no idea why this is happening though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived