uTorrent UI is getting worse by the version

toppatopvt

Well, I just got 3.0 after I had to reformat my laptop (a very nasty little virus, my first reformat, total ugh). Anyways, the design for utorrent totally freaked me out at first, as it was missing so much info that I need and take for granted. Imagine my relief a few minutes ago, to realize that if I right clicked on the heading of one of the columns, I could have exactly what I needed showing, and nothing else! Anyways, I appreciate the freeware. Some of the apps I had that I had actually bought (like wavepad) not only wouldn't let me use my old license key, but their trial version was missing all the codecs). At least utorrent is reliably there, without having to fork out any money. As I'm homeless right now, money is just one thing I don't have. (Everything else I have on my external! what used to take up a whole living room, all sitting in one cheap 1 TB box). If it weren't for your hard work, life would be so much worse for a lot of us! So thank you!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, the idea that homeless people shouldn't torrent is similar to the idea that disabled people shouldn't take the bus. While people with permanent housing have alternatives, such as TV, DVDs, Radios, and room for lots of books and CDs and stuff, people whose housing is off and on do much better just getting a torrented copy for their laptops. I actually work on my laptop. My housing situation came about through no fault of my own, just a string of bad luck with my cars when the govt cut funding for schools (hence cutting into my work hours). Shit happens. I'd rather have my laptop and have all the advantages except an actual bed (showers at the beach, lol), then sit in a gutter and get drunk and moan about my shit life. At least with torrenting, the amount of deprivation is minimal. The cost of a new laptop is the same as 2 weeks in a very shady hotel. Anyways, food for thought.

I do find this annoying about the latest version of utorrent, though. When I upload a torrent, and then download it, and then point it to the file location, I get this weird popup asking me if I want to rewrite the file. Never had that before, and wish I knew how to get rid of it.

Yeah man...My bad. I didnt mean anything by it. But I do not like the new UI. May have to look elsewhere for a new torrent client. I really wish the people that decided to make these changes are reading these forums (Doubt it) but if for some chance you are...Why couldn't you plug the security holes without messing around with the UI we've all grown to love.

• 2 weeks later...

No worries, I "downgraded" to 1.8.5. User Interface is much cleaner and seems to be faster as well.

Not really concerned about any security issues.

The OP is right. I would say after version 1.8.5 utorrent's look and feel has steadily hit the toilet. Who ever is programming this client needs to take lessons from the original designer.

uTorrent 3.0 is their attempt to copy all the bad points of Vista. The answer to the issue of the poor choice of colours is "too use skins!" How the f...k do you drive skins? more things to download, Lots of stuffing about! Just give us a popup colour chart to click the colours we want. Leave skins to those that feel the need to f...k about. Looks like its back to Filehippo to collect an older version. One that you can read with out your eyes hurting.

It would be way cool if when the utorrent development wants to add new thingimijiggers if they could give us some way of deciding whether we wanted the change or not. I mean, to go ahead and include it, but make it an option, and make it easy to figure out how to get what options. That way, i think people are more likely to go ahead and upgrade, rather than wait until it's old. The biggest change in utorrent for me came when it no longer distinguished torrents of the same files. It forces you to either change something (like piece size) or get stuck with all the trackers for the files in one window. This has actually had an adverse affect on the availability of files, because if I forget to change the piece size, I end up just deleting the other torrent (and the access to it to that tracker) rather than combine them (with would incur wrath at many trackers that do ratio seriously.)

Umm, uTorrent has always treated torrents of the same infohash that way. Nothing you can do about it either since there's no way for uTorrent to split the peer connections properly.

Well, for me it seemed to do it up to version, I think, 1.66. I'm not sure what changed after that version, but it used to keep most of them separate. However, in some cases, the trackers have their passkeys set up somehow that this is never an issue on those trackers. It's mostly the gazelle and SM versions that seem to overlap.

I totally agree with you!

Yesterday I made the mistake and upgraded to 3.0, where you don't have all the nice information like sharing rate and max upload in kbit/s visible in the upper window. That is all gone. The guy who is responsible for this horrible UI change belongs in prison. Now I have the problem that I can't roll back, because I don't have the 2.0.4 version anymore and they do not even offer the download of it here. Only the 3.0 crap, where you can't see anything! So I guess I have to use another client if I can't find the 2.0.4 version, after that it all went down anyway.

it really is awful, but at least skinning has become easy enough to restore most of the old interface.

Umm' date=' uTorrent has always treated torrents of the same infohash that way. Nothing you can do about it either since there's no way for uTorrent to split the peer connections properly.[/quote']

Well, for me it seemed to do it up to version, I think, 1.66. I'm not sure what changed after that version, but it used to keep most of them separate. However, in some cases, the trackers have their passkeys set up somehow that this is never an issue on those trackers. It's mostly the gazelle and SM versions that seem to overlap.

no, you're wrong. good private trackers modify the infohash in a unique manner, preventing overlap. it has nothing to do with mutorrent or passkeys.

Yeah ! UI is bad for version 3...

I Designed UI before for software and knew how difficult it is to satisfy "everyone"...

but... simplicity is beauty for most of us... now ver 3.0 got these left side "bar" with

down and up arrows... CAN NOT get rid of it... I don't need it to occupied my screen space,

it used to have an download or upload arrow in front of file under "Name"... why it's taken out ???

"Drop files to send" box on the left ? it's a Great Idea, provided I wanted it, please let us

get rid of it using "right click"....

I like the previous uTorrent with clean, minimum UI view,

everytime I check the download, it makes me HAPPY !

please go back to version 2.0 design or let user able to fully customizing it... THANKS !

Changes are good, but not this.. not this...

"Health" bar, what da faq...

To change skin you have to close program (XX century guys, comon..) find something like old smart design and what next? looking for the instructions how to use it! argh..

I'm just too tired for this, it's sabotage!

Gee guys, I can't understand why you're having problems with µT 3.0. The only thing I did was change some icons -- if 3.0 has some additional "features" that are causing problems, I wouldn't know because I didn't enable them. My 3.0 works fine. In fact, I use Windows 7-64 and I don't want to even hear about the 64 bit test version that's out there. Few if any benefits, many bugs.

• 2 months later...

I really tried to like the new 3.x UI, to find something redeeming in the design; but it abrogates so many cardinal rules of not just acceptable UI design but common sense it's shocking. Were it something new and innovative like some of the UI ideas explored in Oberon Gadgets over a decade ago, it might be forgivable; but we have instead is a UI that is so counter-intuitive and ungainly that it requires it's own built in tutorial -- for downloading torrents!

µTorrent by moniker and name sake, design canon, and even professed design goals of being 'lightweight and efficient' -- the new UI and features are neither and belong in another program entirely...

µTorrent 3.x requires more User UI input manipulation to get even the simplest things accomplished, uses more screen real-estate to comport less useful information, uses more system resources, follows no familiar UI design conventions making the interface obtuse, and counter-intuitive at best.

For any product or service to be popular and successful, it has to be made as effortless for the broadest audience to use as possible; that's how µTorrent through it's 2.x iteration got where it is... It looks like µTorrent's Developers are going to have to learn these lessons the hard way rather from the expensive mistakes of others... Too bad, µTorrent was a fantastic product that could have been easily monetized so many ways, now it's being marginalized in so many ways...

:(

• 1 month later...

you can still switch back to more classic interface from top right change view button. And you can always disable needless parts of UI (apps, reviews, featured & other useless stuff) and use skin to change back to old good µtorrent color scheme ^^.

Man, had to really scroll down to the bottom of this to add that the 3.0 UI color scheme SUCKS. And the vertical line spacing,and the icons, and on and on. Who did this thing, anyway? Talk about steps backwasrds. Also writing this note reminds me how this message board sucks -- god-awful problem with letter kerning. I think Winodows 1.0 was better than this.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a fan of the new version but I understand the need for security so would prefer to keep the latest version installed if I can just get one thing back that all the older versions had.

I was pleased to find the Change Toggle View (top right) that gave me back the layout I'm comfortable with, but I've searched all over looking for a way to bring back 'Show a window that shows the files inside the torrent before you commit to downloading them' along with the ability to change the download folder in situ as it were, and not have to stop, open utorrent, go to preferences, change the download folder from within the program, close utorrent, run back to the download website and restart the download process again.

I have a box ticked in utorrent preferences that should give me that window but no window appears, when I click on a 'Download Torrent' link the new torrent immediately drops into my torrent program before I can check the files and untick any files I don't want. How do I get my window back?

Archived