e-mail collecting torrent

Brn

Hi everyone,

I had a big surpirse today. I wanted to check if a torrent was what it said it was. It contained a txt file and an avi file. I wasn't sure, so I only downloaded the txt file to check what it says about the torrent (skipped the other one). To my greatest amazement, the txt contained my e-mail address.

The torrent was from a public site (ISOhunt), not a subscription one.

Is this normal? Can a torrent file gather such information? Because then when the file is seeded back, probably a software somewhere is looking for it and collects the info from all over the planet.

Did the file contain your e-mail address when downloading the whole torrent (not skipping files)?

I did not download the whole torrent because got a bit scared to be honest. Anyway, the torrent seemed a bit fishy, that's why I did not start download the whole thing in the first place.

The reason I ask is that the behavior you describe is consistent with disk space allocation problems common with videos that people try to preview.

No, I didn't try to preview the video file.

So basically you are saying that this is quite normal?

But why does utorrent acces e-mail data? Yeah, it might read diskspace and certain data on the drive, but why does it write a sensitive data into the file that is going to be uploaded?

Archived