What the Hell happened!

Ye, this new UI is moronic at best.

For example the Add torrent window (the one that pops up when u click on .torrent file):

- has totally messed up [tab] policy (you have to tab gazillion times until you can browse to usable stuff like 'Start torrent',

- 'Don't show it again' whats with that? If anything they should add 'Don't show it again' to 'Don't show it again' and this silly thing that toggles view - because they are simply useless and annoying,

- doesn't remember its size and position.

All of this in simple Add torrent window?

Not to mention the pail progress bar colors and their general color scheme which is not helpful at all (what does these colors suppose to mean?).

New way of sorting of queue when sorted by 'Status'? N/c.

And last but not the least: update == total columns mayhem... again - how hard is to save my column settings?

I really want to add it too - GUI and UI itself became too annoying with ratings, green and too thick status bars with no supporting to old skins, that I had before. I used 2.2.1 and it was great, so please, return it back to how it used to be - simple and supporting skins.

As you said - it became simplier - you were really wrong here, for torrents health and ratings - who cares?

Anyways, thanks for your hard work, I will wait with hope, that 3.0 will become better how it was before.

• 2 months later...

I want to "second" the sentiments expressed here. I found the 3.0 UI impossible and not very practical. I did not spend enough time on it to pick at all the details .. it didn't support that kind of effort. I need details of the process. I need more detailed enhancements to ver 2.x not less. I went back to 2.0.1 .. I would probably go back to 2.2 but there was a problem when i wanted to have all versions of utorrent to play with and found that each time I started a version it installed itself over the previous one and was losing settings ...coming up with an empty database of torrents. 3.0 seems like an entirely different program , different philosophy and vision ... like 'string physics for dummies' ... whose the public for which this appeals , sophisticated users with a penchant for the unsophisticated. I use or have used just about every feature in the 2.x versions ... they "make" the app. My experience with "just give me my download now crowd" is that they will tire of the method and move on to something completely unrelated as their distribution model. Streaming torrents media players, the notion that this is a method for streaming realtime media is to misunderstand the true potential of 2.x This should have been moving in an entirely different direction ....back up the bus.

I find it curious that people who claim to use every feature of 2.x can't see that 3.x provides essentially the same features: it just doesn't overload the uninitiated with information AND the way to change which information is presented in version 3.x is the SAME as in 2.x If you think you understand the information you ought to be able to figure out how to click on the options to see it. Anyone who has a passing understanding of Windows applications can easily "discover" how to turn on whatever they think they are missing... (Or they can RTFM)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've stopped using uTorrent a while back when the changes started to occur. Just as an analogy... Azureus failed for similar reasons. It used to be a great torrent client... then they started to change the interface, adding weid features like streaming and crap like that. Who uses it now? Same happened to Shareaza... (Gnutella/2) used to be great, but at first they started adding features like media players, now they completely switched over to streaming media. uTorrent will fail as well if they continue on like this, more and more people realize this now (many still haven't... oh well, you will regret that you supported this later). As for me, I switched to Transmission (transmission-daemon + 3rd party transmission-gui, both are free) Transmission-gui has the same interface as uTorrent <= 2.x

• 3 weeks later...

This is not a matter of people simply resisting change. They have made a fundamental design error that users hate. They've tried to dumb-down, or Apple-fy, software for a set of users who aren't dumb, but know exactly what they are doing and exactly what they like.

And that's suicidal.

And because of the ridiculous and unwanted double-spacing, you can't restore the software to any reasonable semblance of functionality. Contrary to the snotty retorts, you can't just right-click the double spacing away.

I uninstalled the software. Googled for an older version (2.2.1). Downloaded and installed the OLD version. Then Googled images for screen shots of the older version, so I could restore the look and feel I had come to depend upon.

Fix the interface, because I, for one, will never download another of your design train wrecks.

• 1 month later...

I only went though the BS to post how much I hate the UI of version 3!!! I may consider paying for a ver2 interface, but 3!! No way would I pay a dime for something that is worse than the prior version. Most programmers suck these days..They need to get a clue that every app is not a life long project!!! I know I am a good programmer!

Archived