Guide: µTorrent 2.2 style Speed Graph (& nothing more) in µTorrent 3.0

Are you like me who travelled the journey of life a long way with uTorrent and have grown to love the style and looks of the Speed Graph in uTorrent 2.2 and earlier? You'll very likely agree that the dark blue background with white text is just unbeatably attractive and easy on the eyes.

Old_Graph_after.png

But in uTorrent 3.0, they changed everything. They now have a light grey background with black text, which looks really ugly IMHO.

Old_Graph_before.png

Lucky for us, they also introduced the new skin format (back in v2.2 actually), where you can change the colours of anything in the user interface. If you notice my first screenshot, it says µTorrent 3.0 in the title bar. It's because I have skinned it.

If you're not using any skin in the new format (just plain vanilla uTorrent; not sure? see below), you can just download this file which I have created:

Old_Graph_Style_in_uTorrent_3.btskin

Double-click on the file to install the skin (if the file type is associated with uTorrent) or drag and drop the file onto your uTorrent window. You will have to restart uTorrent for the skin to take effect.

I have seen other .btskin files floating around claiming to set your speed graph in the old colours, and I've checked them out. They do change your graph colors but they change a lot of other colors too. My skin here will only change the colors of the speed graph. The rest of uTorrent 3.0 will look exactly like uTorrent 3.0.

The colors used are original colours of uTorrent 2.2 as they are copied from the official Guide to Creating Skins which carry the 2.2 color values.

If you're currently using a skin in new format (not sure? see below) you have to modify your existing skin file unless you don't mind losing your current uTorrent look. Find the skin file (see below) and open it in 7-Zip or WinRAR. (You may want to back-up your skin file before proceeding.) If you find a file named btskin (no extension), drag it out to a temporary location, then edit it in Notepad. If there's no such file, then create a file btskin using Notepad (remember to avoid the .txt extension). Change or add the following lines to this text file:

graph_bg:000040graph_border:c0c0ffgraph_text:ffffffgraph_ruler:20209fgraph_legend_bg:000020graph_legend_text:e0e0ff

Once saved, just drag and drop the new btskin file in the 7-Zip or WinRAR window and allow overwriting existing file in the skin file archive. Restart uTorrent for changes to take effect.

Tip: Don't have a suitable archive manager such as 7-Zip or WinRAR? You can rename the skin file to current.zip and make changes using the ZIP support of Windows. Just remember to rename it back to current.btskin.

If you're not sure whether you're using a skin in the new format, just open the %AppData%\uTorrent folder (or wherever your uTorrent settings.dat is) and check if you have a file named current.btskin. This is your skin file that you have to modify.

Hope you like it! Feel free to ask any questions.

Edit: Minor changes in first paragraph.

Edit: Underlining for easier look-up.

Edit: Changed to Dropbox hosting.

• 1 month later...

Agent007Bond

WOW ! You rock dude. Your post is excellent. Concise, straight to the point.

Easy to understand, and implement. I simply downloaded your skin file, by left clicking on it,

scanned for virus (clean) , then like you suggested, I drag and dropped it right onto my active uTorrent window and voila , the graph change colours right away, I did'nt even have to restart uTorrent.

The way you designed your post and the implementation is very easy.

I think you will be the next Bill Gates or Steve Wozniak.

Hell, for all I know you are either Bill Gates or Steve Wozniak.

Thank You very much..

P.S. Now I have extra time to brush my gums. Joes90-G1024.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Joes90-TorrentulaTorrentBar_Cyan.jpg

LOL, I'm certainly not anywhere near Bill Gates or Steve Wozniak though we do share a few traits (such as atheism and interest in computers). But thanks a lot for the compliments! I'm glad my post has been of help to you :)

PS: Your pictures are not loading, if you were trying to show something there. It says the files contain errors. I suggest FileDen.com for file uploads.

• 2 months later...
LOL, I'm certainly not anywhere near Bill Gates or Steve Wozniak

You are definitely not. You aren't smart at all. Where are your pictures, mr Bill Gates Junior?

And thats what your dumb hostfile says:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /files/2006/12/20/534119/uTorrent/Old_Graph_Style_in_uTorrent_3.btskin on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at www.fileden.com Port 80

I did exactly as you tried to explain but nothing happened:

1322804920-tor-18kb.png

Some people can't explain something simply enough without a visualization and without using PowerPoint.

LOL' date=' I'm certainly not anywhere near Bill Gates or Steve Wozniak [/quote']

You are definitely not. You aren't smart at all. Where are your pictures, mr Bill Gates Junior?

And thats what your dumb hostfile says:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /files/2006/12/20/534119/uTorrent/Old_Graph_Style_in_uTorrent_3.btskin on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at www.fileden.com Port 80

I did exactly as you tried to explain but nothing happened:

http://clip2net.com/clip/m62359/1322804920-tor-18kb.png

Some people can't explain something simply enough without a visualization and without using PowerPoint.

Can't you be more civil about reporting the dead link? Why do you have to get so pissy about it and talk rudely about my smartness. The website hosting the file is having problems at the moment as they are upgrading servers. This is obviously not under my control since I'm simply an user at the website, and your reaction to this situation clearly shows who is the dumb one here.

Here's the file, I'm letting you download through my Dropbox account: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41098084/uTorrentSkin/Old_Graph_Style_in_uTorrent_3.btskin Be thankful.

And my instructions are simple enough for others who have used them, yet you find it so difficult, messing up your uTorrent with so many unnecessary files. I wonder why. Try this (NOTE: You don't need to do the following if you're going to put the above file as "current.btskin". It will work out of the box.):

Delete your btskin.zip, btskin and current.btskin.zip files.

Open your current.btskin file in WinRAR.

Drag out the btskin file inside.

Open the dragged out btskin file in Notepad and edit it. Save it.

Drag the edited btskin file into the WinRAR window of current.btskin and accept overwriting.

Close WinRAR and restart uTorrent.

If you still can't get it to work, you're doing something wrong. You could just send me your current.btskin file (original one) and I could send you back the modified one.

And please, be more civil next time or I won't bother so much about you.

Can't you be more civil about reporting the dead link? Why do you have to get so pissy about it and talk rudely about my smartness. The website hosting the file is having problems at the moment as they are upgrading servers. This is obviously not under my control since I'm simply an user at the website, and your reaction to this situation clearly shows who is the dumb one here.

Can' you be more civil descrbing my commenting as pissy? Isn't that an adequate response to you childish comparison of yourself to B.Gates & S.Jobs?

Can' you be more responsible recommending scam filehost?

Can' you be more careful posting vague explanation?

So please, don't bother so much about me & and my civil manners, and concentrate on the subject of your posting next time, so I won't waste my time reading obscure tips and trying dead links. I didn't compare myself to Mother Teresa, did I? So you can focus on torrent setting, I guess, mr. Steven Jobs Junior.

Because of so promising title and dim content of your posting I looked for other links and downloaded way too many files from there:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=592788

And it all worked from the first time. I just couldn't believe that all this can only change one stupid ugly design to another dumb and ugly. Can you compare two of them and old one, instead of comparing your ass to Steven Jobs?

1322815626-tor3-5kb.png

See the difference mr. Dolce & Gabbana? How people can be so retarded, OMG!

But they can. That's why they can't see the sarcasm.

See the difference between that and being "pissy", mr. Benjamin Spock Junior?

Can' you be more civil descrbing my commenting as pissy? Isn't that an adequate response to you childish comparison of yourself to B.Gates & S.Jobs?

Can' you be more responsible recommending scam filehost?

Can' you be more careful posting vague explanation?

So please, don't bother so much about me & and my civil manners, and concentrate on the subject of your posting next time, so I won't waste my time reading obscure tips and trying dead links. I didn't compare myself to Mother Teresa, did I? So you can focus on torrent setting, I guess, mr. Steven Jobs Junior.

Because of so promising title and dim content of your posting I looked for other links and downloaded way too many files from there:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=592788

And it all worked from the first time. I just couldn't believe that all this can only change one stupid ugly design to another dumb and ugly. Can you compare two of them and old one, instead of comparing your ass to Steven Jobs?

http://clip2net.com/clip/m62359/1322815626-tor3-5kb.png

See the difference mr. Dolce & Gabbana? How people can be so retarded, OMG!

But they can. That's why they can't see the sarcasm.

See the difference between that and being "pissy", mr. Benjamin Spock Junior?

Hey if you don't like the colors just go somewhere else OK? Did I say I'm as good as Bill Gates or Steve Jobs here? Did I? Stop putting words in my mouth, and watch your own mouth. Get the f off if you don't like my "obscure" tips and "vague" explanations. Any idiot can understand my instructions, it's that simple. If you want it broken down to tiny baby steps presented in a Powerpoint because you don't know even a single thing about computers, go somewhere else. I can't cater to you or your whims Mr Mother Theresa Junior!

• 2 weeks later...

agent007bond,

You ROCK, my Man!!!!..........Don't mind what Sv213 says...

I even registered on the forums JUST so I could post this.. :D

I've been using uTorrent for close to 10yrs, if not more.

I have NO idea why they decided to use a white background with VERY thin light blue and light green graph colors. They need to realise a graph like that needs HIGH CONTRAST!...Especially for colorblind people...Its been driving me NUTS for the past month, since I finally broke down and upgraded. (I even held off, and skipped 2.2 on up, as I didnt like the new look and feel), but now they've hit 3.0, I figured I better upgrade.

Anyway, my eyes THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

I was also a little confused about your guide, but discovered very quickly where the confusion was coming from. You kept making mention of a file called current.btskin which didn't make any sense as the download link gave us a file called Old_Graph_Style_in_uTorrent_3.zip with an unknown file called btskin inside. No extraction is nessessary to get it to work. All you have to do is download that zip file, change the file name (and extension) to current.btskin, and open that file in uTorrent. The next time you restart uTorrent it will have the Graph with the Blue background.

I was also a little dissapointed that the line colours wern't the same as they were in version 2, and If I have time I might make my own btskin file to fix this and upload it.

Ok, I just made the the complete v2.2 graph theme, you can download it here.

https://rapidshare.com/files/573240226/uTorrent_Ver2.2_Graph_Theme.zip

All you have to do is extract current.btskin from that zip and open it in uTorrent. Next time you restart uTorrent it should be running fine.

Or if you've already got you're own btskin file just add these lines to it.

Enjoy :)

upload_rate_limit:800000download_rate_limit:008000upload_rate_payload:ff0000download_rate_payload:00ff00upload_rate_local:ff7070download_rate_local:70ff70upload_rate_overhead:800000download_rate_overhead:008000cache_reading:800000file_reading:ff0000cache_writing:008000file_writing:00ff00graph_bg:000040graph_border:c0c0ffgraph_text:ffffffgraph_ruler:20209fgraph_legend_bg:000020graph_legend_text:e0e0ffack_upload:ff0000ack_download:00ff00header_upload:ff7070header_download:70ff70connect_upload:ff8888connect_download:88ff88close_upload:ff6000close_download:60ff00retransmission_upload:600000retransmission_download:006000peak_send_delay:800000avg_send_delay:ff0000min_send_delay:800000peak_recv_delay:008000avg_recv_delay:00ff00min_recv_delay:008000target_delay:aaaaaaeye_piece:ffffffcursor_piece:0000ffdeadline_piece:00ff00hole_piece:00ffffghost_piece:ff0000prio_window_start:ff00ffprio_window_end:ffff00total_pieces:7f7f7fcritical requests:00007fcritical requests cancelled:007f00non-critical requests:007f7fbuffer_size:7f0000secs_ahead_of_ghost:7f007fsecs_ahead_of_eye:7f7f00secs_of_underrun:0f0f0f

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Are you like me who travelled the journey of life a long way with uTorrent and have grown to love the style and looks of the Speed Graph in uTorrent 2.2 and earlier? You'll very likely agree that the dark blue background with white text is just unbeatably attractive and easy on the eyes.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41098084/uTorrentSkin/Old_Graph_after.png

But in uTorrent 3.0, they changed everything. They now have a light grey background with black text, which looks really ugly IMHO.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41098084/uTorrentSkin/Old_Graph_before.png

Lucky for us, they also introduced the new skin format (back in v2.2 actually), where you can change the colours of anything in the user interface. If you notice my first screenshot, it says µTorrent 3.0 in the title bar. It's because I have skinned it.

If you're not using any skin in the new format (just plain vanilla uTorrent; not sure? see below), you can just download this file which I have created:

<snip>

Excellent, thanks for the skin!

• 3 months later...

Hi!

I tried adding these lines to the btskin in "Old_Graph_Style_in_uTorrent_3.btskin" make the graphs the old colors:

upload_rate_limit:800000download_rate_limit:008000upload_rate_payload:ff0000download_rate_payload:00ff00upload_rate_local:ff7070download_rate_local:70ff70upload_rate_overhead:800000download_rate_overhead:008000

Copied it form the announcement thread

But nothing happened. The graphs stayed the same. With newest μtorrent at the moment. (3.1.3)

PS:

BTW in the announcement thread its stated that soon there will be a sking galler for the new skin format but I couldn't find it. (I wanted a nice medium darkish color palette)

• 6 months later...

Double-click on the file to install the skin (if the file type is associated with uTorrent) or drag and drop the file onto your uTorrent window. You will have to restart uTorrent for the skin to take effect.

The white Speed Graph background has been annoying me since it was first implemented, and I've been waiting all this time for them to change it back. Finally, I started seriously searching for a solution to fix it tonight, when I came across your thread.

I don't care what ANYONE else says, you ARE a genius! One click on the link above while uTorrent was running, and the Speed Graph background was immediately changed back to the old style. Didn't even need to restart the program. Doesn't get any easier than that.

What DOES baffle me however, is the poor attitude of some individuals that are in need of help, who lash out at those offering solutions. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much.

• 2 months later...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41098084/uTorrentSkin/Old_Graph_after.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41098084/uTorrentSkin/Old_Graph_before.png

I have seen other .btskin files floating around claiming to set your speed graph in the old colours, and I've checked them out. They do change your graph colors but they change a lot of other colors too. My skin here will only change the colors of the speed graph. The rest of uTorrent 3.0 will look exactly like uTorrent 3.0.

The colors used are original colours of uTorrent 2.2 as they are copied from the official Guide to Creating Skins which carry the 2.2 color values.

If you're currently using a skin in new format (not sure? see below) you have to modify your existing skin file unless you don't mind losing your current uTorrent look. Find the skin file (see below) and open it in 7-Zip or WinRAR. (You may want to back-up your skin file before proceeding.) If you find a file named btskin (no extension), drag it out to a temporary location, then edit it in Notepad. If there's no such file, then create a file btskin using Notepad (remember to avoid the .txt extension). Change or add the following lines to this text file:

graph_bg:000040

graph_border:c0c0ff

graph_text:ffffff

graph_ruler:20209f

graph_legend_bg:000020

graph_legend_text:e0e0ff

Once saved, just drag and drop the new btskin file in the 7-Zip or WinRAR window and allow overwriting existing file in the skin file archive. Restart uTorrent for changes to take effect.

Tip: Don't have a suitable archive manager such as 7-Zip or WinRAR? You can rename the skin file to current.zip and make changes using the ZIP support of Windows. Just remember to rename it back to current.btskin.

If you're not sure whether you're using a skin in the new format, just open the %AppData%\uTorrent folder (or wherever your uTorrent settings.dat is) and check if you have a file named current.btskin. This is your skin file that you have to modify.

Hope you like it! Feel free to ask any questions.

Edit: Minor changes in first paragraph.

Edit: Underlining for easier look-up.

Edit: Changed to Dropbox hosting.

Hi,

I'm just getting into changing my colors in uTorrent. You don't know if you have a chart showing what all the btskin apply to, just like you did with the downloading and with the download/upload bars. Can you also tell me what the _bg colors are for?

Thanks. :)

• 10 months later...

:rolleyes:

Wow, " Sv213 " is and was off the charts. He must be on drugs or something !

If he would have read near the top of the thread again, he would have seen that the

only one that made a reference to Bill Gates or Steve Wazniak was myself.

Agent007Bond only replied to my Kudos. Which apparently Sv213 took offence to

and let his jealousy come boiling through. I had no problem following the instructions provided by Agent007Bond. If you are fairly new to computers ( say 1 or 3 years ) I could see where you might get confused. But if you try it one way and it does not work, go back and re read the post , trying to see it differently. Don't be so impatient. Keep trying 2 or 3 different ways, eventually you will get it.

" Persistence Pays Off " . I thought Agent007Bond was thoughtful and assertive in his reply to

" Sv213 " . Agent007Bond even provided him with further information and provided his Dropbox link.

Now that's customer service ! Way to go Agent007Bond, Kudos to you ! . . . . . ;)

Archived