What is a Leecher?

weinabena

When you download a torrent, you also upload the pieces you already have to others.

In order to seed, you need to have the full file, so when your done with your download, you'll begin to seed automaticley. Just let it run for a while.

Note: A ratio number over 1.000 means that you've given more then you've taken.

"is there anyway i can get a better ratio faster?"

if you would buy yourself a faster internet upload link you could have a better ratio faster ;-)

just let the files seed as long as it is possible for you to do so. and your ratio wil be fine and you will be a good fellow for the p2p comunity.

BTW: My stats:

UL 86.8 GB

DL 122 GB

And this on an 2000/200 asyncronous DSL line ;-)

Indeed I never liked how people refer to peers as leechers, and call downloading a torrent "leeching" a torrent. Sounds odd -- I still don't understand why someone would want to call themselves leeches when a more appropriate (and less negatively connotated) word can be used. Now there's almost a dual-meaning for leecher (both of which were already brought up in this thread), and it doesn't really help...

A: "Stop being a leecher and seed more!"

B: "But I don't have the full file, so how can I seed?"

Obviously, person A was talking about person B's ratio, but person B took it as meaning downloading... What a stupid example xD

• 9 months later...

Whats a Leecher?

Well when you start to download a Torrent file you are a leecher untill you have the complete copy of the file and you turns into a Seeder. But remember that as a leecher you are also a Peer which means that you contribute your bandwidth to the others in the swarm.

So why is Leecher a bad thing?

One has to differ a Leecher as a function and Leecher as a status. As a function all Peers except the seeders are leechers. The individuals who dont give back enough data to the swarms they participate in though gets the status Leecher which is a really bad thing and they are very hated amongst us good Pirates:)

Wouldn't it be simpler to say that a peer is someone in the swarm, a seed is a peer with 100% of the data, and a leecher is someone who doesn't share back?

As I've said several posts before, it doesn't help new users by mixing the terminology up for them. All they're going to be wondering is "How can I not be a leecher [person who doesn't share back] while being a leecher [person who doesn't have 100% of the data]?" Obviously, someone's going to get confused, and unnecessarily at that (seeing as how there are clearer terms available to be used).

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm not a leecher.

I have used uTorrent for quite a while - I have super fast internet

20mb/sec down

4mb/s up

So I went and I downloaded a few movies (i.e. 50gb) then realised that I had left them running over night = equating to 16gb of upload as well - one productive day 66gb in a day :)

Now I limit my upload :)

Archived