Major Problem: "Automatically Open Torrents Found In Folder"

expirobo

For some reason, no matter if I check the box or not, when I download any torrents into my 'Downloads' folder it automatically loads uTorrent and starts the download. This will not stop even if I uncheck the box. I can even uninstall uTorrent and it will still try to start the application and give me an error, "There is no program associated with this file type. Please select a program or download one from the App Store"

I can change the folder to watch for torrent downloads but it will still open uTorrent if one lands in the 'Downloads' folder. I have spend weeks trying to find a solution.

1) I have tried checking 'Folder Actions' but none exist

2) I have scoured every .scpt file on my system and nothing shows up for uTorrent

3) I have even deleted the 'Downloads' folder and re-created it...same problem

4) Ran several file system monitors to see what changes when I click the checkbox and nothing obvious was found.

If anyone knows what apple file or script causes this that I can delete, I would be grateful!

I have a MBP core i7 with 8 gigs ram, OS X Snow Leopard (Now upgraded to Lion). Both OS's had the problem. I have the tried the latest stable and beta uTorrent versions.

Thanks,

Expirobo

Could it be that Safari handles .torrent files as "safe" files and automatically opens them when they are downloaded? Open your Safari preferences and see if the box "Open safe files after downloading" is checked.

I wish it was that easy. I can even simply drag a .torrent file into my "Downloads" folder and it will do the same. It all started after I checked that box in uTorrent though. So strange. For clarification, I'm using Chrome.

Thanks,

Expirobo

Sounds like something has gone wrong with your folder actions. The way µTorrent works, it only watches the folder. If µTorrent is not running, putting a torrent in the folder won't do anything until µTorrent is started again. Are you perhaps running some kind of utility like Hazel?

Archived