Forwarding Port on Mac

LadyV

I would like to know how to forward a port on a mac. People keep telling me to go to portforward.com but the problem is the guide in that site shows you how to forward ports using a Windows computer, I've read the guide and have tried but it's completely different on a Mac.

Yes it is. It says that 'Enable UPnP' should be unchecked and I can't find it in the Preferences menu. It's located in Connections and there isn't a tab called Connections in uTorrent for Mac. Add uTorrent to Windows Firewall should be checked also, what is it called on uTorrent for Mac?

LadyV - We recommend that instead of forwarding ports, you use the upnp feature on most modern routers to do the work for you. It normally leads to good results and is much simpler to set. Go to Network and make sure the "Automatically map port (using NAT-PMP or UPnP)" is checked. Then go to your router admin console and make sure that UPnP is on. Restarting the router is usually a good idea to make sure it sticks. Restarting µTorrent is probably wise as well.

That doesn't always work, so you can try to forward ports manually. You specify the port in the Network section of Preferences. You can also uncheck the UPnP setting there. Every router will have a slightly different way of port forwarding, which is why portforward.com is useful. Follow directions there or from your router maker. Restart both and it should take. Note: the connection status indicator may not turn green until there is actually torrent activity, so give it a little time.

Hope that helps.

Archived