uTorrent + WNR3500v2 = Flaky internet: Found a fix

aqualung99

This worked for me when nothing else would. Whenever uTorrent was running -- even dramatically throttled-down on connections & bandwidth -- my internet would get really slow & flaky.

From the router admin page (192.168.1.1 in my case), select "WAN Setup" from the list on the left. Then make sure the setting "NAT Filtering" is set to "Open" instead of "Secured."

I'm not sure how much less secure this makes me (I don't use Windows Firewall and rely on the router for protection) but it's worth it to have a responsive internet & uTorrent both at the same time.

Info:

Running uTorrent 2.2.1 with UPnP Enabled

WNR3500v2 also has uPnP enabled, but I forward uTorrent's port as well just to be sure :)

I'm not sure how much less secure this makes me (I don't use Windows Firewall and rely on the router for protection) but it's worth it to have a responsive internet & uTorrent both at the same time.

Not much. That's probably the SPI firewall I keep telling people to disable, and it is just a resource waster because of how routers normally work.

WOW! You just helped me fix my problems.

I'm using the D-Link DIR-615.Hardware Version: C1 Firmware Version: 3.12NA

There are three options in the Firewall settings for UDP Endpoint Filtering.

-Endpoint Independent

-Address Restricted

-Port And Address Restricted

It was set to Address Restricted by default. I changed this to Endpoint Independent, and things are working normally now.Now I can actually browse the internet without having dial up speeds! Ever since version 2.2.1, I have had this issue with uTorrent. I also was getting crappy upload speeds, and a lot of weird ghost traffic or something.

There is an option in the Firewall settings for Enable SPI. I unchecked it. I also changed the UDP Endpoint Filtering back to Address restricted. This actually made my problems go right back to where they were with uTorrent, but now my browsing was fine.

So I re-enabled SPI, and put the UDP Endpoint Filtering option to Endpoint Independent. This seems to work best. I'll check back again and see how my torrents are doing later.

I also read about SPI on wikipedia. It had this to say:

Incompatibilities

The latest Linux (v 2.6.8 and on) and Microsoft (Windows 7 and Windows Vista) operating systems use TCP window scaling for non-HTTP (web) connections. This behavior is incompatible with some firewalls that use SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) as found in firewalls like the Check Point NG R55, Cisco PIX earlier than v6.3.1, NetApp Cache Appliances, SonicWall, D-Link DI-724U, Netgear WGR614, and Linksys WRT54GS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stateful_firewall

EDIT: Okay, so none of that worked. It ended up just going right back to the way it was. Slowing my internet, and speeds went way down on torrents as well. Back to version 2.2! That's the last version to work properly for me.

Archived