µTorrent 3.1 Release Candidate 11

Firon

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been 5 years since my last post, but before the 3.1 cycle ends, I was hoping for one feature: When opening a torrent with µTorrent, the torrent popup comes up before the status file is read and labels parsed out of it, so no or few labels show up in the popup. This only started with 3.0 and its asynchronous loading.

It'd be very helpful if they either got dynamically added to the popup as they are parsed out, or delay the popup a couple of seconds to give the parser a chance to read the labels; otherwise I usually have to go back and add the torrent to the label manually after starting it.

This is only an issue when the program is closed, of course. Adding a torrent when it's already opens works great.

Thanks for keeping µTorrent going!

Using this version' date=' the utorrent client also freezes from time to time, especially when downloading speed is over 1MB/s[/quote']

Are you on Windows 7 x64?

2.2.1 -> 3.0 release-> 3.1 alpha

WIndows x64. The reported problem(80% of 8G is consumed) is a rare situation, but I think it strange to use about 800MB memory.

I set disk cache to 256MB, not disable the windows caching of reads&writes. The size of all torrents is 280MB or so , with a lot of rss feeds and labels. So it is not strange if utorrent takes about 300MB to 600MB. But I have no idea why the rest of the memory is gone occasionally?

BTW, is it possible to stop uttorrent reading all torrents when it starts?

Besides, if the default value of gui.update_rate is 1000, the client is unable to use. I manually set it to 15s to make it respond a bit faster.

So it is not strange if utorrent takes about 300MB to 600MB. But I have no idea why the rest of the memory is gone occasionally?

No one can really say what Windows cache will do. So everything is possible...

However it should NOT be possible to disable Windows cache, define your own uTorrent cache as 128M and get a ~0 queue (=cache) and minimal cache ratio-performance like I showed. This is simply a bug, and a serious one!

57232417.th.png

3.1 3.0

ioeval313diskcachequeue.th.png ioeval303diskcachequeue.th.png

So it is not strange if utorrent takes about 300MB to 600MB. But I have no idea why the rest of the memory is gone occasionally?

No one can really say what Windows cache will do. So everything is possible...

However it should NOT be possible to disable Windows cache' date=' define your own uTorrent cache as 128M and get a ~0 queue (=cache) and minimal cache ratio-performance like I showed. This is simply a bug, and a serious one!

57232417.th.png

3.1 3.0

ioeval313diskcachequeue.th.png ioeval303diskcachequeue.th.png

Thanks.

I always set this option "disable windows caching of writing" when using 2.2.1 version.

But the user manual says that it may cause increased disk seeks (and I suppose this option will let utorrent to use more memory ), so I unset the option when using 3.X.

And you're right, this option seems to fail to work in 3.1alpha.

What bug ? On What OS? and was it fixed according to the change logs ? what rate limit ? upload/download/both ?

I just have a feeling that possibly, the upgrade process itself is causing issues. Here (XP) both limits work flawlessly.

And what do expect when you upgrade to an alpha grade release ? If anything, I would go for 3.01.

What bug ? On What OS? and was it fixed according to the change logs ? what rate limit ? upload/download/both ?

I just have a feeling that possibly, the upgrade process itself is causing issues. Here (XP) both limits work flawlessly.

And what do expect when you upgrade to an alpha grade release ? If anything, I would go for 3.01.

Read my post properly, I upgraded from the normal release to the alpha BECAUSE of the bug.

It's download only and it's specifically in the scheduled time frame - the uploads seem to remain scheduled.

Win7 64bit SP1

Interestingly it's the 'limited' bandwidth time zone. (light green, not dark green in the scheduler)

hi all hoping for some assistance just upgraded to v 3.1 beta (25835) 32 bit am running win7 ultimate 64 10gb ram was all fine until upgrade now am unable to get get any downloads to work have tried 4 different sites and 12 different torrents but to no avail all i get is this error message " metadata not being loaded!" have tried looking in the forums but could see a solution please help

I may be missing something but if I reset my feed history for one of my feeds it doesn't start downloading them again until I remove the feed and readd it.

It'd also be nice to be able to set the path where I want to download them as you add the feeds. Otherwise they start downloading to the default directory.

As a feed it's usually a series of the same type of file & it's desirable to have them go into a specific folder.

If I say do not download automatically and later go to change it to start downloading them automatically once I have my folder set it doesn't start downloading them either.

Why does BitTorrent Inc. seem to think it's worth spending developer time on "Device Integration" and "Share" - odds are these will be used by a small minority of people - and not on some truly great ideas that will help the majority of users, like Arvid's "Tracker Exchange" / BEP 28? qBitTorrent has already implemented a version of TEX. :(

...Also these 3.1 promises and ongoing issues. Should they not also be carried forward from release to release? They are no less relevant now than they were for 3.0.

Why does BitTorrent Inc. seem to think it's worth spending developer time on "Device Integration" and "Share" - odds are these will be used by a small minority of people - and not on some truly great ideas that will help the majority of users, like Arvid's "Tracker Exchange" / BEP 28? qBitTorrent has already implemented a version of TEX. :(

...Also these 3.1 promises and ongoing issues. Should they not also be carried forward from release to release? They are no less relevant now than they were for 3.0.

TEX is practically useless, honestly. The DHT coupled with peer exchange will find you all the same peers.

And we'll still fix some of those 3.0 issues. We've already been working on some of them (poor performance with lots of torrents for example).

PEX is mostly useless. Did you look at the huge amount of irrelevant PEX peers you get? This means they do more harm then good, by making the peers' list huge, and delaying connections to the good peers (from trackers). Maybe this BEP 28 is more RELIABLE ?

I think the issue was more related to development tasks priorities. Focus on "Devices" feature and a new "resume" system before performance and bug-fixes - completely messes up this release (GUI, cache and much more). This is, in fact, regressing uTorrent instead of improving the 3.0 line as planned :(

Archived