Why isnt there a way to change a torrent's download location..?

Invy

Why isnt there a way to change a torrent's download location, after renaming the folder that contains the downloaded files?

For example the folder of a particular download was named:

[www.whatever.com] blah blah blah xvid-etc

but I renamed the folder to remove the bracketed part, so that it was just

blah blah blah xvid-etc

So utorrent tells me error: files missing or whatever, as expected. So, I right clicked the torrent and went to advanced > set download location, and tried to browse to where I had moved the folder and its files, but utorrent doesn't see the files/folder because utorrent is STUPID.

I know you can go to the FILES tab and manually change all of the files locations' seperately, but there should be another, easier, convenient way.

If a torrent only contains a SINGLE file, then it's no problem for utorrent to see a changed filename.

Why isnt the same true for a torrent that has a folder structure inside?

Am I stuck to use the bencode editor tool here?

Sorry but that is irrelevant to my problem.

Did you even read at least the first line of my post for the full question?

Here's the quick story. Seems like I am repeating myself but here goes..

I changed the folder name of a few specific torrents I downloaded because they didn't sort alphabetically in my DL's folder, due to having [ ]'s, or whatever else characters in the beginning of them. I can now no longer seed these torrents due to the folder rename, which is expected.

So now I'm wanting to know how to change downloaded location of these 'already loaded into utorrent' torrents that has undergone a RENAMING to their respective ROOT folders, so I can continue to seed them. I'm not a leech or else I could have just deleted them from utorrent, and go about my way.

I already tried to 'set download location' for each torrent but it simply does not work because utorrent is looking for the original folder name which doesn't exist anymore because I renamed them.

This problem only pertains to torrents that multiple files in them. not a single file like a avi or whatever.

i knew you could change caption with F2 but didn't know it was this useful.

so after I do that I simply set the torrent download location again, and based on the caption name it will reflect it onto the folder name? cool

though, it would be nice if changing the caption would 'automatically' change the folder name or even file name!

• 1 month later...
Change the caption for the torrent in the listview with F2.

Is this seriously the only option? I have some torrents that I want to relocate to generic folder names like "Season 1". I really don't want a bunch of torrents showing in uTorrent as "Season 1" and thus not telling me clearly what each particular torrent is. I would really rather set the download location to the ACTUAL directory where the torrent files are, not the parent directory to which uTorrent would then add the torrent name. If there is no way to do this then I'll have a ton of duplication (2 copies of each torrent), which I was really hoping to get away from, :(

• 4 weeks later...
Change the caption for the torrent in the listview with F2.

Is this seriously the only option? I have some torrents that I want to relocate to generic folder names like "Season 1". I really don't want a bunch of torrents showing in uTorrent as "Season 1" and thus not telling me clearly what each particular torrent is. I would really rather set the download location to the ACTUAL directory where the torrent files are' date=' not the parent directory to which uTorrent would then add the torrent name. If there is no way to do this then I'll have a ton of duplication (2 copies of each torrent), which I was really hoping to get away from, :([/quote']

Yeah, this is seriously infuriating. And in some cases the "rename the torrent to the directory name you want to save into" workaround doesn't even work - I have some batch torrents with multiple seasons, where I want the files split up into multiple directories, one per-season (ie, <show name>/Season 1, <show name>/Season 2, etc), so that my HTPC setup can process them properly.

One workaround I did figure out after some trial and error is to temporarily delete the name entirely (select torrent->F2->del->enter, should leave the name column blank for that torrent), then do your relocating, which will fall back to the sensible utorrent2 behaviour of putting things where you actually said you wanted them (presumably since it can't actually create a folder with no name), and you can split files across multiple directories easily. Once you're done, just rename it back to something meaningful. Just, er, do it one torrent at a time, or it gets confusing.

Personally, I can't say I've ever found the new behaviour helpful, and I've had to struggle against it to get things downloaded where I wanted them multiple times. Having an option to toggle it off would be nice, or just give it some smarts and figure out when it would be unhelpful (ie, a good heuristic might be that if the selected download path contains the name of the torrent, don't create a new folder with that name because the user probably knows what the hell he's doing and actually wants the files in those specific subdirectories).

In version 2.04 I found that if I did not set a download location in the preferences then utorrent would ask me where I wanted to download the files to.

However, I've just 'upgraded' to version 3.x and it won't do that, it always puts them into \My Documents\Downloads.

When I first tried version 2.21 I think it was it did the same and there was no way to change it back then. I guess I was hoping that this stupid behaviour would have been ditched by now, obviously it hasn't been, so its back to version 2.04 I go I guess.

Don't even get me started on why a torrent downloading app should be a media player too, not one of the best choices the coders have made IMHO.

MaX

Archived