No incoming connections...orange triangle in bottom right corner.

Acidman

I have been using uTorrent for a couple years now, with absolutely no issues.

This is the second time in the past week I am having this problem.

My client is showing that little orange triangle with ! in the bottom right hand corner (no incoming connections. Now and then it will switch to the green (all good) icon briefly, and then go back to the "no incoming connections" icon.

I have zero upload and zero dowload. I seeing the numbers of peers or seeds per torrent, but not connecting to any.

Now, about 10 days ago, of no choice of my own, my whole neighbourhood was switched over to an internal wireless network, with no option left open to keep my own ISP. First time this problem occurred last week, I checked with the network administrator whether certain protocols or types of sites were being blocked, and the answer was negative. After a few hours, everything reverted to normal, and I have been seeding and DLing at max speed ever since....that is, until now.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I am at a loss.

I suspect it is something to do with the network that the administrator is unaware of, so it would help if someone could point me in the right direction.

Still having this problem at random times of day, lasting hours at a time.

In the setup guide test, it is telling me:

For Network:

Port is not open (you are still able to download).

For Bandwidth:

Results: Speed test failed.

Connection failed error: Timed out (10060)

Speedtest.net shows me I am maxing out my adsl connection; 5.5Mb/s DL, 59Kb/s upload.

I am on the verge of trying a different client, seeing as I have not received a single word of help either here or on the private tracker forums I use.

I do like uTorrent, and have been using it a few years without a problem, until 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Some feedback would be appreciated.

Now, about 10 days ago, of no choice of my own, my whole neighbourhood was switched over to an internal wireless network, with no option left open to keep my own ISP.

This fucked you over. No amount of client changing is going to fix this.

The only chance you have to get anything close to this working is ipv6 tunneling (such as with teredo). Unless you can get enough control to forward a port, that's ALL you can do.

Your network type within Win7 might have changed from Work/Home to Public. Go to Control Panel / Network Sharing Center to check.

I would start by temporarily turning of your Windows firewall and see if the problem goes away.

As well:

It's NOT a Utorrent issues, it's a network issue. Was your Utorrent port being forwarded properly before, before they changed your Wireless network ? You "might" try approaching the Network Admin and ask him if he can setup your workstation with a static internal ip via dhcp then port forward "your" Utorrent port to your static ip. This would hardcode the open port to your workstation. You can find out what port "your" Utorrent install is using by going to Utorrent / Options / Connection / and look at the port number used.

I assume this is a corporate environment, as you are talking about a Network Admin, or am I wrong here.

tstwitter

Your network type within Win7 might have changed from Work/Home to Public. Go to Control Panel / Network Sharing Center to check.

I would start by temporarily turning of your Windows firewall and see if the problem goes away.

tstwitter

I was still on home network, so switched over to public setting.

Disable Windows firewall, with no effect.

As well:

It's NOT a Utorrent issues, it's a network issue. Was your Utorrent port being forwarded properly before, before they changed your Wireless network ? You "might" try approaching the Network Admin and ask him if he can setup your workstation with a static internal ip via dhcp then port forward "your" Utorrent port to your static ip. This would hardcode the open port to your workstation. You can find out what port "your" Utorrent install is using by going to Utorrent / Options / Connection / and look at the port number used.

I assume this is a corporate environment, as you are talking about a Network Admin, or am I wrong here.

tstwitter

Yes, I think you are correct about it being a corporate environment.

I never had port problems before.

Thanks for the advice. I hope the network administrator will understand, as english is not first language here, lol.

Now, about 10 days ago, of no choice of my own, my whole neighbourhood was switched over to an internal wireless network, with no option left open to keep my own ISP.

This fucked you over. No amount of client changing is going to fix this.

The only chance you have to get anything close to this working is ipv6 tunneling (such as with teredo). Unless you can get enough control to forward a port, that's ALL you can do.

Thanks for that advice.

I am just reading up on teredo now, but looks complicated.

I will try tstwitter's advice first, and see if the network admin can help.

I still find it strange that this only happens intermittently. I expect by tomorrow morning, I will be seeding and DLing full steam again.

tstwitter

"I was still on home network, so switched over to public setting.

Disable Windows firewall, with no effect."

Oh man, keep it on Home or Work. That way it will be open communication to the gateway/firewall. Disable the Windows firewall anyways and I would leave it that way for at least a week until you get this all resolved. If your behind a quality hardware firewall you... don't really need it on, except to prevent viruses from attacking your workstation from some other infected computer inside your network.

Is your connection Wireless ? Could this be an issue of the wireless network disconnecting intermittently then reconnecting later ? You could test this by, when Utorrent goes funking and gives you an amber light, click on the wireless network connection in the bottom right and see if your wireless connection is... connected. I guess you could also see if your browser can get to the internet as well when Utorrent goes funky.

tstwitter

Hi DreadWingKnight,

If you don't mind, could you do me a flavour. could you look at my post

"Name of torrent used as the first directory name of the download"

I think its something basic and I trust your option. Thanks

tstwitter

p.s. I couldn't find anyway to PM folks

tstwitter

"I was still on home network, so switched over to public setting.

Disable Windows firewall, with no effect."

Oh man, keep it on Home or Work. That way it will be open communication to the gateway/firewall. Disable the Windows firewall anyways and I would leave it that way for at least a week until you get this all resolved. If your behind a quality hardware firewall you... don't really need it on, except to prevent viruses from attacking your workstation from some other infected computer inside your network.

Is your connection Wireless ? Could this be an issue of the wireless network disconnecting intermittently then reconnecting later ? You could test this by, when Utorrent goes funking and gives you an amber light, click on the wireless network connection in the bottom right and see if your wireless connection is... connected. I guess you could also see if your browser can get to the internet as well when Utorrent goes funky.

tstwitter

I was worried being on "home network" when you suggested checking, as it seems that anyone else on this wireless network can access my system. I could be wrong though, as when I look at the network map, I see only myself, the gateway, and the internet. I am a bit lost as to exactly how this wireless setup works, as the new router is still hardwired to my PC and and the adsl connection. I am not quite sure how the antenna on the router works.

I have seen the internet connection drop occasionally since switching over to this new wireless connection, but I do not think it is related to this problem. As I said before, my UL and DL speeds are maxed out on speedtest.net, but I cannot connect with anyone on my client....and no problem browsing either.

I have seen the internet connection drop occasionally since switching over to this new wireless connection, but I do not think it is related to this problem. As I said before, my UL and DL speeds are maxed out on speedtest.net, but I cannot connect with anyone on my client....and no problem browsing either.

Haven't quite got all this quote stuff down pat.

Me thinks you have a port/firewall issue at the gateway that has been introduced with your new wireless network. Port 80 is always open and gives you great browsing and speedtests will work perfect, port 110,21 and 443 and the dns port will be open, BUT all others might be closed. Which would hose utorrent.

Question, when you click on the green check mark/orange triangle in the bottom right of utorrent and choose "Run Tests", what do you get ?

Hi Acidman,

If you don't mind I would like to try something. Let's see if we can get utorrent to work over port 80! Which is always open for webbrowsing. It's can't hurt, if your willing to try ?

Go to Options / Preferences / Connection / and copy and past the port number you have there into something like notepad and save it on your desktop, as UTorrentconfig.txt . Something like that so you can always go backwards. Next, go into that same area and change to port number to 80. Save

Watch as see if you start getting connections on Utorrent. On a side note, new commercial quality firewalls can actually "detect" bit torrent activity on ANY port, but the firewall in question might not be that high quality. This will test it. For example if the firewall is MS ISA, then yeh it will block your torrent activity. Lets just test and see what happens...

tstwitter

Hi Acidman,

If you don't mind I would like to try something. Let's see if we can get utorrent to work over port 80! Which is always open for webbrowsing. It's can't hurt, if your willing to try ?

Go to Options / Preferences / Connection / and copy and past the port number you have there into something like notepad and save it on your desktop, as UTorrentconfig.txt . Something like that so you can always go backwards. Next, go into that same area and change to port number to 80. Save

Watch as see if you start getting connections on Utorrent. On a side note, new commercial quality firewalls can actually "detect" bit torrent activity on ANY port, but the firewall in question might not be that high quality. This will test it. For example if the firewall is MS ISA, then yeh it will block your torrent activity. Lets just test and see what happens...

tstwitter

I went into the router, and manually opened the uTorrent port permanently, so I will see how it goes now.

At least setup guide is now showing the port open, although speeds are still atrociously slow evening times. I suspect the ISP may be throttling speed for P2P sharing.

Waiting for word on whether I can vacate this damn network and return o my own ISP connection.

Archived