[Timer] Auto Announce (Update Tracker)

randomint

if i'm right, the client will auto announce every 30 minutes, and that's unchangable (apart from manual announce)

i hope there'll be an option of how often it'll update tracker (announce) eg. 1-45 min

at least 2 reasons it'll be useful

1. some people are "not connectable", if a person jumps on a torrent, they have to update tracker to get his IP in order to be connected with this person, thus an option for updating more frequently will be helpful

2. some people on private sites care about their stats, if the computer crashes or the internet disconnects accidentally, all the stats after last update will be lost

i think many clients don't have this feature, it'll be awesome if uTorrent has it

thanks

The problem with letting users change the announce is that when they set it too low, their client hammers the tracker, and it becomes slower or may become unresponsive altogether if there's enough peers hammering it at any one moment. Loss of stats for half an hour or less is something you can deal with. It may be helpful to you at the moment, but it won't be when everyone scrapes the tracker in 5 minute intervals and kills it. Clients have been banned before for scraping or updating far too often than is actually necessary (Azureus for example). What COULD be done is have the client automatically scrape at a reduced interval on low seed/peer torrents, but a reasonable amount like 15 minutes.

yes, i think that can be a problem, and 1 min is really a bit too short

what i always do now is keep refreshing the site page, see a peer, then manual announce, oh just to let you know, i do this when i'm the uploader, and i'm sure people hate starting a torrent and doesn't start downloading for 20 min

i think TBsource code is set at 5min, then 10min, then 20min, then 30min forever, some sites changed that to reduce site load

so i really like it to be something like 10min, though 15 min will still be a lot better than 30 min

OR can the client be set to follow the site's default announce time? this i think many clients have

Well, one possibility is a "smart" announce interval algorithm. Depending on the number of seeds and peers, the announce interval changes. Low seed/peer counts get lower intervals, and higher amounts get higher intervals, capped at say, an hour at most. It's what Azureus does right now, and it seems to work well enough, since logic would dictate that scraping more often would be more important for smaller swarms than larger swarms.

You don't really have to update manually that often if you're the seeder, since as a seeder you'd get an incoming connection when the peer got your IP from the tracker.

Archived