Please Help: uTorrent stopped working and no tech knowledge!

TreyO

I'm a complete tech idiot and uTorrent seems completely frozen. I was uploading at (unlimited), the internet provider hasn't cut my uploads/downloads and although I'm online, uTorrent doesn't appear to be.

Feel free to call me what you will, but I'd appreciate the help and it really has to be explained for a dummy!

Thanks @Mac-the-Knife for getting back to me. I didn't even know where to look for more info honestly, so that already helps me. I went to the set-up guide, ran a test and it said that the speed test failed due to the socket not being connected. But, this is not the case as I have full internet connection.

The issue is with all torrents and my settings are on unlimited. Thanks!

Have you clicked the trackers tab and seen if any trackers are connecting as it could be as simple as the trackers gone down.

If you find you just aren't connecting to any trackers, then you could click the info button, then find the hash key, copy it, then click the link below:

http://torrentz.eu/

paste the hash key in the search bar, then when it goes to the page, scroll down until you get to the trackers. Copy all the trackers, then go back to uTorrent, right click on the torrent you are downloading, then click properties. This will bring up a list of trackers, notice they all have a space between them. Go down to the bottom of the trackers list, leave a space, and paste the trackers in that you have just copied. If it's a tracker issue then this should solve it.

Thanks again! I understand and I could do these steps, but foolishly, I don't know how to find the "tracker tab" nor the "hash key". I'm being a little high maintenance here, but is there any chance you could describe the literal path to these?

If you are using uTorrent 3.0 then you should see some tabs about half way down. When you click on your torrent and click on a tab it gives you various information. The tabs are in order of files, info, peers, ratings, trackers, pieces, speed, logger. If you click on the tracker one then you will see (or should see) a list of trackers. The trackers will give various information, but you are looking for a tracker that says working. If you can't find one, or one says working but isn't downloading anything, then click the info tab, scroll down and five lines down in the general section you will see hash, copy the very long line in front of it, that is the hash key. I wish I knew how to copy a shot of uTorrent itself (as others do) but I haven't found out how to do that yet.

I know exactly where you are talking about, but, I only have the tabs Files, Info, Peers, Ratings and Speed. There's no Tracker option. However, when I right click on a Torrent, there is an "Update Tracker" option and it appears to have the key you're talking about. The only problem is, from what you're saying, without that Tracker tab, I'll be unable to see if it is active or not.

I'm definitely using 3.0 (Says that on the top left)

Thanks to you pointing out where I should be looking, I right clicked on the tabs section and I saw that the Tracker tab had not been "checked". I've added this and I'll have a look to see if I can go through the rest of the steps.

Thanks!

I updated the trackers like you said, but there's no change. The two things that concern me is that 1) It was working fine and all of a sudden stopped for all downloads (So, I'd prefer to not have to update trackers for each DL) and 2) When I go to Help, it says that I'm not connected?.

Do you think it's the issue you originally mentioned still?

Thank you

First off, I didn't say to update trackers, I first asked you to look at the list of trackers and see if any of them say "working" by the side of them, and gave you information of how to add more trackers if none are working. It sounds to me though that you have a problem connecting to the internet. When you click on help, will it let you open the uTorrent Webpage?, if not, try connecting to the webpage by putting utorrent webpage in your browser and then clicking on uTorrent Web in the list that comes up. Personally, if it was me, I would uninstall uTorrent and download and install it again and see if that works. Will check back once more tomorrow to see how you're doing, but then away for a week. Hopefully a fresh download might sort the problem, or perhaps a far wiser person than myself might be able to help on this forum.

Archived