µTorrent Plus Alpha release

AdamK

Alpha release features seem pretty cool. I like the remote idea where you can check your downloads from wherever you are.. via mobile etc.. but i do experience a bug.. Every time i load up utorrent it keeps asking me for my security question over and over... i insert it correctly and the box disappears for about 10 seconds, then pops back up again. Iv even created about 2 other accounts for Remote and i get the exact same thing.. if i press Cancel once it asks for the Answer the box doesn't appear again.. just thought id share this with you. Also does anyone else experience this?

Gaz

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Alpha is a bit of a resource hog. And when it checks a torrent, even one that is around 20MB it takes forever to finish.

As far as features that I would like to see added: 64bit...

My Specs:

Intel P6000 1.87GB(Dual Core)

3GB of Ram

250GB HD

hey bud you sure its not something else eating your memory... Utorrent on my pc uses very little resource :/ ... maybe try some clean up tools to clear junk files/temp files also try a defrag.

Checked 99.9 - Stop - Start - (Not responding)

(3.1 build 26462)

Could you provide a dump of uTorrent when this happens? Open Task Manager, go to Processes, right click on utorrent.exe and hit create dump file. Compress it, upload it to some file locker, then email me the link.

Thanks!

List of uTorrent Plus Alpha bugs / quirks I've encountered

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on Core i5 2410 with 8GB RAM

1. Hash fails - When downloading a relatively large file (More than 100MB, in my case it was Kubuntu 11.10), hash keeps failing and loads of bad data is downloaded, however, download still progresses albeit really slowly because each piece is usually downloaded 4 times until uTorrent believes it's the correct one. Download will advance until the last piece, which will never complete as it goes into an infinite loop of hash check fail and redownload. I have to manually stop the torrent and force a recheck which completes the download right away but apparently without the last piece.

2. Crashes - When downloading multiple torrents, the completion of one torrent will cause the application to crash, and at least one restart of the application is needed where uTorrent will recheck everything and finally complete that torrent. (Note: Not all the torrents will cause a crash, most of the time it's the large ones.)

3. Streaming seldom works - I've noticed that streaming of video files don't work 90% of the time. Most of the time uTorrent will bring me to the media player with a blank picture and the video will never load. Only when the video is a small one, such as a clip of the larger video, then will it stream content over successfully.

4. Apps - I've noticed that once you install an app, there is no way to uninstall it.

5. File priorities - Default file priority says 'low' on the right click menu, but is actually at level 8 (normal) under the 'files' tab. Also, with the right click menu, you can't set the priority to 'high', but you can using the 'files' tab.

Feature suggestions

1. Enable manual peer blocking - Add something like 'Kick Peer' under the 'Peers' tab. This will be useful when a guy keeps sending bad data.

2. Plus Activation - Send a notification to the user when uTorrent Plus is fully activated (Not just the individual components) so we know when it's safe for us to shutdown :)

Yup, that's all for now. Just like to thank the devs for making such an awesome program again :D

1. Enable manual peer blocking - Add something like 'Kick Peer' under the 'Peers' tab. This will be useful when a guy keeps sending bad data.

No it won't. There's already mechanisms in place to deal with bad data.

A right-click and kick/ban peer will ONLY be abused for micromanaging of torrents which will cause massive performance hits swarm-wide if left unchecked.

The categorisation of the downloads are not accurate, in my case, after i stop seeding a torrent, it is not seen in completed downloads, but have to go look in all torrents to find it. Also finished downloads can be seen in downloading category.

Also, one one of the torrents was recieving loads of hash fails, but utorrent 3.1 was not blocking the peer. It was only one user, as whenever any piece was being downloaded from that user. Finally, the user was not visble in the list and the download completed. whew!

Total size of the files ~ 4GB, hashfails ~ 2GB!

Using µTorrent 3.1 Beta (build 26462) [32-bit]

Today I noticed one of my torrents had alot of comments (sorry, using Swedish, so the tab's named "Betyg", grade?). Anyway, scrolling the comments using the scrollbars works fine, but using the scrollwheel on the mouse, the background turns all black. Really annoying effect.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Regards,

/Jörgen

Most of the CPU when downloading files with high speed.
On what Windows-OS and what CPU type?

Can you show a screenshot of your cache settings (pref->advanced->cache) and speed-tab->disk cache ?

I get ~ 12-15% CPU at 20MBps speeds (c2d E4400 @ 3GHz Win7 32bit)

Most of the CPU when downloading files with high speed.
On what Windows-OS and what CPU type?

Can you show a screenshot of your cache settings (pref->advanced->cache) and speed-tab->disk cache ?

I get ~ 12-15% CPU at 20MBps speeds (c2d E4400 @ 3GHz Win7 32bit)

My PC config: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66 GHz

My OS: Windows 7 Profession (32-bit)

diskcache.png

Try and use the cache settings as in my sig/guide. Actually you are welcome to try the whole settings.dat file... :) And be so kind to show also the speed->disk-cache graphs... you don't happen to have a slow HD, right ? test with file-copy between disks. I get 60MBps write speed.

Archived