uTorrent downloading in the background as multiple processes?

cooldude2012

Hi,

Just a few minutes back, I noticed from 'Networx' data monitoring program that some program was transferring data over the Internet at high speeds (190kBps on a 2Mbps connection). By the time I noticed it, almost 400MB was used up. I had absolutely no idea which program was causing the transfer. Task Manager showed uTorrent (2.0) as a running process.

I switched off the modem, installed uTorrent 3.0 (why I had 2.0 initially is mentioned at the end of this post), opened up Network Activity in Resource Monitor (perfmon) and switched on the modem to troubleshoot the issue. Found out that uTorrent was the culprit. The interesting thing is this: When I hovered the mouse over uTorrent icon on system tray, it showed ZERO network activity. You can see it in the attached image towards the bottom right. But Resource Monitor shows otherwise (10kBps). How is this possible?

Also, when I opened up Task Manager, there were multiple uTorrent processes running. On ending the process tree, Resource Monitor network activity became zero, as expected. Why do I see multiple processes running?

Another issue, which I was not bothered about, was the improper working of Scheduler in version 2.0. I had it enabled to work from 2am till 8am, but uTorrent worked as if scheduler was disabled.

Image: Resource Monitor

Thanks in advance.

PS:

1) The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

2) I had downgraded uTorrent from 3.0 to 2.0 because ver 3.0 too had multiple running processes in the background.

3) I googled for an explanation to this issue, but couldn't find any. I hate to admit that the above issues are the result of some wrong observation on my part as I have been using uTorrent for about 4 years.

Good to hear that. Thanks! :)

But it didn't explain why I saw uTorrent running from Task Manager while uT icon was not visible in the system tray.

Anyway, to be on the safer side, I installed a program called NetBalancer and limited the bandwidth available to uTorrent. No more unwanted downloads!

Thanks once again. :)

"But it didn't explain why I saw uTorrent running from Task Manager while uT icon was not visible in the system tray."

Yeh, that happens sometimes. My Win7 system is quite slow and it does that sometimes. There is not much you can do except try to run Utorrent again and then the app pops up as usual. You can try stopping the Utorrent Process, but I often find that corrupts a few downloads and you need to Right Click / Force Recheck to fix the download.

"Anyway, to be on the safer side, I installed a program called NetBalancer and limited the bandwidth available to uTorrent. No more unwanted downloads! "

You might try going to Options / Preferences / Bandwidth and change your Global Download rate to something like 500 kbs. Then Utorrent won't suck your internet connection dry. That probably will keep your system cleaner (and faster) then adding any bloatware to your system, as you will be controlling the IP speed right from within Utorrent.

Are you having any issues with the number of downloading torrents at one time ? Or is it more a max download bandwidth issue ?

I always try to stay away from anything "watching" the network connection as it will slow down your network connection in general. As well, if your system goes sideways.... it's usually because of some 3rd party software. I have hosed servers in the past using network aware utilities like that and find it safer instead to use the utilities within the app (utorrent) or within Windows instead. Anyways, that's just my 2cents worth.

tstwitter

So nice of you to reply with a detailed post. :)

I agree with the first two points and the third is new information for me. Will keep an eye on it and see if the 3rd party software is causing any decrease in bandwidth.

And no, there are no issues with the number of max downloads and things like that as I keep the number of simultaneous downloads to a maximum of 5. It's just that uTorrent downloads some file when I am not aware of it- no uT icon in the system tray/ uT status bar does not display 'Downloading' at times but downloads in the background.

Hum,

Is that a problem if Utorrent is running silently in the background. I mean, yeh its nice to see the icon and app window when you click on it. But... is it adversely affecting your desktop/laptop operation?

Your answer might be "Yeh, it's sucking the internet pipe dry at work and I'am running on a laptop and want to control Utorrent". But if Utorrent is just running in the background downloading happily is that,..OK. Again, your answer might be "I want to see it running". Does clicking on the Utorrent icon bring it back into normal operation ?

Question, what if you go to Preferences / General / and ensure Start Minimized is unticked. Does that help ?

tstwitter

Archived