Show connection status in icon

blackspawn

Hello, first let me congratulate everyone involved in developing this great little exe file :)

I've search the feature request list (the one with voting) but didn't find what I'm about to suggest so if this has been proposed before then... sorry for repeating the request. Now onto my (2 point) wishlist:

- (this is minor but nevertheless...) uTorrent could display connection status (green/yellow/red) by changing it's icon tray color, that way when minimized just by looking at the systray I could tell the connection status.

- I think the file status icon color is misleading (that case where the tracker is unavailable). Red usually indicates a problem with (in this case) the connection which isn't necessarily true (just now I'm going @ 40+ KB/s in a "red" status file) I think either a diferent color or even another icon for tracker connectivity show be used (and the red color reservered for example for files with less than 1 for availability)

2) taht status icon means u cant connect to tracker ok, however u will connect only if there is people connected to DHT or if utorrent remembers the peers that were connected to you before, it's perfectly fine as not everybody uses DHT or peer exchange or had not started the torrent before, it has never meant to say u wont be able to download

and changing the torrent status icons have been asked before, maybe not for tracker statuses but people dissagree with it, I disagree with it :P

1) i disagree, the connection status need not to be monitored all the time. You once set your configuration so you'll get the green status and then you can forget about it.

i'd still like to see a little bandwidth graph, like i already "requested".

2) i think tracker problems are the most important, so keeping the display of icons like its is now is ok for me. Of course, there are lots of other problems that can be present but it can't all be fit into one status icon.

I think he means that since there is already a green dot at the bottom of uTorrent, you already know that your side of the connection is fine. Therefore when your connection is ok and have a problem connecting to a tracker, it should be yellow to show that there is a minor setback on the other end that will likely resolve itself after a while. And red should be for critical errors on your side (hard drive space, no network detected, etc.)

• 1 month later...

What about showing the status of downloads in tray icon? For example, when I use skype I pause all the torrents, and sometimes I forget to resume the download :/ 'paused' icon would help a lot in this case, and I think that it is not resource-eater

• 1 year later...

Seems like the very first feature request of the topic starter was succesfully forgotten in later discussion:

uTorrent could display connection status (green/yellow/red) by changing it's icon tray color, that way when minimized just by looking at the systray I could tell the connection status.

I think that changing color of the tray icon could be very helpful in monitoring current status not only of uTorrent, but of the whole internet connection too.

(if there are enough active torrents, these things became almost the same)

Now I have to at least move mouse pointer onto the icon to see the actual ul/dl speeds to be sure my torrents go fine & so internet connection works too & despite it's a helpful feature, with changing colors this checking could be done in more simple way & without a delay.

The easiest way could be for tray icon to reflect a color of similar color-changing icon in uTorrent window, which shows status of outgoing - incoming connections.

Of course, it would be even better if a tray icon color could change according to some speed settings made by user, like for example:

Less than 1kb - red.

From 1kb to 10 kb - yelow.

More than 10kb - green.

Maybe even ul or dl criteria could be used together with speed thresholds.

Archived