Is bit-torrent safe?

nullpage

I have trouble with the species which is after using BIT TORRENT.

It thinks of wanting to ask the opinion of you to this problem.

I used uTorrent several times so far.

Then, in spite of being passing many day already after using uTorrent last, the access to my uTorrent still continues.

This much access sometimes caused my internet access a problem, too.

My global IP changes hardly.

When accessing BIT-TORRENT network, will it not become as the IP of the client was memorized for a long time somewhere of the BT network?

If this access is the intentional act of someone, it is my personal problem.

However, if the problem is in the BIT-TORRENT network itself who contained specific CLIENTs and TRACKERs, it thinks that it should solve it.

This strange message was made by the machine translation from Japanese .

Sounds like DHT traffic, though it's odd that it would continue for days... In any case, BitTorrent is as safe as what you download. There's nothing wrong with the protocol itself, but we can't guarantee that everything you download from it is 100% free of malware.

I understood roughly.

Because I am a low-speed ADSL(Paradyne Reach DSL) user, this might have become a problem (Though it might have been another problem).

The access to me is in the decreasing tendency now.

And, there is no problem in usual Internet access.

I seem to have to learn the Bit-Torrent protocol more.

Thank you for everybody.

If you disable DHT then the amount of ip traffic to your connection will be considerably less.

DHT is only of much value to you IF you are trying to download poorly-seeded torrents. For popular torrents, it's not just overkill -- it uses bandwidth better spent uploading to others OR downloading yourself!

(Note: DHT actually uses only about 0.1 to 4 KB/sec up and down bandwidth, it's only the number of connections it makes which is a killer of numerous 'usb' connections, DSL modems, and routers.)

If you have bandwidth limits, I guess it you don't want DHT. Apart from the bandwidth that gets used when DHT is active (and which is indeed overkill for most torrents, especially with Peer Exchange in the mix), it will still use 5 - 10 MB 24 hours after you connected. Eventually, the traffic will die out, but it takes some time. As Firon said, the packets use very little bandwidth, so they will not affect your connections speed, just your datalimit if you have any.

The only problem that could arrise if you have an ISP that changes your IP every 24 hours. While it would not be your problem, it would mean loads of packets going to destinations they're not supposed to (but that is something the majority of p2p will have problems with).

In the end, I still don't get why this situation is neccessary. Why would you ever, for something like DHT, cache a nodes IP for over 24 hours? If you do that, you should also listen to ICMP's which tell you when the node is closed/disconnected.

On a side node, while the impact of this is minimal per connection: Say 100.000 users use DHT. At some point, they disconnect, yet, DHT traffic continues for 24 hours with about 5-10MB (depends on whether on not somthing send back an ICMP). 100.000 x 5 to 10 MB = 500GB - 1 TB of waisted/useless bandwidth consumption in 24 hours.

Another issue arises when people change their BT ports often (the "Randomize uTorrent port each time it starts" for instance).

Archived