3 MB/sec yesterday - 20KB/sec today! Am I being throttled?

khkg

Hi, I've got Fiber-To-The-home here in Kanagawa, Japan. Up until yesterday, I had been getting 1-3MB on popular torrents. Now, I'm getting about 20kb max. I'm not familiar with throttling and anti-p2p techniques, but this seems suspicious, especially considering I can still download quicktime trailers off apple.com at 3MB/sec

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, thanks for the response. I tried Open Office. Same problem. Most torrents I download have a thousand or so seeders and only a few peers, so speeds were usually good.

I have enabled encryption. Should I set it to "Forced" ?

I recently read about setting "peer.lazy_bitfield" to true. I'm not exactly sure what this does, but will try it. Also will try port 1720.

I'm praying my ISP is not to blame. I had to sign a two-year contract :(

Well OpenOffice.org is already a legal torrent, and is probably one of the best "benchmark" torrents available. Since his speeds are still horrible, it probably is the ISP. And there's nothing wrong with setting Forced if your ISP is indeed blocking BitTorrent traffic (and I guess you should disable legacy connections while you're at it).

Just to be sure, try a HTTP download to check if you're actually getting good speeds at all.

Archived