Error: Is a directory

youmakemesick1

A torrent is downloading and all of a sudden it stops with a red exclamation mark symbol and the status is "Error: Is a directory". This is ridiculous. No, there's no other folder that has the same name as any folder in the torrent. The torrent creates it's own folder with the contents of the torrent. So it's impossible to have a folder with the same name unless utorrent itself is messed up and trying to overwrite a folder it already created in some kind of retarded loop.

I'll start the torrent again, it'll start working, 5 mintues later, ERROR. IS A DIRECTORY. Is utorrent is trying to execute a directory? why is that?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently seeing the same thing with utserver on Linux. The torrent I'm downloading has three strange files, "" (yes, that's a blank line), ".alt", and ".alt.alt". My guess right now is that either the torrent file is bad or utorrent messed it up. Either way, I've started the torrent now and told utorrent to skip these three files. Time will tell if it finishes downloading, and if the files are good or not :)

I am having a similar problem,

it first comes up with Error: invalid download then I force recheck the torrent and it turns into error: is a directory

I downloaded these files a while ago from a number of private trackers and have been seeding them for a while, I want to continue to seed them. Some of them have those .alt files but others do not.

If any one can shed some light that would be appreciated, ones 204.1 GBs so I don't really wanna delete and re-download.

I'm running Version 1.5.11 (25801) thanks!

Same error here since update from 1.0.x to 1.5.11 (25801). Either the torrent already is in "is a directory" failed state or it says "invalid download state". If you re-check it goes to "is a directory".

Looks almost random as to which torrents fail. Wild first guess: Special and or non-english characters in the filenames that are included in the torrent. For me that seems to be the only thing the affected torrents have in common. They all have files in them with characters like i.e. ³, ß, $, etc

If i recall correctly there was a similar issue with special and/or non-english characters in the past?

----

Just looked at the torrents again. Theory doesn't hold up it seems. Seemingly random files are "missing" from the files tab and will show up as " " (just a space), ".alt", ".alt.alt", ".alt.alt.alt" and so on.

/Edit: Forgot to wrote that deleting settings (from the troubleshooting guide) won't solve the problem, problem still occurs with a "fresh" utorrent install

• 3 weeks later...

Just downgraded to version 1.0.3. Had to re-download a few .torrent files because the ssl bug is still in this version but at least i can seed all my torrents again. A few features from 1.5.3 would've been nice, but when i can't seed all my torrents thats a showstopper for me. Also UI in 1.0.3 is much faster/more responsive for me and the CPU usage is nearly cut in half which matters a lot on the old machine it runs on. I guess i'll have to live with the ssl bug. One bug which is relatively easy to bypass is better than overall decreased performance and unseedable torrents ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
LISTEN TO ME JUST RIGHT CLICK THE TORRENT AS IT HAS THE RED MARK NEXT TO IT AND GO TO "ADVANCED" - "SET DOWNLOAD LOCATION" - and set it to download to downloads

:))))))))

This worked for me. You have to slide down the pop up menu that appears to

Advanced -> Set Download Location

Thanks, kemosabe.

Cy

• 6 months later...
LISTEN TO ME JUST RIGHT CLICK THE TORRENT AS IT HAS THE RED MARK NEXT TO IT AND GO TO "ADVANCED" - "SET DOWNLOAD LOCATION" - and set it to download to downloads

This didn't work for me... any ideas?

I also excluded the *.alt files... no luck.

This didn't work for me... any ideas?

I also excluded the *.alt files... no luck.

So I decided to turn all files to "don't download" so I could add them back one at a time... but wouldn't you know the thing disappears from the list as soon as I put "don't download" on all files. Of course I can't simply open the torrent file again because it thinks it already has it. DESPITE THAT it won't show it anywhere in the list. LOL!

I swear uTorrent has some design choices that make absolutely no sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, guys. I was looking high and low for an answer to this problem and found nothing useful. But i think i solved it doing something simple. I'll attach and image. When "Error: Is A Directory" appeared, that bar was full of green. I deleted that file in the folder, re-checked (Right click > Force Re-Check) and was solved. I was stuck in 56%, now i'm in 82% and downloading. Hope this helps. This was in this case i was downloading this torrent, but you can try something like this with yours. Capturadepantalla2012-10-13alas135413_zpsa9405a33.png

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Simple fix: look at the location you have selected to save downloaded content to. Ensure that it is not automatically selected as "backslash" ("/"). This is considered a directory and does not establish a save location. Suggested save locations include /Users/"username"/Downloads or /Users/"username"/Desktop. The location of downloaded content may be accessed and modified via the Right Click menu, expanded upon right click on file name (located in download queue). This applies to Utorrent version 1.8.0 running on Mac OSX 10.7.5

Let me know if this works for anyone and good luck!

I am having this same problem, I got to 51% and got this error. In my case I've pinned the problem on a couple of files in the torrent, one that has no path at all, and one that is ".alt". If I disable the file from downloading then I get "error: FixPartFile: is a directory". The files do not appear in the folder of the download.

@BYOMusic: I have tried this and it does not work.

• 5 weeks later...

Falling back to an earlier version of uTorrent worked for me.

I had this error on my iMac with OS X (10.8.2) and fell back from uTorrent 1.0.2 (23439) to 0.9.3.10 (19343). This seemed to fix it and the torrent downloaded to completion.

I had earlier tried to delete certain files like .m3u (no .alt file seen) and remove the torrent and uncheck them and restart. But these various solutions didn't work for me. Also tried right click download but it didn't work for me either. The fallback uTorrent I had already on my computer because usually I rename my old uTorrents before I download a newer one.

Good luck and thanks for your help here. It got me going. I hope my experience can be of some use.

• 1 month later...

This work for me:

1. Move all the downloaded files from the torrent into another location.

2. On uTorrent delete the torrent file and download it again.

3. Wait until start to download, and right-click / Show in Finder.

4. Stop the download, and quit uTorrent (don't know if this is necessary but just to be sure).

5. Move again all the files already downloaded to the new folder.

6. Open uTorrent, and right-click / Force Re-Check. NOT START because this going to delete the files.

7. Once it was re-checked, start the download.

Hope this was useful.

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I solved this by setting download location but the folder does not have to have any blank spaces. I was using "Utorrent Files" and it was not working. "Utorrentfiles" worked for me.

However, I still have problems with the files that does not have any name. With the field "name" empty, the error is still ocurring. Is there a way to edit this name?

• 3 months later...

I have found a solution to this. The folder I wanted to download had files with alt. alt. alt. in it and at 17% of the download it always showed Error:WriteToDisk:IsADirectory. This was when I was using uTorrent 1.8.4 (newest version). I tried all the above solutions and I found that downgrading your uTorrent (I downgraded to 0.9.3.7) works. The file downloaded to completion. This was on my Macbook. I presume if you're using PC you downgrade as well.

I hope this will be of use to any with complications.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I got it. We have to manually create a folder using the ADVANCE option. So after clicking on ADVANCE go to create and type a name of a folder that you want. That fixed it for me. A new folder will be created and the torrent will be inside it.

What's annoying is that this didnt happen with all torrents but just some that have specific non ASCI characters in it, like japanese torrents.

Archived