WebUI load torrent doesn't work

crlorentzen

Hi,

When I load a torrent file via the WebUI it doesn't actually work. I used to get an error like cannot load "" it is a directory. Now I get "Can't save temporary torrent file '/home//00017722-00x.utt'"

Reproduction Steps

1. Start utorrent via a terminal window which you will keep open so that you can see the error (As WebUI Logging doesn't seem to work for most things).

cd /utserver/install/dir

./utserver &

2. Download any torrent file to your Desktop. I chose http://www.legittorrents.info/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=5623c51ab0cb2b94867f41d21d00acdaeff4a305

3. Open the webui and select the Add Torrent button (left most on the toolbar)

4. Select the torrent which you downloaded and hit okay. Encounter an error like "Can't save temporary torrent file '/home//0001722-002.utt'" on the terminal window you left open.

Expected result, file is downloaded to a temporary folder and then is loaded into utorrent.

It looks like either the webui is placing the file wrong, or the WebAPI in the Linux uTorrent doesn't properly select a temporary folder. Really you should use /tmp as all applications/users have access to create files there and read them back.

Running WebUI 0.385 with utserver {"build":25053} based upon the getversion output of the webapi.

Ubuntu 11.04.

I don't know if there is any log I can send as it all seems to be put out to the STDOUT...So please let me know what else I can provide to help with this issue.

I used to get an error like cannot load "" it is a directory. Now I get "Can't save temporary torrent file '/home//00017722-00x.utt'"

Unusual attempted choice of temporary directory.

Reproduction Steps

1. Start utorrent via a terminal window which you will keep open so that you can see the error (As WebUI Logging doesn't seem to work for most things).

cd /utserver/install/dir

./utserver &

2. Download any torrent file to your Desktop. I chose http://www.legittorrents.info/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=5623c51ab0cb2b94867f41d21d00acdaeff4a305

3. Open the webui and select the Add Torrent button (left most on the toolbar)

4. Select the torrent which you downloaded and hit okay. Encounter an error like "Can't save temporary torrent file '/home//0001722-002.utt'" on the terminal window you left open.

Expected result, file is downloaded to a temporary folder and then is loaded into utorrent.

I tried what you did. I got the expected result. The terminal message in my step 4 was:

uT HTTP torrent add of '/tmp/00003107-0001.utt' succeeded

Really you should use /tmp as all applications/users have access to create files there and read them back.

That's what mine and everybody else's uTorrent Server installation does as far as I've heard: uses /tmp by default for the creation of temporary files. Your installation is the only one I've seen that attempts to go to some non-existent directory in /home.

Running WebUI 0.385 with utserver {"build":25053} based upon the getversion output of the webapi.

That's what I see also, when I press F2 to show the About box (which uses the output of the action=getversion command).

Ubuntu 11.04.

I ran on Ubuntu 11.10 to try your instructions.

I don't know if there is any log I can send as it all seems to be put out to the STDOUT...

That's easily remedied. If you read the documentation in the docs directory in the archive, you'll find the set of arguments supported by the utserver command-line program. One of those is how to specify a log file to send log output to.

So please let me know what else I can provide to help with this issue.

I'd be curious what the values of your environment variables are, or how you modified your system from the default installation, or if you are running on a VM.

Thanks mcdonald.

1. I was able to fix the issue by setting the dir_temp_files to /tmp. Curious why it wasn't trying this when I didn't set it explicitly in the utserver.conf file.

2. I also found the logfile option. Thank You again. I do wonder why these logs are not forwarded to the webui Logger.

3. The About information in my webUI (F2) doesn't show the utorrent build...not sure why that would be.

Anyways, Mark this thread as resolved...hopefully it wasn't too much of a bother and it helps someone else out in the future.

1. I was able to fix the issue by setting the dir_temp_files to /tmp. Curious why it wasn't trying this when I didn't set it explicitly in the utserver.conf file.

Your system is the only one about which I've heard this sort of report.

I do wonder why these logs are not forwarded to the webui Logger.

The web UI's log tab only shows browser-side messages. It would be nice to present server messages in that tab or some other part of the web UI.

3. The About information in my webUI (F2) doesn't show the utorrent build...not sure why that would be.

That's another symptom of your unique system, I'm guessing. I've never seen a report of that failing or seen it fail myself, including on all the embedded devices we work on.

Anyways, Mark this thread as resolved...hopefully it wasn't too much of a bother and it helps someone else out in the future.

I don't consider it resolved, but I understand you are choosing to live with the problems or have found a work around to a problem.

If you are curious, you might set logmask to 0xffffffff in your configuration file and run utserver with that configuration for a little while. I'd be curious if you see any interesting log messages.

What locale is referred to by the LANG environment variable in the terminal in which you run utserver?

That's another symptom of your unique system, I'm guessing. I've never seen a report of that failing or seen it fail myself, including on all the embedded devices we work on.

Ultima's WebUI doesn't show the utorrent build information when hitting "F2".This is possible only by included in tarball WebUI. :)

Ultima's WebUI doesn't show the utorrent build information when hitting "F2".This is possible only by included in tarball WebUI. :)

Thanks Milt, I have moved to the included one. I guess this means that the webui in active development is not supported and explains why the RSS feature doesn't work. Which is my other thread...

mcdonald,

Language information

echo $LANG

en_US.UTF-8

After moving to the built in webui.zip I commented out the temp_dir setting and I didn't see the issue. So it seems to relate to me trying to use the common webui instead of the default provided with the server. So apologize if I wasted all of your time.

......................................................................................................................................................................

After moving to the built in webui.zip I commented out the temp_dir setting and I didn't see the issue. So it seems to relate to me trying to use the common webui instead of the default provided with the server. So apologize if I wasted all of your time.

I don't know about RSS feature,because i not using,but I'm sure,that not WebUI causing a problems.

I think that you have a problem with folder permissions or something like.

Try again with "clean install" of µTorrent server and WebUI 0.385!For example you can do this from desktop or home directory,and see the results.Also i recommend to set dir_request and use it,when make a changes in config. file.

By WebUI 0.385 I assume you mean the one that comes in the utserver.tar.gz and not the one located in the WebUI thread under the WebAPI forum. Yes?

And to clarify my test with loading from RSS, it was with the 0.385 from here: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58156 and I selected an entry in the RSS Feed to load via that WebUI.

BTW: Found a workaround for the RSS Load. By adding a dir_root I was able to get a successful load.

Config Before

bind_port: 10000
ut_webui_port: 10080
dir_active: /mnt/btrfs/Download/Torrents/Temp
dir_completed: /mnt/btrfs/Download/Torrents
dir_torrent_files: /mnt/btrfs/Download/Torrents/Temp
dir_autoload: /mnt/btrfs/Download/Torrents/Load
dir_autoload_delete: 1
dir_temp_files: /tmp

Configuration after

bind_port: 10000
ut_webui_port: 10080
dir_root: /mnt/btrfs/Download/Torrents
dir_active: /Temp
#dir_active: /mnt/btrfs/Download/Torrents/Temp
#dir_completed: /mnt/btrfs/Download/Torrents
#dir_torrent_files: /mnt/btrfs/Download/Torrents/Temp
dir_autoload: /mnt/btrfs/Download/Torrents/Load
dir_autoload_delete: 1
dir_temp_files: /tmp

It seems like most of my problems have stemmed from not explicitly setting all folders...I have also added dir_request so that I can test config changes more rapidly moving forward...

Archived