File and directory permissions

linut

utorrent-server-3.0-debian-25376.x64.tar.gz

utorrent-webui.2011090319521148.zip

I am curious to understand why files are satisfactorily downloaded with mode 644 permissions while any directories created are set to 777, leaving them open to abuse. For directories, mode 755 (umask 022) seems more appropriate. Are there any configuration variables to adjust utserver's behaviour in this respect?

Apologies if I have overlooked any previous discussion on this topic and if so please point me to it.

I am curious to understand why files are satisfactorily downloaded with mode 644 permissions while any directories created are set to 777, leaving them open to abuse. For directories, mode 755 (umask 022) seems more appropriate.

The server product was derived from the embedded product. The embedded product didn't need to restrict permissions on directories; those who configure the embedded product on their respective embedded device can use directories that aren't accessible outside the device. The server product inherited this behavior.

Are there any configuration variables to adjust utserver's behaviour in this respect?

Permissions on data files can be specified through the umask of the invoking shell, but there isn't a configuration option for directories.

Archived