Quick Start Guide to utorrent (Ubuntu 11.04)

melvincv

OMG, I can't believe that there is no proper documentation to use utorrent server for Linux! A newbie like me using Ubuntu will have no idea to launch it. So, here goes: UT for dummies.

1. Download utorrent to your home folder. Right click the downloaded file (Eg:utorrent-server-3.0-25053.tar.gz), click 'Extract here'

2. You will get a folder called utorrent-server-v3_0 in the same folder as the downloaded file. Open the folder.

3. Right click the file 'utserver' and make it executable by following this step .. right click on utserver > properties > permissions > add tick on Allow executing file as program > close it

4. Run the file 'utserver' by double clicking it.

5. Nothing happens. It's alright. utserver is running as a background program.

6- open your browser like firefox , chrome , opera ... etc

7- type in URL : http://localhost:8080/gui/

8- username: admin

no password

9. You got the utorrent web interface, right? Hope this guide was simple enough...

P.S. Utorrent devs: Please integrate a simple doc of this sort that ppl can understand easily.

For more tech news and tutorials, see:

http://livetechbytes.wordpress.com

..................................................................................................................................

P.S. Utorrent devs: Please integrate a simple doc of this sort that ppl can understand easily.

Great idea.Just forget to say that it must be under the label: „for idiots“

I was using Transmission on ubuntu. It lacks a proper scheduler. Thanks to the guy who posted a similar guide, I'm using utorrent now. :) Definitely a plus for the utorrent community. So if it helps people switch over to utorrent, I strongly support integrating a simple doc for those who just want to use it.

ubuntu 11.10

user1@ubuntu1:~/Programs$ sudo chmod -R 755 utorrent-server-v3_0

user1@ubuntu1:~/Programs$

user1@ubuntu1:~/Programs$ cd utorrent-server-v3_0

user1@ubuntu1:~/Programs/utorrent-server-v3_0$ utserver

No command 'utserver' found, did you mean:

Command 'tserver' from package 'freewnn-cserver' (universe)

Command 'ttserver' from package 'tokyotyrant' (universe)

utserver: command not found

user1@ubuntu1:~/Programs/utorrent-server-v3_0$

Tried solutions 1 and 2, still no go.

Prompted for application to open/run file(Do I need to install wine?)

utserver is not running in System Monitor

• 1 month later...
user1@ubuntu1:~/Programs/utorrent-server-v3_0$ ./utserver

./utserver: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

user1@ubuntu1:~/Programs/utorrent-server-v3_0$

I had the same error, although I use CentOS instead of Ubuntu. I managed to fix it using the following commands.

You need to make sure you have the openssl package installed first. Enter the following command

sudo apt-get install openssl

If you get an error that the package is already installed that is OK. Type the following commands:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8

Then try running the command

./utserver

again from the folder you unzipped to.

Hope this helps

Ayub

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, the reason there is no user docs is because this is an Alpha release. It is intended to get some constructive feedback from people who already have an understanding of how to run it.

If you can't work out how to run it, then don't worry. Try again when the beta release is out. That should have docs, plus a bunch of bugs fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem as above that Ayub solved. I tried his solution and I keep getting the same error. Below is the code that I'm getting after trying the solution.

media@media:~/Programs/utorrent-server-v3_0$ ./utserver
./utserver: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
media@media:~/Programs/utorrent-server-v3_0$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8
ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8': File exists
media@media:~/Programs/utorrent-server-v3_0$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8': File exists
media@media:~/Programs/utorrent-server-v3_0$ ./utserver

• 1 month later...
Where can I find a better thread on how to get uTorrent to run in Ubuntu?

TKS

Bob

What problem are you having?

I just open a terminal, change to the utorrent-server-v3_0 folder by typing.

cd ut*

then I type

./utserver

and the server starts.

Then I open my browser, and start my bookmarked localhost:8080/gui

• 6 months later...

Archived